Author Topic: Dry sump oil systems  (Read 5384 times)

Offline 1 fast evo 2

Dry sump oil systems
« on: March 01, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »
I am in the process of developing a dry sump oiling system to work on early Mitsubishi's and I would like to make sure that it is legal to run in the classes I want to run in ?
The classes I believe would be ---
 G/PS
 G/BFCC
 G/BGCC
 G/BGALT
 G/BFALT

The car is a mitsubishi evo 2. It is a sedan and has a 2 liter 4 cyl. turbo engine and all wheel drive.
 Also if anyone here would like to give me some pointers on dry sumps it would be greatly appreciated.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Dry sump oil systems
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 09:45:33 PM »
Yes it's legal and yes you should have one.... IMHO.

As for advice I'll try to add some a little later (tonight or tomorrow) when I have some time.

Good Luck on your adventure.....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 12:03:04 AM »
Has anything changed form the rules about active traction control and 4 wheel drive???
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:57:58 AM »
I don't have my 2007 rule book at hand so not sure if rule has been changed but rule 2P (in prior years) says 4 wheel drive is legal in Production and Special construction only.
To make a car legal in ALT is easy (cover grille and/or headlights) To make it legal in Comp Coupe is not so: CC REQUIRES  one of the following: Top chop, full belly pan, lengthened front minimum 12" or engine set back. My sense is only the belly pan is an option for you. However, unless the 2P rule is changed, you can't run in the Modified Category. Could someone double check that for him?
Jack
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »
Jacksoni- thanks for the answers-yes I was planning on a belly pan(if I run in that class)-and as far as I know and have heard from a couple of people there is a differentiation between 4 wd and allwheel drive. My car is allwheel drive and as far as I know is legal for these classes. I have not picked which class or at most 2 classes I want to run, but I can tell you that PS is not my favorite due to the very boxy nature of this car. And yes I know I should start out with a more sleek vehicle but this car has already been built as my drag car and then modified into a milecar so I figured just a little more and it could run b-ville hopefully with some success. Either next year or the year after I will bring a new car built just for land speed racing probably built off of a talon which is actually not bad aerodynamically.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:22:43 PM »
Mike- I just looked at my 2007 book.  It says " 4 wheel drive SYSTEMS". I would not presume that I know what SCTA meant or tech inspectors might say but to me that means all wheel drive is not allowed.  Not sure who suggested otherwise to you but I'd get an official answer before investing a lot changing things.  I saw some of your posts about tires and I am surprised no one has commented as you clearly say is AWD.  Good luck. Sounds like awesome car. You going Maxton in April or May.  I expect to be there in April (if the crik don't rise and it doesn't blow on the dyno). Look for a very grungy white Firebird running G/GC
Jack
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 10:33:33 PM »
No AWD (or 4WD) in anything outside of PS. Add to that the fact that the salt has quite a bit less traction than concrete and remove 2 of your drive wheels and you are about to experience some insane wheelspin. The question you have to ask yourself is if you want to make you car a FWD or RWD. Not to hard on the DSM's.

As to the dry sump, IMO it is a must with your setup.