Author Topic: LSR Tires/introduction (kinda long)  (Read 23660 times)

Offline Chicane

• New folks
Re: LSR Tires/introduction (kinda long)
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
230-240 MPH huh ??

That is like 9275 to 9680 RPM (@ ZERO slip) with a 28.0" tire and the EVOII drive train. I don't know too many full blown drag racers that run more than about 8700 RPM... and that was to just get thru the beams at the big end of the 1320 in fourth gear.

I also agree with Sum... you'll probably need to add some weight and you will need to take it to the big end. So I would plan to take it to the long course... and plan to take it to the 5th - 6th mile.

You have definately peaked my curiosity.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 09:24:20 PM »
230-240 MPH huh ??

That is like 9275 to 9680 RPM (@ ZERO slip) with a 28.0" tire and the EVOII drive train. I don't know too many full blown drag racers that run more than about 8700 RPM... and that was to just get thru the beams at the big end of the 1320 in fourth gear.

I also agree with Sum... you'll probably need to add some weight and you will need to take it to the big end. So I would plan to take it to the long course... and plan to take it to the 5th - 6th mile.

You have definitely peaked my curiosity.

Yep, I made the bad assumption he could gear it, but maybe that might be the limiting factor.  We've run 243 with less HP probably than he has and I have a feeling his CdA might be better than ours.  5 miles even with the right gearing can be a long time  :cry:, even when you are going fast,

Sum

landracing

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 09:43:11 PM »

You mean from the 4-5 mile don't you? If you power from the 5-6 I think the timer might get testy...Assuming an SCTA event.

:)

Jon

Offline Chicane

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 09:52:28 PM »

You mean from the 4-5 mile don't you? If you power from the 5-6 I think the timer might get testy...Assuming an SCTA event.

:)

Jon

I guess I should have clairified that a little better... I meant driving it out to and dropping the laundry at the 5-6. Considering 230-240 MPH within the 3-4 with the available HP and chassis weight is a little aggressive... I would think.   :-D

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
..................Considering 230-240 MPH within the 3-4 with the available HP and chassis weight is a little aggressive... I would think.   :-D

Not necessarily, in 2004 #484 the Lindsley Leggitt B/BFALT (Altered Coupe) ran 307.341 mph and set the record at that in the first measured mile (2-3) and then coasted down to the 5 mile.  Now that is impressive, but with all-wheel drive 1 fast evo 2 (what is your name anyway??) might not need that much more weight and if he can gear it right it might be a good idea to make a drag race out of it to the 3 and see how that works.  It would make it easier on the motor.

I still can't believe 307 with a door slammer in the first mile  :-o .  I'd like a picture of #484 to put on my site if anyone has one,

Sum
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 10:23:35 PM by Sumner »

Offline Chicane

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
...if he can gear it right it might be a good idea to make a drag race out of it to the 3 and see how that works.  It would make it easier on the motor.

That's just it... the EVOII is unbelievably limited to final ratios of 5.xx

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 11:23:25 AM »
You guys are all coming up with great questions and I really apprecieate the help.
Sorry about not posting my name I thought that I had but anyway my name is MIKE REICHEN .

Chicane -in the DSM drag community even stroker motors are turned to 9000 rpm
my car is regularly spun to over 10,000 rpm. The car see's over 9,000 rpm in 4 th gear on the drag strip(this is with short slicks)-when racing the standing mile races last year I was pulling 9,200-9,400 rpm in thestock 5 th gear with 25" tall tires. For this season I'm changing the 5 th gear (for the mile races) and at B-ville I will have the 27" tall tires.
You are right about the fact that there are not many gears available and I will probably be rpm limited at bonneville, which is why I think it will be over by the 3 rd or 4 th mile. I also don't want to crank on the engine for that long.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 11:29:59 AM »
I'm sorry the tires I will be using are 27.8 inches before tire growth and the tires I run in the mile are 25.3 inches tall. So the tire diameter and an approx. 9 % taller 5 th gear should help with the rpm problem, if I run out of gear with this set up I will be one happy camper. I'll go do the math and figure the theoretical speed without slipage.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »
..................Considering 230-240 MPH within the 3-4 with the available HP and chassis weight is a little aggressive... I would think.   :-D

Not necessarily, in 2004 #484 the Lindsley Leggitt B/BFALT (Altered Coupe) ran 307.341 mph and set the record at that in the first measured mile (2-3) and then coasted down to the 5 mile.  Now that is impressive, but with all-wheel drive 1 fast evo 2 (what is your name anyway??) might not need that much more weight and if he can gear it right it might be a good idea to make a drag race out of it to the 3 and see how that works.  It would make it easier on the motor.

I still can't believe 307 with a door slammer in the first mile  :-o .  I'd like a picture of #484 to put on my site if anyone has one,

Sum

Sumner I can't believe you don't have a picture of the baddest doorslammer ever?  And the 307 is an average, do you know what his fastest speed is? 

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »
I'm sorry the tires I will be using are 27.8 inches before tire growth and the tires I run in the mile are 25.3 inches tall. So the tire diameter and an approx. 9 % taller 5th gear should help with the rpm problem, if I run out of gear with this set up I will be one happy camper. I'll go do the math and figure the theoretical speed without slippage.

I have some spreadsheets that are easy to plug that data into on my site.  They also will tell you the rpm drop on your shifts between all the gears.  There are 3, 4, 5 and 6 speed ones there for cars and 4, 5 and 6 speed ones for Bikes.  The bike ones also let you input primary gearing and all transmission gears plus sprocket gear and will also show you rpm drop on your shifts at any speed.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville-spreadsheet-index.html

Also the "Drag Force-HP-Thrust-Weight" one would maybe help you figure if you have enough weight in the car.  If they don't make sense post or PM me. 

On the name thing I'm not good on them, but when I can remember and if I see you in person I would rather say "hi Mike" instead of "hi 1 fast evo 2"  :-),

Sum

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
Sumner I can't believe you don't have a picture of the baddest doorslammer ever?  And the 307 is an average, do you know what his fastest speed is? 

I can't believe I don't have a picture either  :cry:, don't rub it in  :lol:, find me one  8-).

I don't know what his fastest time was and for some reason there is no 2 /14 time on that run although it would have probably been slower than the 307, but with it I could probably get close on the exit speed at the end of the 3.  I'll bet it was up around 318-319.  I've seen the video of the run and it is unbelievable.  I was there also, but don't remember seeing the run.  On the video I can hear the timer faintly (I think it was Glen) announce the speed and I kept replaying it to see if what I heard was right as I couldn't belive the 300+ at the 3 was right, so I found the meet results and yep it was right.  He had slowed all the way down to 282 by the end of the 4 (wish we could slow down like that  8-) ).

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 11:57:42 AM by Sumner »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »
I'm 90% sure he went 331 and I believe he broke a front spindle which ended his year.  Haven't heard of him running the car since. :-o

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 12:03:48 PM »
Sum- It's funny that you mentioned that because that is where I was just at(on your website, oh and thank you very much the website is an awesome utility. You have an envelope on its way from me).
By the calc. on the spread sheet I come up with these # 's

With very reliable rpm limit of 9,500 rpm I come up with:
stock 5th gear and short tires= 218 mph
taller 5th and short tires= 238 mph
taller 5th and 27.8" tires=261 mph

So unless I have an awfull lot of wheel spin I should have enough gear.
And if I don't have enough gear there is always more rpm on the last runs.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 12:06:04 PM »
Les Leggit teched me in last year and said that the Leggits Lindsley deal was done and he had the motor back which is now in the roadster that Dave Davenport will drive...............
Bob Drury

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »
I'm sorry the tires I will be using are 27.8 inches before tire growth and the tires I run in the mile are 25.3 inches tall. So the tire diameter and an approx. 9 % taller 5 th gear should help with the rpm problem, if I run out of gear with this set up I will be one happy camper. I'll go do the math and figure the theoretical speed without slipage.

What size foot print are you going to run?