Author Topic: Push Bar, New Chute Attach Points and Fuel Tank...........  (Read 25364 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Push Bar, New Chute Attach Points and Fuel Tank...........
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »
Well a few more things are out of the way almost...............

.............. I got the push bar mostly done ( http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-100.html

.............. and .........................

........... since I moved the chute tubes back I moved the attach point for the chute lines further back into the rear door area (  http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-101.html )

............... and ........................ 

............... pretty much finished the fuel tank except for the filler, return line, vent/tip over valve and pump/filter mount (  http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-102.html ) which I'll work on today.

I'm getting stuff done, but August is coming fast,

Sum     

Offline GH

Re: Push Bar, New Chute Attach Points and Fuel Tank...........
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:03:48 PM »
Sumner, what is that yellow thingie with wheels on it sitting in the background?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 12:13:17 PM »
Sumner, what is that yellow thingie with wheels on it sitting in the background?
I can tell you if he is a little shy.
It is a hemorrhoid pusher.

Note: Fill the pusher tube with expanding foam after the surface finish is appied to keep the crud out, and increase the clearance between the push roller and the steel tube to let the crud out.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:00:36 PM »

That's the "Admiration Station". 

Beautiful work, Sum!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline rustyT

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:57:38 PM »
The yelllow thing is for his fat friends to set there fat arse in to weld when they come to visit. :-D
Sum,are you coming over tomorow? its snowing a little,but doesnt look like its gonna do anything big.
Later,Phil.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:33:06 AM »
The yelllow thing is for his fat friends to set there fat arse in to weld when they come to visit. :-D
Sum,are you coming over tomorow? its snowing a little,but doesnt look like its gonna do anything big.
Later,Phil.

I should be over.  The yellow thing is required when you get past 60 and I have another one out there (red) that isn't in the picture that is just as vital  :-).

c ya tomorrow,

Sum

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:49:10 AM »
Later,Phil.

:-o I'm kind of "toey" about welding sitting down , squatting is fine but when you're sitting there can be issues with hot slag .....and the bag....... :-o :oops: :cry:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline stratman59

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 07:05:32 AM »
 good work Sum. looks like everything is coming together.
are you going to make it to Maxton in april.
keep up the good work
later
robbie

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 10:45:38 PM »
Mr. Sumner (hope I spelled it right).....Nice work, I just finished my "all in one" push bar, chute tie down along with my chute pack mount that I can move all over the back of my car to check which is the best spot....will send pics when I can figure out how to do it.  I've got a 27 Highboy (Boss 302), and Bob Stroud said I needed a chute launcher, but I don't see any other 27's with a launcher, plus I don't have any room in the trunk with 4 Group 31 batteries (Optima), my cage supports and fuel cell to hold the can.  So being the country boy that I am, figured that I would do some highway tests to see where it works the best.....will let you know as the weather gets warmer to conduct my tests.  Just want you to also know that you are a great inspiration....I just turned 64, built my own experimental airplane (sold it in 2006), but my first love is hot rods, and in a couple weeks, I'm going to do some sky diving, just to show those young pups whose Boss!  You're workmanship looks great!  Keep Up The Good Work!
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 11:58:21 PM »
Mr. Sumner (hope I spelled it right).....Nice work, I just finished my "all in one" push bar, chute tie down along with my chute pack mount that I can move all over the back of my car to check which is the best spot....will send pics when I can figure out how to do it.  I've got a 27 Highboy (Boss 302), and Bob Stroud said I needed a chute launcher, but I don't see any other 27's with a launcher, plus I don't have any room in the trunk with 4 Group 31 batteries (Optima), my cage supports and fuel cell to hold the can.  So being the country boy that I am, figured that I would do some highway tests to see where it works the best.....will let you know as the weather gets warmer to conduct my tests.  Just want you to also know that you are a great inspiration....I just turned 64, built my own experimental airplane (sold it in 2006), but my first love is hot rods, and in a couple weeks, I'm going to do some sky diving, just to show those young pups whose Boss!  You're workmanship looks great!  Keep Up The Good Work!

It's just Sum or Sumner, my first name  :-).  You need to get someone to follow you when you do your chute tests and video that  :lol: and then post it  :-o.  I would love to see that.  I almost went sky diving 40 years ago, but chickened out and don't see it in my future now.  You do that and maybe you will be an inspiration to me.  I love to fly, but think I'll stick to having wings under me or a parasail above me.

Take lots of pictures of your build and post them,

Sum

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 09:52:26 PM »
Hey Sum,

nice work on the fuel tank and coolers.

We made a mistake to fill ours with fuel before fully testing its integrity which meant we couldn't reweld dodgy bits. It looked fine by eye, and held water OK, but when with fuel it sprouted leaks in a few places. As you know with aluminium, the slightest bit of dust and it compromises the weld.

So, if you haven't already, please check the tank with air under water under pressure or the like so you can remedy the situation prior to filling.

Keep up th good work and hope you are well.

rH+

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 09:58:32 PM »
Hey Sum,

nice work on the fuel tank and coolers.

We made a mistake to fill ours with fuel before fully testing its integrity which meant we couldn't reweld dodgy bits. It looked fine by eye, and held water OK, but when with fuel it sprouted leaks in a few places. As you know with aluminium, the slightest bit of dust and it compromises the weld.

So, if you haven't already, please check the tank with air under water under pressure or the like so you can remedy the situation prior to filling.

Keep up th good work and hope you are well.

rH+

Will do and see you in less than 12 months (still no chance of you getting over here before then???),

Sum

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »
Believe me I'd love to Sum and take you up on your offer of a tour.

I am finishing this job at the end of July which will mean the possibility of some time off (I need it after a year of 50 hour weeks) but simply not cashed up enough having bought a farm.

I think we'll definitely save to come when the tank is sorted and bring that with us.

Rev.H+

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 11:41:34 PM »
Believe me I'd love to Sum and take you up on your offer of a tour.

I am finishing this job at the end of July which will mean the possibility of some time off (I need it after a year of 50 hour weeks) but simply not cashed up enough having bought a farm.

I think we'll definitely save to come when the tank is sorted and bring that with us.

Rev.H+

It has taken me almost 65 years to get to the point where I can make a trip over there, so I understand, but if the chance comes up you have a place to stay and a tour. 

c ya,

Sum

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 12:02:20 AM »
Sure. And of course you can stay at the farm. It is just north of the Twelve Apostles on the Great Ocean Road (one of the world's great must drives).

We were there this weekend and had 8 big kangaroos and a wallaby loafing around. Mind you there was also a truckload of snakes and spiders too but I reckon you can deal with that given you probably have dealt with the odd rattler or two.

Does this mean its a definite that you are coming next year?

rH+