Author Topic: Push Bar, New Chute Attach Points and Fuel Tank...........  (Read 25366 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Push Bar, New Chute Attach Points and Fuel Tank...........
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »
Sum, unfortunately I am self-restricted to "near beer" nowadays,......... the great part of a site like this is allowing two "experts" like you and me ....

Everyone please take that with a grain of salt 8-).  Unfortunately some of the really great experts don't post on here  :cry: , but then again Bob and some others do  :-D.

By the way, just a reminder to you newbies and oldbies, this site costs money to run, so feel free to send Money to the Landracing administrator, Jon Amo.  I try to send a check about three times a year, and feel the site is worth a buck a day to me.  Anything you learn on this site should be worth something to you also, even if you don't post.................Bob

That is one thing I do agree with you 100% on.  It is a shame that with the number of members this site has (go look at the members pages) that there is not better support for it.  I realize that a lot of those people don't post, but if they are just reading it for the entertainment aspect at least a small donation once a year would be considered as appropriate at the least,

Sum

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 07:03:28 PM »
Now Sum, I can't agree with that entertainment statement.  Only pure facts come out when I speak, and I only fart essence of rose blossoms.  Hey, every body needs to be a expert at something, my expertise happens to be bullshit.................... :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 07:38:08 PM »
Hey Bob D, if bull shit was money you would be the riches man in Washington state :evil:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 09:35:58 PM »
........  Hey, every body needs to be a expert at something, my expertise happens to be bullshit.................... :-D

Probably why I listed you with the true experts that do post here  :-P,

Sum

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 11:08:09 PM »
Everyone Thanks!
First, this is the most "chat" I have ever done in a forum of this type.  Didn't want to start a war, but I appreciate the point of view that each of you have.  When building a new car for a new type of racing, I want the best information out there from guys that have "been there and done that" and each of you fit the bill perfectly.

Secondly, I will try and restrict the length of my chute anchor point to as close to the body as possible.  My main tube that everything attaches to is a 1 1/2" tubing with .120 wall.....should I go thicker?  It attaches to what was my trailer hitch made out of 1 1/2" 1/4" wall square tubing (about 8" long), welded to my rear crossmember with heavy wall 1" square tubing supports going out approximately 6" on each side.  I have 1 1/2" X .120" wall square tubing coming out of the hitch recepticle and it drops down 90 degrees and wraps around the 1 1/2" X .120" wall round tubing that exits aproximately 1/2" below the bottom of the rear of the body, in the center.  My chute anchor point is approximately 5" from the rear of my body and goes up 4" from the centerline of the main tubing, made like a 4 sided pyramid with 3/16" plate on all 4 sides,that come to a point, with piece of .120" thick tubing at the end with brass bushings that the 3/4" clevis mount goes through.   I believe that it is plenty strong, and gives a good straight shot over the horizontal wheel in the back, so shouldn't get caught up in anything.  With regard on whether to mount the anchor on top or on the bottom of the main tube it looks like the best point is on the top, so it doesn't get caught under the axle....better to wrap it around the cage.   I guess I will have to get some spin practice....on the salt to see how it feels.  I am always concerned about a tire catching and the car going over, but with new tires (Mickey Thompson 30X18 on the rear and 4 Ply Funny Car M & H's on the front) on steel rims, I think that tire problems should be remote.  I appreciate the wisdom of each of you and your willingness to help this newby!

Thirdly, I will have Bob Stroud take my information and make a judgement on the length of the tether and the chute size.  I am going to be running D/SR to begin with, but I am building my car to run AA down the road.  This year is a learning year for me and I want to get in as many runs as possible pending any engine/chassis problems and/or changes. 

This is a great forum and learning experience.  I look forward to meeting each of you this year.  Can you give me Jon Amo's address?  Thank You.
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 11:46:15 PM »
Secondly, I will try and restrict the length of my chute anchor point to as close to the body as possible.  My main tube that everything attaches to is a 1 1/2" tubing with .120 wall.....should I go thicker?  It attaches to what was my trailer hitch made out of 1 1/2" 1/4" wall square tubing (about 8" long), welded to my rear crossmember with heavy wall 1" square tubing supports going out approximately 6" on each side.  I have 1 1/2" X .120" wall square tubing coming out of the hitch recepticle and it drops down 90 degrees and wraps around the 1 1/2" X .120" wall round tubing that exits aproximately 1/2" below the bottom of the rear of the body, in the center.  My chute anchor point is approximately 5" from the rear of my body and goes up 4" from the centerline of the main tubing, made like a 4 sided pyramid with 3/16" plate on all 4 sides,that come to a point, with piece of .120" thick tubing at the end with brass bushings that the 3/4" clevis mount goes through.   I believe that it is plenty strong, and gives a good straight shot over the horizontal wheel in the back, so shouldn't get caught up in anything.  With regard on whether to mount the anchor on top or on the bottom of the main tube it looks like the best point is on the top, so it doesn't get caught under the axle....better to wrap it around the cage.  ................................

.................... Can you give me Jon Amo's address?  Thank You.

Wow, sorry, but I can't visualize all of that  :cry:,  Do you have a picture?  It would be worth at least 255 words in this case  8-) .

Contact Jon Amo at webmaster@landracing.

c ya,

Sum

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2008, 08:41:18 AM »
Sum,
I will get a pic when I modify what I have and get it back together.  Keep you posted.

Thanks!
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber