Author Topic: PMS-MoFa & Scooter-questions-topic  (Read 17840 times)

Offline PMS

• New folks
PMS-MoFa & Scooter-questions-topic
« on: February 21, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »
Hi,
my name is Tom and Pork Pie told my if I had a question about speed..Bonneville..classes etc. I posted here.
My dream:
Once time in my live to had a great ride on the saltflat at Bonneville!!
My hobby:
Drive fast with 2 or 4 wheels..on the street or race-track
My Motto:
Have fun in the free time

So I hope that I was able to do all 3 altogether. 8-)

I/we(K3-Team) want to start in the smallest bike class,the 50cc.
Now the question:
What class can I ride with this "bike":

It`s a KREIDLER FLORY
50cc,1,5hp,1976,15,5mp/h speed at law.
Don`t laugh... we call it MoFa (MotorFahrrad/motor-bicycle) in Germany (drive till 15 years old):-D
So we want to drive the fastes MoFa....

Must we start in the class "P"??
What things we can/must change to start in "M" ?
Must we change the breaks?Fork?Damper`s?

We are able to modify the orig.cyl./motor and drive with the orig. 3.gear motor.
Can we take off the pedals and made a gearing with foot instead with hand?

Change the seat?handlebar?take off the lights?

Sorry for that many questions,but first we must know what kind of bike we must built!

Or we take this 50cc "bike" for had fun with speed?

Kreidler Florett RS,50cc,6,8hp,~53mp/h at built,5.gear box

What class?etc....

Hope we have many helping hands here.

Greetings from the cold Germany

Tom

ps:Sorry..if this the wrong topic,please take this to the right on..thanks :-D

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 10:59:25 AM by PMS »

bak189

Re: PMS newcomers questions topic
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 05:42:26 PM »
Welcome.....the first thing we all need to know
SCTA/BNI or BUB event?????

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »
Any bike that is "as produced by the manufacturer" would run in production class.  Any modifications must be out of view (motor internals, muffler gutting, etc).   If you want to run modified, just change something externally and it is no longer production. 
Get a rule book as soon as they are available
If running Bub, the rules are online.
Welcome and good luck.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »
Are they 2 stroke or 4? Just curious, got nothing to do with your question.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 11:58:51 PM »
Kriedlers are two-strokes.  They cann be made to go very fast.  VanVeen made (or perhaps still makes) some incredibly fast 50cc machines.  I spotted this in a mag a while back.  Illegal for SCTA but legal over there.  50cc = 140mph. 
By weslake
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline PMS

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 01:54:59 AM »
Welcome.....the first thing we all need to know
SCTA/BNI or BUB event?????

Thanks for welcome..
At the 2 h call with pork pie I don`t know yet wich one?
SCTA...ich write some mails with Ellen....
BUB...I see the rules and records...
BNI...I know only the word.

Ok..for us it is the best to had a run after September...
We want to change some parts of the MoFa...tune the motor..we want to drive fast.
So I think M-AG or M-AF...
We thinking about...without partial stremlining or with.
We also had a option of class A or APS.
But we had a dream..so we want to made the first "bike" (MoFa) very fast...but the look must be orig.
I like streamlining/streamliner...they are very fast...but looks like a rocket..not a bike.

What do you think wich class we can drive with the first bike I post?Without some heavy parts..tuning...other seat..handlebar..

A other question..wich class was this bike:

It`s the same motor as in the MoFa..without padels...and a frame from a HONDA RS125.

Hope you can help us to find the right class...is not easy to find this for us..many rules...etc.

We like Kreidler since I was 15 years old..it was my first " bike"..take many trips with this small bike...but always not legal (who can drive only 15mp/h?? :?).
Kreidler motors are very god for this time..I think the best on..made records on the saltflate..fastest 50cc streamliner..many records on the tracks.

We know,that today there are better motors,with watercoold...6.gears...but we had a dream!!
In Germany they are not realy many MoFas on the road,only some scooters with a speed of 15mp/h,but ths is not a Mofa in our eyes..the bike must have pedals,then it`s a MoFa!

Thanks for your post.

cu
tom

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 02:06:25 AM by PMS »

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:06:13 AM »
I forgot to say welome.  The 50cc producion record is 75mph so the moped would be out if its depth for a record attempt.  The M and A records are in the mid to high 80s.  The Kriedler RS would be a much better bet.  Especially if you could locate an air cooled VanVeen barrel and a decent carb and pipe.  You could run in modified and have a chance at a record.  Many years ago I used to race a Kriedler and it was a lot of fun and a fast little bike.  Good luck.

Offline PMS

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 06:39:28 AM »
I forgot to say welome.  The 50cc producion record is 75mph so the moped would be out if its depth for a record attempt.  The M and A records are in the mid to high 80s.  The Kriedler RS would be a much better bet.  Especially if you could locate an air cooled VanVeen barrel and a decent carb and pipe.  You could run in modified and have a chance at a record.  Many years ago I used to race a Kriedler and it was a lot of fun and a fast little bike.  Good luck.

Thanks for welcome.
nice pic...is that you on the KREIDLER?

We know about Van Veen bikes..very fast at the track...
One time in the year (beginning of September) we drive with the HONDA/KREIDLER a 8 hours long distance race.
We must use the motor from the MoFa...only without pedals..must use the orig. cyl. and head..carb and pipe are free...but only 3 gears like the orig.!
You know about the rpm of 50cc...and only 3.gears...max.rpm at 15-16.000...1.gera very long to start.

tom

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 09:53:38 AM »
Hi Tom,

as you see....it works....

By the way....Ellen is USFRA.....and, sorry, I forgot to tell you - the BNI is  the organizer of the Speedweek in August and World Final in October - they manage this two meets, together with the SCTA.

Also, the P class said "Any modifications must be out of view (motor internals...." in other words, so as I said you on the phone...inside it could be modified.....means hot pistons....and more.

I'm sure one of our bike inspector on the landracing can tell Tom where the limit is for the internal modification......

So, hello Inspector.....please gave Tom the support in this way....I got the rule book here....and Tom lives only 20 miles away from my place....when he knows which class he can go, we will go through the rule book and than he can decide what he will run at the white dyno.....

.....to this what I heard from Tom.....I can say he is in speed....so as we......and every support is appreciate.....

See ya
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 10:24:15 AM »
Tom, your description of the orange bike, Honda chassis, MoFa motor makes it an APS bike.  M and MPS bikes must have matching motors and frames.  If you come in September you can run at Bub and World of Speed (Ellen) and run both sets of records, WOS runs against BNI records, Bub runs FIM and AMA records.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

bak189

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »
Here comes a shamless plug.............................
Bakker Framebouw in the Netherlands builds
replica Kreidler roadrace frames............in fact a couple of years ago they made a complete Kreidler
engine replica using CNC.........Europe loves the "little" bikes......................................................

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 04:25:35 PM »
Hey Bob,  I've been a sucker for Kriedlers for years now.  Any photos of the frame you make or the Kriedler you built?  This was mine from around 1978. 
By weslake at 2007-10-30
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 04:29:54 PM by Nortonist 592 »

bak189

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 09:36:37 PM »
I am presently at our other home in Arizona
(Wrighwood CA. to cold right now for this old man)  I will check with Nico for a picture of the frame and/or complete bike (Kreidler).............
At the end of March I will be off to Germany for a trade-show........may get the pictures then.........
Next to sidecars, I just "love" the little bikes.....
got a 125c.c. Rotax  powered machine for sale....
in fact 2 of them!!!!!!!!!!!!.............................................

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 12:37:48 AM »
Hey Bob,  I've been a sucker for Kriedlers for years now.  Any photos of the frame you make or the Kriedler you built?  This was mine from around 1978. 
By weslake at 2007-10-30

Great picture, I love it,

Sum

Offline PMS

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 02:51:08 AM »
Tom, your description of the orange bike, Honda chassis, MoFa motor makes it an APS bike.  M and MPS bikes must have matching motors and frames.  If you come in September you can run at Bub and World of Speed (Ellen) and run both sets of records, WOS runs against BNI records, Bub runs FIM and AMA records.

Thanks Pork for helping hand... 8-)
Uff..so many...USFAR..BNI..SCTA...so only what I can say now ist that we want to start earliest in October or May.

About clases:
APS was very interresting,because of the partial stremlining=speed...we had also a full cover panel in front fot the HONDA RS 125 frame...then it look likes very fast! :-D

but..MPS..we can run with the first "bike"?..with the modif. orig.motor?

Class P....also..our motor was looklike the motor as the MoFa...thats the rules at the Mofa 8h race..all must be the same as the motor from the Mofa had...but we use a reso-pipe..a bigger carb..and now we use a rotary slide intake insted inteke over the cyl....are we in class P with this motor?
We are able to change the cyl. and carb-intake..no problem...but using a reso-pipe must have...

so..hope you have a little patience with me an my DREAM.

cu
Tom
ps:Now we are on the way to a short trip to SUEDTIROL(Itay)..MERAN...hope there is a nice wheater.... 8-)