Author Topic: BB Bonneville Bugeye  (Read 146834 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: BB Bonneville Bugeye
« Reply #285 on: August 19, 2010, 08:36:05 AM »
After setting the record it looks like they made two down runs on Tuesday the 17th.  One on short course and one on long course.  Can't tell from the results which run was made first. 

Down run on long course shows them a bit slower.  No other info . . . .

Number Engine Body   Entry Name          Quarter   Mile1      Mile2        Mile3        Exit                Comment
3201     G      GMS     Bonneville Bugeye 143.462   145.833 150.984    154.323     151.260           no chute sticker

Down run on short course . . .

Number Engine Body     Entry Name           Quarter        Mile1      Mile2           Comment
3201     G        GMS     Bonneville Bugeye   176.903       0.000      0.000
Just  quick note. Sorry for little contact. We had no wifi all week.  I did the driving, Udo loaded me in and did the push off duties. The above quarter speed of 176.903 was on the short course and qualified us for the long course. Best run of the week. We had been chasing engine gremlins at the start, got it together for 3 decent runs, first 2 set the record and then pushed harder to get the better time iin the 1/4 to qualify for the long course.  We had high hopes but something was off from the start, thus the slow long course time. Long story short embarrasing long course time with something wrong.  Oil temp spiked and on pulling the filter found some metal shavings and clear specks of bearing material so hurt the motor somewhere and we are on way home. Will get some photos up when get back. Thanks for allt he support.
JACK
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline mkilger

« Reply #286 on: August 19, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »
man what a neat story all around. I have been reading the build up since the start and to see you made it to the salt this year was just the iceing on the cake.   Glad tech went well and it looked like you guys did what you wanted to do with a new car you guys did well.  have safe trip home best of luck.

Offline hotschue

« Reply #287 on: August 20, 2010, 10:19:36 PM »
Hello All!  Thank you for your interest......It's Friday night just walked in the door from B'ville 2300 miles since Weds......very excited with the results....will post some pics in the up coming days to update.....even with BB trip to the salt the "build" is not over...still body to be finished and a "new" list of to do's..... Udo
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #288 on: August 21, 2010, 09:21:03 AM »
Welcome home - VERY impressive outing, and congratulations.

And the saga will continue - excellent. 

Do tell, do tell! :lol:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #289 on: August 21, 2010, 01:14:42 PM »
Udo, Jack and Team, Glad you made it back safe and sound.

You have much to be proud of !!!!  Now you have to tear down, clean up, do some body work and then spray on that nice Satin Black, Red and White Paint !!!!   :cheers: :cheers:  I will be glad to lend some brain time on the paint scheme  :cheers:

See ya soon,  you should bring the BB to Maton ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline hotschue

« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »
Sorry, couldn't keep up with build photo's at the end, camera batteries quit, had to keep working on the car.  Finally finished leaving for SW a day late.  36 hours driving time with a few short stops in between we arrived in Wendover Friday nite after midnight.....Car passed tech with no issues, definitely a tense moment with inspectors looking at every detail.  Even after arrival the work never ended, had some minor tuning issues, fabricated a plenum extension thought that would help (hammer/ tailgate break and racers tape).  Even though we still have to sort out the gearing and other minor issues we mananged to qualify for the record.  The morning of the backup run was the first moment of quiet time I've had in over a month.  Took the time to take a few photo's, B'ville is awesum when the sun rises!!!!  We backed up our qualifying and reset the record by 15+ mph to 178.835 that's what this was all about.....Returning home a few pics of what was accomplished prior to SW, as you can see the salt was very hard on the car.....Now that I've taken a week to unwind I will disassemble BB down to the last rivet, repaint, rebuild and make "like new" and next year we will have the body and paint work completed.  Thanks to all the people who stopped by to say hello who had been following the build since the beginning. 
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #291 on: August 31, 2010, 03:35:35 PM »
Udo, you did good, I am really impressed with the build, feels like I was there helping everyday last year. Congrats on the great build and the record first time out. You for sure have salt fever and a forever memory. You have the time to do the changes for next year without the pressure and deadline like this year. Congrats again.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2010, 03:59:09 PM »
Congrats Udo, it's been a real pleasure following your build  :cheers:
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2010, 11:31:37 AM »
Big time congrats!!! First time at Bonneville and you have a new record! Great job!! Just show you what a well designed , engineered and fabricated car can do. I saw you car several time and made a note to try to get by your pits but never made it, my loss.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2010, 11:42:57 AM »
I wasn't lucky enough to see BB run, but, Bless Udo's heart!! he stopped at Land's End on the way out and let me see upclose what I've been seeing long distance on his build diary!!  Gotta just Love the racers who do that for me!!!!  Anyway, that Bonneville Bugeye will be absolutely gorgeous when painted...(watch out for Charles and his black/red/white   :roll:  ) 

Thank you for sharing!!  and again,  Congratulations on the records!!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »
Big time congrats!!! First time at Bonneville and you have a new record! Great job!! Just show you what a well designed , engineered and fabricated car can do. I saw you car several time and made a note to try to get by your pits but never made it, my loss.

Rex

Ha, hardly first time. Don't you see the red hat (on the Lister- not a bonneville car though) in his signature.  However, on his first time he was off the trailer ovder the record and in the 2 club ( as soon as licensing passes were under belt). Knows what is about. Now we just have to get the bugs out of the engine- :? :cry: systems ( my problem)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline hotschue

« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2010, 10:08:34 AM »
Three weeks ago I was still building the car, now, i'm in reverse mode.  The Salt was hard on the car especially the bare metal... I tried to cover with a shaker can paint....paint was no match for the salt. Yesterday spent day taking the car apart, which seems like a tedious job, but needs to get done.  Should have it complete by next weekend.  Some of the detail I didn't post prior to leaving for SW, a Polaris Snow Mobile swaybar, totally enclosed driveshaft cover........ Garage is full again.....need more room!
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2010, 06:20:07 PM »
Yes a very interesting car, it will be a good looking car when all painted up.

Here is a quick shot of the car at speed near the 2 mile post.

Larry

Offline hotschue

« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2010, 06:37:16 PM »
 Larry, Thank you for your post!
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2010, 07:26:50 PM »
Yes a very interesting car, it will be a good looking car when all painted up.

Here is a quick shot of the car at speed near the 2 mile post.

Larry

Yes and Udo I think a cool scallop design on that awesome headrest fairing would just finish the paint job nicely.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com