Author Topic: LSR Tires/introduction (kinda long)  (Read 23668 times)

Offline 1 fast evo 2

Re: LSR Tires/introduction (kinda long)
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 12:19:25 PM »
Bvilercr- I am planning to run the 4.5 " width tire what doyou folk think ?
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »
Sum- It's funny that you mentioned that because that is where I was just at(on your website, oh and thank you very much the website is an awesome utility. You have an envelope on its way from me).
By the calc. on the spread sheet I come up with these # 's

With very reliable rpm limit of 9,500 rpm I come up with:
stock 5th gear and short tires= 218 mph
taller 5th and short tires= 238 mph
taller 5th and 27.8" tires=261 mph

So unless I have an awful lot of wheel spin I should have enough gear.
And if I don't have enough gear there is always more rpm on the last runs.

What are your gear ratios for each gear??  How much drop going into 5th??  Not dropping out of the power band??  So can you change 5th, but not the others??

I personally would keep the 4-5 rpm drop as little as possible and try and work with the tire size.  We now have a 7% overdrive going from 3rd ( 1 to 1) into 4th (.93) and really like that at the moment.  If you listen to one of the runs from this year on You Tube about the 2 you can hear the 3-4 shift and the rpm only drops about 500.  We are geared like this for two reasons right now.  Our cam probably maxes out around 7400-7500.  When we ran 241 in '06 with less boost it would only pull 7070 rpm.  We ran more boost last year and ran 243, but by that day the track was way bad and Hooley had way less throttle (according to the data) than when we ran 241.  We are trying to run 250+ for his AA lic. and now if the motor wants to pull 7400 we will get there in 3rd.  If it likes the 7000 rpm we will get there in 4th.  So we have some options, but need more weight or a better track than we had at the end of the week last year.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 01:49:04 PM »

And the 307 is an average, do you know what his fastest speed is? 
[/quote]

Fastest mile was 333.

Dave Davidson (not Davenport) will be the driver of the new roadster, also looking for 3+

Remember, there can only be one 1st.....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »
Sumner-I am very limited on gear choices with this car. I have the tallest final drive that I can find in the car and there are only 2 usable 5th gears(I'll be bring both with as it is very easy to change 5th gear, we can do it with the trans. still in the car).
There are 1 or 2 other 5th gears available but they make the gear split too great. As it is whem I shift from 4th to fifth it will drop down to approx. 7,200-7,300 rpm which is right at the torque peak with the smaller turbo that I had last year. I will probably also be bringing at least 2 different turbo with and try to balance the cars performance with them also. I will probably start out with the smallest one !
I would like it if I could get a set of tires that would be like 26.5" tall but oh well.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
Oh ya I almost forgot, several people mention adding weight to the car. By running the numbers it doesn't look like it will need any but I want to bring it with just incase and I would like to know where is the best place to pick up the lead.
I don't know if this is in the right place, if it's not could someone move it please.

Thanks
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 02:32:46 PM »

And the 307 is an average, do you know what his fastest speed is? 

Fastest mile was 333.

Dave Davidson (not Davenport) will be the driver of the new roadster, also looking for 3+

Remember, there can only be one 1st.....

[/quote]

I knew I was close, thanks for the correction. :-D

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 02:35:18 PM »
Bvilercr- I am planning to run the 4.5 " width tire what doyou folk think ?

The choice is yours.  We have run over 288 with a 10 inch foot print using Goodyears.  A lot of people fear the large foot print, we do not.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2008, 02:37:44 PM »
  I believe that a lot of wheelspin problems at speed is caused by airodynamic lift, it has been proven that speeds around 160 mph the suspension will go into droop with less weight on the tires. Jim Hall ' Chaparral' figered this out around 1965 resulting in the spoiler then the adjustable spoiler while running,then the wing and adjustable wing. I wonder if we will ever catch up to that 1960's tech?
     The formula 1 cars run 60-65% Rear weight and so do we on the 222 car, 288mph+ coupe. Rear engine lakesters, dragsters and funny cars probably have more.
    JL222

Here is a good indication about weight ratios.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2008, 02:42:29 PM »
Sumner-I am very limited on gear choices with this car. I have the tallest final drive that I can find in the car and there are only 2 usable 5th gears(I'll be bring both with as it is very easy to change 5th gear, we can do it with the trans. still in the car).
There are 1 or 2 other 5th gears available but they make the gear split too great. As it is when I shift from 4th to fifth it will drop down to approx. 7,200-7,300 rpm which is right at the torque peak with the smaller turbo that I had last year. I will probably also be bringing at least 2 different turbo with and try to balance the cars performance with them also. I will probably start out with the smallest one !
I would like it if I could get a set of tires that would be like 26.5" tall but oh well.

One thing you have going for you with the turbo and gear split is they like a load.

If you are going to run Speed Week don't forget the limited runs when thinking about switching things around.  I would suggest going with what you think might be the most middle of the road package that you could get more or less aggressive with if needed.  If you decide on a class I would try and maximize to run say 5 mph over the record unless the record is really soft.  Try not and get too greedy, you can do that after you own the record  :-).  The other meets are also somewhat limited as they don't run as many days and often "weather out" and come up short.

Is the motor still a G motor or bored/stroked?? and a F motor.  The G comp coupe, altered coupe and blown gas coupe all look very doable and most of those in the fuel classes look the same.  If you are now F then I would look at the blown gas coupe class and maybe forgo the other two for now.

I think your weight might be fine with the all wheel drive, but you could be right on the edge, so taking some is a good plan.  Is the weight now about 50/50??  GH is collecting wheel weights at a couple tire places that he will melt down I believe.  Personally I'm not crazy about messing with molten metals.  I think Speed Way sell lead weight and if you still can't find any Phil (RustyT) on here bought some and maybe he will post or I could check with him and let you know.

c ya,

Sum

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2008, 03:59:07 PM »
short.
 GH is collecting wheel weights at a couple tire places that he will melt down I believe.  Personally I'm not crazy about messing with molten metals. 

Wheel weights are usually the easiest and cheapest way to get lead, unless you have a big scrap metals place that you can buy it in bulk.

Working with molten metals deserves all of the respect that one might think it does, and is well worth reading up on safety precautions before doing so!  The home built boat guys have lots of information on this, so Google is your friend.

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2008, 05:05:04 PM »
The motor at this time is an F motor at .020 over but I will put together a G motor for b-ville which is a .010 overbore.
Going with a middle of the road setup is what I was leaning towards thanks for backing that up with your opinion. I'll probably go with the 5th gear that's in it now with the taller tires and also the medium turbo that I have on the car right now(this turbo hasn't been on the dyno yet but it will be before I go to Maxton in april) but I am expecting a little over 1,000 awhp at max output, which I will not run at b-ville. I have driven the car with this turbo and it is very lively(it gets on boost about as fast as the smaller turbo I was running).
I don't remember if I mentioned it but I am taking the car to the A-2 wind tunnel on the way to Maxton in the spring to get some numbers and make sure the car is as stable and safe as possible. I wouldn't mind if we pick up some speed which is almost for sure considering I am driving a 4-door box.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2008, 05:23:08 PM »
..........hasn't been on the dyno yet but it will be before I go to Maxton in april)..........

I think you are taking a realistic approach to this and wish you good luck.  You going to be at Maxton in May??  I'm planning on being there then and would like to see the car and meet you along with a lot of others  :-),

Sum

Offline Chicane

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2008, 06:45:17 PM »
10k huh ?? Well... I guess you have that aspect taken care of. :-D WOW... that has got to be a real zinger and I can understand why you would not want to buzz it too long after the flying mile.

...but I want to bring it with just incase and I would like to know where is the best place to pick up the lead.

BSR Products sells bricks of lead (approx 1x2.5x?? 22# or 2.5x3.5x?? 35# + 47#... and even 1/8x30x30 47# sheet). In a last ditch effort... a scuba diving shop will also have a good assortment of shapes and gross weights available. They are even friendly enough to drill holes thru or mounting.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2008, 08:14:42 PM »
4-wheel drive is limited to Production and Special Construction (Rule 2.P, page 22 of 2008 Rule Book).  All-wheel drive is 4-wheel drive as far as SCTA is concerned.  If the wheels are driving, they're driving.  (At least that's my take on the rules.)

4-wheel drive is not allowed in Gas, Altered or Comp. classes.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records