Author Topic: moroso drag special tires  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Jeremy Blaze

moroso drag special tires
« on: February 27, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »

Would moroso drag special tires be approved to use?

Specificlly in the 150 mph club?
Never been to the salt.  Drag racer

Offline Bob Drury

Re: moroso drag special tires
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:15:35 PM »
Jeremy, drag race tires are engineered and manufactured to go in a straight line with minimal side loads.  If your car weighs more than a ton I would think twice.  One nasty spin could ruin your day to say the least.................
Bob Drury

Offline Jeremy Blaze

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:20:36 AM »
Understand, but don't a lot of people use and recommend the goodyear front runners? Also a drag tire.
Never been to the salt.  Drag racer

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:17:09 PM »
Understand, but don't a lot of people use and recommend the goodyear front runners? Also a drag tire.

Goodyear has front runner drag and front runner land speed tires.  The land speed are rated to 300 mph and have more plys than the drag tire.  People do run both, but I would at least run the land speed on the back since they are built to be a driven tire.  If you only ever plan on running the 150 mph club then check with USFRA and see what they allow.  Under 200 you have a lot of options on tires and some were discussed not too long ago on here.  If you can't find that under a search, say so and maybe someone can find that thread.

c ya,

Sum

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
Here's an example of a moroso front runner on a 4000lb+ car ran to +/- 200mph. As I commented on before, after conversations with moroso and m/t tires, front runners are only meant to run up to a 1/4 mile, not sustained speeds for 5+ miles. I know alot of guys run front runners and that's why we ran them to start, but after experiencing this sudden loss of psi I will only use land speed tires on this car or any other project we build in the future.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 02:11:39 PM »
was that tire ran on the rear or the front   i see screws in the rim  i think thats why they call them FRONTRUNNERS  willie buchta

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 02:41:22 PM »
Ran on the rear (as alot of guys do). Screws are for moon disc.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »
wheel has a lot of offset so i assumed it was a rear rim  i run in the motorcycle class so dont know much about frontrunners other than drag racing in which case we ran them on the front i have seen a lot of lsr cars and bikes run them some on the rear   i run v rated tires shaved they are good to 200 mph when i go over 200 i will switch to a frontrunner on the front and a ZR on the rear-- bikes are a lot lighter and way less frontal area than a car most dont spin the tire as much -- just some thoughts   willie buchta

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »
Jeremy, Sheri, Willy, Uncle Ralph, etal:  One more time, drag race tires are not made to take side loads, period.  When your ass goes sliding sideways at any speed over 100 the first thing you are going do is ask  your self if being so f---ing cheap was very smart. Safety equipment, tires, tools and Beer: you get what you pay for......................Bob

Bob Drury

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 08:15:57 PM »
bob if i have a side load on my bike tire im way past the point of careing about to much especially what a tire costs  --motorcycle get it willie buchta