Author Topic: Attaching your spindles......Need help.  (Read 21021 times)

Offline sheribuchta

Re: Attaching your spindles......Need help.
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 08:51:21 PM »
Here are the pics.
Willie Buchta

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 08:52:09 PM »
Cars that have (and currently except the NT2) run the same tire at speed much faster than I will be going.

What lakester is the bottom one?  Quite a different front end!

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 08:54:28 PM »
a couple of more pics
willie buchta

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 09:25:54 PM »
The lakester on the bottom belongs to Rick Byrnes.  He is a regular on the board and maybe he will chime in on the subject.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008, 09:58:53 PM »
WILLIE my boy the stud size in the rule booki refers to the MOUNTING studs like 5 on 5 etc, the bolts you see hold the wheels together like the rivets on Centerlines.

Don't confuse the guy.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 10:27:18 PM »
not trying to confuse anyone just trying to touch all of the bases --all of the rims that i have have a center hub that hold the bearings and seals on the hub is a flange thar the rest of the rim bolts to ( lug nuts) so they are not a true spindle mount wheel no more then your pickup truck--i do have one set of rims that are true spindle mount wheels  no hub the wheels are machined so that the bearings press into the wheel  no hub  --i just use them for sidecars (they are spitzer race car wheels) if someone needed them for a car i would be willing to trade for a set with a hub it makes no differance in the motorcycle classes  im not sure it does in the car classes as im not that familer with the car classes   just some thoughts   if you look at the pics of jonnys wheels you will see that they both have hubs  willie buchta
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 10:31:12 PM by sheribuchta »

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 06:13:34 PM »
I've tried posting these 3 times and am still having problems.
Sometimes I hate computers.

JH
here are some photos.
I will write another note to explain.

Rick
Rick

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 06:22:32 PM »
These are old Mark Williams aluminum axles. (DONT USE)
They show one assembly method but the photos don't reflect caster angle which would be built into the locating brackets.  (4 link)

The tires have been discussed before, but once again, they were designed for 1000 pound load at 300 MPH.  Initially they were made for Don Garlits, but used by lots of rear engine dragsters from the mid 70's to present. 

I think for your little light weight Fiat with modified sports length wheelbase you will have no problem.  BUT, In my opinion there is way too much rubber, and they need to be shaved and buffed.  I have had Vilven tires in the Chicago area do some normal tires, but they cant do the little ones.  Since I'm going away from them on my liner (Yep, no more lakester) it isn't a problem for me.

My entire set up may be available if someone is interested.  Or not.

Good Luck

Rick

Rick

LittleLiner

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 08:03:52 PM »

I know of a number of people using them currently. When did they become illegal?

They are legal on special construction cars (as you know that means Streamliners and Lakesters).  I loaned out my rule book so can't check for sure . .  but  . . . memory tells me that the Modified Category (which includes Modified Sports) has a minimum wheel size.  ( and for sure it ain't 5 inches. )

I could be wrong and hopefully someone will chime in with paragraph and verse . . .

I have a pair of the Aero wheels in the basement for my 'next' project.  Hence the moniker 'little liner',   . . . but I can't and won't be running them on my gas coupe.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2008, 08:56:50 PM »
the mininum wheel dia. for all vintage category vehicles with the exception of  VOT is 14 inch  willie buchta

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »
Key word here is WHEEL- not to be confused with TIRE - diameter!!

Ironically the footprint and FRONTAL area of the 5" rim top fuel tire and wheel isn't much better than the original 2.25/17 top fuel tire/rim assembly that, at least with Goodyear, has gone thru an evolution or two since.

That  17" size is also made for drag racing by Hoosier, MT and Phoenix.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »
the mininum wheel dia. for all vintage category vehicles with the exception of  VOT is 14 inch  willie buchta

He isn't vintage Willie,

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2008, 10:59:06 AM »
SUM:

I think WB was replying to Littleliners statement:
They are legal on special construction cars (as you know that means Streamliners and Lakesters).  I loaned out my rule book so can't check for sure . .  but  . . . memory tells me that the Modified Category (which includes Modified Sports) has a minimum wheel size.  ( and for sure it ain't 5 inches. )
WB was saying the minimum was for Vintage -VOT.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »
jonny e mail me your address and i will send you a good book that will answer all of your questions  willie buchta