Author Topic: LSR Tires/introduction (kinda long)  (Read 23607 times)

Offline 1 fast evo 2

LSR Tires/introduction (kinda long)
« on: February 26, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »
Hello to everyone, I quess it is about time to officially introduce myself. My name is Mike Reichen and even though I haven't posted here I do read this forum almost every day and it seems like I already know alot of you. I learn more and more everyday by reading what you have done and talkabout/discuss.
I believe I have a good start to knowing what's going on by having read this forum for quite awhile and now I would like to start asking some questions of you the people who probably have the answers I need.
My first question is related to tires, I would like as many opinions as possible to help me decide which tires would be best for my pile  eer em  racecar.
The car is a mitsubishi evo 2 and it is powered by a turbocharged 4 cyl that makes in the neighborhood of 900 all wheel hp, it is a 5 speed, it will weigh about 2900 lbs without adding any weight.
I have been drag racing this car for two years and last year I finally started land speed racing in small steps(I ran several standing mile races) and now I have decided that I need to get to the salt, and yes I know there is no turning back. The tires will need to be between 26-28 inches tall to work with my gearing and my hoped for speed of 230-240 mph (I know nothing goes as planned on the salt and that it is a whole nother world out there but that is still my goal).
So I would like to answer any questions you need answered to help me decide which tires I need.
Nice to finally say hi !

Sorry the post was so long.
             Mile Reichen
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline Bob Drury

Re: LSR Tires/introduction (kinda long)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 11:58:37 AM »
Welcome,  Goodyear makes both a 26 and 28 inch LSR tire rated at 300 mph @ 1750# per tire.  Cost around $350 each.  Call Competition Tire at (610) 375-6191 or Carrol Shelby Ent. in Las Vegas.  They are the two authorized Goodyear racing tire distributors....................
Bob Drury

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 12:08:37 PM »
Welcome Mike.
Follow Mr. Drury's advice and you'll be fine. I think you're back east so Competition Tire might be the most local but I'll throw you Shelby's #702-430-5160 in case you need it.

Good Luck in your endeavors
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:08:52 PM »
............Follow Mr. Drury's advice and you'll be fine.........

......... except you are going to have to open your wallet a little more than Bob did.  I think they are a little over $400 now, but still what you need.  I would think seriously about 1 or two extra for the rear.  I have a feeling that your turbo motor comes on strong when it comes on and you could possible blister a tire if you weren't careful.  Also as we found out there are other ways to ruin a tire even when you aren't at the race track  :cry:.

Welcome and it sounds like a neat car and should go real fast.  Are you going to detune it at all for the longer track or do you feel that it will live for 5 miles the way it is??

c  ya,

Sum

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 06:28:50 PM »
Hello Mike

I too am going to be in a similar boat next year with my AWD partial because of you and Andrew B.  I was under the impression that you didn't want to take the Evo to the salt and you were going to put together something else that was a little more slick?

http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/Goodyear/GY2.shtml#LAND%20SPEED

There is a link with some tire size and price information.  I'd be interested in what kind of wheels you would be going with too.

Good Luck!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:28:36 PM »
how fast did the car run in the 1/4 mile    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 09:37:01 PM »
Was that you that brought the white Evo out to the april meet at Maxton last year???
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 09:32:16 PM »
Sorry it took so long for me to reply guys but I have been having a real hard time getting onto the site.
Thanks for all of the replys so quick.
 Yes I am in the chicago area so I will call competition tire , thanks for the number.
Do all of you feel that I will need the goodyears ? I thought there was another brand that was a possibility ?

Sumner  - Ya she does come on pretty hard and by Bonnevile the plan is to have a different turbo on the car and I don't know how it will come on, probably even harder !!
And yes It will probably be turned all the way down until I need the extra power latter on, I will also bring my original turbo with incase the other one doesn't work out.
I was worried about blistering the tires do you think it will happen ?
I don't think that the car will need the whole 5 miles, I'm thinking 3-4 but I quess we will see when we get there.

G Borman- I was planning to build my talon for b-ville but I decided not to for this year as people are just starting to know this car. I was also worried about the salt getting in everything on this car but it really needs a paint job anyway so I figure after this season I will take it apart and have the whole car acid dipped and repainted.
I have talked to marsh wheels about a set of rims, what do youguys think of this company(good - bad) ?

Willie so far in the middle of last year the car was running 8.90's at almost 160 mph and this was at about 825 awhp with a somewhat soft launch as the car will blow the rear diff. to peices if it hooks to good. I think it would have run 8.60 @ 163 mph or so with full boost and a hard launch.

Revolutionary- yes that was me last year at Maxton with the whole parachute debacle, and yes that problem has been taken care of.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »
Tires:  yes you need the Goodyears.  M/T is supposed to be making a new batch of 24.5x16 and 26x18 tires soon, but they are around $760 apiece, and only have around .040 of rubber on them.  The 300 mph Goodyears have a ton of tread on them and should last quite a while...................... None of the drag race "front runner" type tires which include Moroso, Goodyear, M/T and Hoosier are recommended unless the car is light, such as a six cylinder roadster or M/C liner................
Bob Drury

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 09:49:53 AM »
Oh ok that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Thanks alot bob !
Does anybody have any other tips orbits of wisdom. I am trying to get everything as sorted as I can before showing up and having no clue as to what's going on and not being able to race, or just getting started and something going wrong that could have been easily avoided.
It's a long way back to Chicago.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 11:23:16 AM »
Read the rule book at least 99 times. I keep mine by my chair in the living room so when I think of something I just pick up the rule book and check it out, before I lose the thought. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 11:45:48 AM »
Fred, Slim keeps his by the throne, I keep mine next to this damn computer so I can try to figure out what Dolan has just posted............... :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »
...............I was worried about blistering the tires do you think it will happen ?
I don't think that the car will need the whole 5 miles, I'm thinking 3-4 but I quess we will see when we get there..............

You will only blister them if you spin them  :-).  If I was you and you can make it happen I would try and take an extra 500 lbs. with you that you have already made mounts for and use it if needed.  Mount it centrally on the car to keep something like a 50/50 weight distribution.  I'm not familiar with the car, is it still in it's all wheel drive configuration??  If so that could change things.  If you can put down an honest 800 hp for the run especially at the big end you probably will run in the 230-240 mph range and that might be a little conservative.  I don't think I saw what class your are thinking of.  If it is a class that allows a spoiler and spill plates take advantage of that and design the spoiler in such a way that you can make the spill plates as large as the rules allow and I would suggest a flat spoiler to begin with anyway.

.............................I have talked to marsh wheels about a set of rims, what do you guys think of this company(good - bad) ?.......................

We have used Marsh Wheels on Hooley's Stude with no problems and I have them on my lakester, but it hasn't turned a wheel yet  :cry:.  They were good to work with and very reasonably priced.  For those that might be interested I have a link to them on my links page..................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bvillelinks.htm

................ look under "Racing Products and Services" ........... then "WHEELS and TIRES",

Sum

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 01:58:20 PM »
I'm also posting in For sale section, but couldn't resist

LSR tires
M/T 24.5 X 7.50 -16
3 tires
Not mounted
Stored in Black plastic bags in the basement.
Purchased July 07.
Protected like my own child.
Price:  Just what I paid.  720 each plus shipping.
3 must remain together.   You gotta have a spare......

Rick Byrnes
Rick

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »
Fred & Bob- I have an 07 rule book and it is either next to the computer or the throne so I have that part covered.

Sumner-Yes the car is still awd
As far as horse power the car is going to be developed a little more this year but I know it will run a conservative 800-900 hp at the wheels on the long track, at the mile events we are going to deffinatly run quite a bit more hp this year ( at least that is the plan).

E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club