Author Topic: BB Bonneville Bugeye  (Read 147316 times)

Offline hotschue

Re: BB Bonneville Bugeye
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2009, 02:19:21 PM »
Sunday morning, got a few more things done.  Final mount of cowl, installed dzus fasteners....made template for door skin....alum body forward next.  BB has a much lower profile when you stand next to it. Will be on wheels before you know it!!
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline hotschue

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2009, 05:11:34 PM »
Started building doors and dzus mounting tabs today. Will finish cowl back this week then onto front end.  Moser promised rear before end of year BB maybe down and rolling.  Lot of small side jobs going on, need to build a set of front wheels, "Ballistic Fabrication" Tucson Az. supplied lazer cut centers, ebay supplied 2 VW wheels just need to put some time into them. Working on rear spoiler design with a little help should have that under control.  A2 still a possibility by end of Jan.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline stratman59

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »
Nice progress.  This going to be a killer car.

Robbie

Offline hotschue

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2009, 07:16:26 PM »
Hello All!!!!! Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year.....Final progress for 2009.....We finished today working on the body, rear spoiler templet and tonnue cover....also now have narrowed rear in hand ready to bolt in.  We will start 2010 with completion of the body from the cowl back and getting BB on wheels.  Jan. should be an exciting month....will keep you posted. Some pics from earlier today.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2009, 10:41:06 PM »
Early in the build you mentioned there would be less than 12" bar outside the lines. I am not sure but it looks like there is more than 12. If this is so, I am wondering what your motivation was for changing this design point. 

Just wondering.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2009, 11:24:54 PM »
HS,  let me know if/when you come down to A2.....

I can show you around if you have time.  Grab some lunch or dinner ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline hotschue

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2009, 06:27:53 AM »
Thanks Charles, will definitely keep you in mind.  JH, taller bar for taller (2nd) driver....
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2009, 07:55:13 AM »
Early in the build you mentioned there would be less than 12" bar outside the lines. I am not sure but it looks like there is more than 12. If this is so, I am wondering what your motivation was for changing this design point. 

Just wondering.

~JH
If you look at the photos at top of this page with HS standing next to car, 2nd driver in seat. There is no padding on seat and it is not firm in position. No helmet. With helmet there is the 3'" and maybe a bit more of required clearance to the cage which does not yet have the required SFI padding.  I think will be just right.  HS is a bit shorter so will have some extra.  Yes in this case, less is more but I've driven a 270mph streamliner with about 1" clearance over my head to the cage and was not totally happy camper. Now of course not legal but I'd rather have the extra room and give up the aero. :-)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »
Quote from: Jonny Hotnuts on December 30, 2009, 10:41:06 PM

Just wondering.

~JH
If you look at the photos at top of this page with HS standing next to car, 2nd driver in seat. There is no padding on seat and it is not firm in position. No helmet. With helmet there is the 3'" and maybe a bit more of required clearance to the cage which does not yet have the required SFI padding.  I think will be just right.  HS is a bit shorter so will have some extra.  Yes in this case, less is more but I've driven a 270mph streamliner with about 1" clearance over my head to the cage and was not totally happy camper. Now of course not legal but I'd rather have the extra room and give up the aero

I am not happy with our current cars arrangement regarding head clearance to bar-roof. One of this years projects (about to start) is to move the forward firewall (mid engine so theres not much to move forward) forward 10+" and build a seat with higher degree lay back to facilitate more head room and easier evacuation egress. This was something I should of done from the get go.

~JH

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »
What is the wheel base of this Sprite?
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2009, 02:58:55 PM »
Posted by: doug odom 
Insert Quote
What is the wheel base of this Sprite?

Doug, I read this on page one:
Wheelbase is 129 inches.  The shoulder hoop is 4 inches below the body shell.  Less than 12" of roll bar will be outside the body lines.  Sitting in the car the line of sight will be the top of the cowl.  Body height is 25 inches + 4 inches ground clearance.

*Andres Segovia

Offline hotschue

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2010, 11:04:28 AM »
New Year, time to get back to work.....Sunday morning decided to put time into rear spoiler.  Photo shows basic design we have in mind.  Plan is to test BB at A2 without spoiler, then rivet mockup on as shown.  We will have some quick mods we can install to change configuration.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:00:43 PM by hotschue »
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2010, 02:09:23 PM »
You folks probably knew I'd respond to the challenge of "only" 28" of snow in December.  We've had that much since Christmas.

Here's Nancy standing by the front doorway.

Better photo.  Note how deep is the snow just outside the door.  Not just what's p9iled against the door, but the tummy-high pile a foot or so farther out.  Don't worry about a path of egress in case of emergency -- we've got a useable back door and also the basement entrance.

And here's the back yard showing the wood boiler (well insulated, note) and the stairs leading down from the front deck.  There's a good part of all this weather, though -- no mosquitoes!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:10:57 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
Your doing a fine job of stopping the snow befor it gets here to the East. Keep up the good work.

Offline Rob

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2010, 12:14:30 AM »
Beautiful snow pic HS. As someone who despite travelling the globe, has never seen snow, I would like just once to spend a white christmas .

Slim, you're going over the top, are those stairs solid snow?? and is the weight an issue?

Sorry to be off topic, still watching and enjoying the Bugeye.

Cheers,
Rob