Author Topic: Leather Race Suit Recommendations?  (Read 6468 times)

Offline hombre

Leather Race Suit Recommendations?
« on: February 13, 2008, 12:37:06 PM »
Newbie here... I'd like to run at Maxton to work on top speed of my modified Triumph Rocket 3. I've got 20 year old leathers that need replacing. Any recommendations on a good leather race suit (with hump)?

Yes, I've joined the ECTA... and am awaiting rules update.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:40:48 PM by hombre »

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Leather Race Suit Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 01:06:53 PM »
Let's start with a couple questions to get you in the right direction.

Do you think you'd ever like to run at Bonneville? If so and you need to buy anyway I'd recommend getting a set that meets their specs.

Budget. You don't have to tell us your dollar amount but it can make a difference if you should be looking for used, retail or special order.

If you think you'll be running over 175 then the extra armor needs included. Personally I think the armor is a good choice regardless of speed.

One piece, two piece?

Give us an idea of your initial thoughts, in addition to the hump, and we'll collectively give you some choices. BTW, I'd recommend a removable hump as I believe SCTA considers that streamlining and forces you into the PS class. If you can't remove it, you can't run unfaired. You do want to keep that option open even if you never use it.

Welcome aboard!
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline hombre

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 01:21:06 PM »
Thanks, Deb! I talked with Todd... he sent me here for recommendations. He did say I need a 200 MPH suit.

I don't mind being bumped a class, as I've already got streamlining (fairing) and a power adder (supercharger). I'm not out to set any class records... just would like to have the fastest R3.  :-D

I also doubt that I'll ever aspire to run in the salt... too far away. I do want a new one piece suit, with the extra armor. My budget is up to the $1500-1600 range... I value safety.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 02:54:22 PM »
Hombre.. good talking to you. You're asking the right questions and are in the right place here, don't forgtet to look back at all the prior(possibly relative) threads and conversations using the searrch feature(also consider joining the ECTA Yahoo Group and searching the archives there as well - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ECTALSR ).

For $1500-$1600 you should be able to have a decent suit made for you and possibly even purchase some additional protective gear(IE: chest/spine protector, etc).  People(like Slim and many others) that have had suits made may chime in with their thoughts on those things Deb mentioned, but you may be more effective and time-wise using the search feature here and looking thru what's already been discussed.

Throw your sizes out here as well, you never know what someone has "Porked Out Of" since the Bull Rule?
Todd

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »
Well you can for sure get a new suit for that price. Leaving Bonneville out of the equation for now puts you easily into retail and will keep you a bit cooler at Maxton. (I do beleive we are keeping the leather rule the same as the 2007 rules but I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!) There's a few good brands that have one piece suits with the hump. The tricky part is getting the correct size.

Drag Specialties caries a bunch of different suits which can be ordered through any Drag Specialties dealer:
http://street.parts-unlimited.com/41

Tucker Rocky is the same deal:
http://www.powersportrider.com/CGI-BIN/ZCATJPG?catpub=AP0208C&catpage=241.00

While you're in there you can find the individual manufactures and view their site directly like Alpinestars. I personally have a lot of Alpinestars gear & am very happy with them. The woman's sizing leaves a little to be desired but the end product is good.
Alpinestars: http://www.alpinestars.com/pl/c/131.html
(BTW, when we were at the MC show in DC Alpinestars was clearing out last years model of one piece suit with a hump. Brand new suits for about $700. Right there to try & buy. I would have snagged one if I needed a suit & had money!)

If you can do a little web surfing and find some options you can go out shopping for the best deal. Ebay often has people offing closeouts. Call your local sportbike stores to see if they carry the gear & have any in stock. I like to go to a dealer that carries the brand I'm interested in & try some gear on to see how accurate the sizing is. Having to return an internet/mail order suit to exchange size gets a little expensive. (BTW, when I do this I make sure to let them know I'm browsing & not buying on that visit so I don't waste their time!) You can also see who might live near you, if they're a similar size & go try their gear on. We're completely open to that with anyone & most racers are generous enough to help out.

http://www.newenough.com is another good resource. I believe they do new gear closeouts and slightly used gear. A lot of racers use them with good success.

You can have a suit made from http://syedleathers.com/ for about that price with armor & your color choice of their design. There are other places to get a custom suit made & I'm sure others will chime in. Although I think the others run slightly more expensive.

I recently bought a new suit & what I did was to buy an off the rack Alpinestars suit (the girly one) and used an additional back protector vest which I'm now looking to upgrade to a new model of a back protector "jacket". I removed the back protector from the suit & use the better one underneath. Good gloves, good boots and a relatively inexpensive snell 2000 helmet. If I remember correctly, by shopping around & choosing wisely I was able to put together the whole thing for about $1500.

There are a lot of other opinions out there so hopefully others will chime in as well. While you're shopping around make sure to look for what armor is included & if they give the CE rating. Level 1 is good, level 2 is better. I usually assume, if they say CE but don't give the rating, that it's a level 1. I do believe the back protector vest I was using during my get off was a level 1. It served me well & I used it again when I got back on but now that they offer a level 2 I'm going to upgrade. The level 1 worked well but for as much as it was utilized, that's one piece I'd like to upgrade! BTW, the level rating in regards to the back protector is how much force it will absorb. Level one does a certain amount & I think the level 2 was around double the level 1. If you think about accidentally slamming to the ground with your upper body (common way to go) it will absorb more of the impact and dissipate it rather then transferring it to your upper body & internal organs.
Deb

PS: sorry about the minnie book, if you can't tell I'm a little passionate about personal safety gear!  :-D I was before the get off & I'm even more convinced now (living proof as they say!)
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 03:06:01 PM »
I have been in touch with Vanson recently about expanding my old suit,ahem :roll:. I saw their price list and I believe the custom suits start around $1100.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline hombre

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 04:42:40 PM »
Thanks for the great info... mini books are good. The heads-up on CE level 1 vs level 2 was particularly informative. I'm probably a 52 Euro size... depending on cut.

In general, are custom suits worth the additional cost and wait? Has anyone experience with GiMoto suits?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 04:57:24 PM »
Hombre, try www.zcustom.com.  Nancy's leathers cost about $800 when we got them -- and they used 24 measurements (that I got to take, and Todd, just shut the heck up on that subject).  The cost included three colors of leather in our choice of patterns, some die cut lettering, and perfect fit.  Mine cost about $1500 and included full armor, lots of lettering, and a removable hump.

Both sets meet the requirements for ECTA and SCTA.  Delivery time was something like a month from receipt of order.  Email Diane and ask for current details and pricing, but we're very happy.  Fit even includes a question of whether you want them "snug", "loose", or normal fit.  That'll allow for unh, mmm, shrinkage of the leather over the next few years of eating too many tacos.  In the meantime, look at their site and see the specs and details.

I'd attach a photo of Nancy and me in the suits, but I've discovered that I can't attach a photo to a post -- if I've already attached that same one in the past.  I don't know how to search for a photo, either, but if you want me to I could send you a photo of us by direct email.  Lemme know. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 05:12:10 PM »
If you have 20 year old all leather leathers that still fit, they are probably scta legal...  :-o
Not necessarily safe, but probably legal...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 06:01:22 PM »
I'd attach a photo of Nancy and me in the suits, but I've discovered that I can't attach a photo to a post -- if I've already attached that same one in the past.  I don't know how to search for a photo, either, but if you want me to I could send you a photo of us by direct email.  Lemme know. . .

Go to where the picture is on your computer and re-name it and then up-load it.................. and was that a removable hump or bump????

Sum

Offline WildBro

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 08:30:22 PM »
Hi Hombre,
Good to see you on this forum.  Darryl King has told me of you and your bike.  I can't wait to see you run it!

For leathers.... I'm a big Dainese fan.  You can find deals on ebay or try Moto Liberty in Texas.

If you feel like gabbing, give me a call.  My number is on the contact page of my web site.

Bill
(Vmax)
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline hombre

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 09:09:26 PM »
Hi Bill, thanks for your input! Darryl speaks highly of you, and I really enjoyed reading about your V-Max... quite an achievement! I've found a nice Alpinestars suit on sale, but I'll check out the Dainese too.

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations.There's many suits/companies that have been mentioned of which I was unaware.

Looking forwards to meeting everyone at Maxton.  8-)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:41:16 PM by hombre »

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 10:03:55 PM »
At 6'2",  240+ lbs I am not an "off the rack" leathers guy.  I have a drag set and SCTA legal armored set from Z Custom leathers.  Top notch stuff for anyone.  I know of several people who have "road tested" their products with excellent results.

Slim- I had mine built loose for shrinkage due to pizza.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 02:48:55 PM »
I was looking for a custom suit last year that met SCTA specs. I was interested in Vanson, but I kept hearing reports about mistakes they would make in initial construction. Everybody said they made a great suit, but they had a hard time getting it right the first time. Z-Leathers was recommended and I decided to go with them. I'm glad I did. Beautifully made suit that fit perfect. I went with light reflective colors and light armor because of the extreme temps racing in the summer and 2 piece zipped together so I could easily take the jacket off while waiting. It all came out to about $1100.

Give them a call, they are very nice, helpful people.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc