Tech Information > Technical Discussion

53 Studebaker Cd and Frontal Area

(1/2) > >>

JAS:
Hello and greatings.

It would be most appreciated if someone could provide drag coefficient and frontal area estimates for a 53 Studebaker in relative stock form and in a modest competition coupe configuration. Thanks in advance.

John.
Maryland.

Dynoroom:
John I doubt you'll get an exact answer here but you might do what others have done in the past.

Take a picture of the car from the front and draw 1 foot (or meter) squares around the car. Some folks use digital picture and add pixels. Then add them up to determine frontal.  My guess on this is ~21 sq/ft.

As for C/d that's a bit tougher. Remember the drag will be reduced as you lower the car & chop the top. The studebaker has always been a good platform. My guess would be ~.38

Good Luck!

JackD:
A way(cheap deal) I saw was a full frontal picture was taken of the vehicle and in the shot was a graphic scale.
The picture was then projected on to a sheet of drywall and cutout with a sabre saw.
Using an accurate scale , 1 square inch of the drywall material was weighed and then the picture on the drywall with the graphic scale was weighed.
With a little bit of math, there you are.
I trashed the drywall cut out,(it was a Ford EXP and nobody would race one anyway would they ?) and returned the scale, so you are on your own. :wink:

Stan Back:
JAS --

I'm assuming you're new to the site and I just want to let you know that Dynoroom pretty much knows what he's talking about.  That C/d of .38 is a well-educated guess by someone you could count on.

Stan

Sumner:

--- Quote from: Stan Back on February 13, 2008, 12:51:41 PM ---JAS --

I'm assuming you're new to the site and I just want to let you know that Dynoroom pretty much knows what he's talking about.  That C/d of .38 is a well-educated guess by someone you could count on.

Stan

--- End quote ---

I agree Stan.  I plugged Mike's numbers into one of the spreadsheets on my site and came up with a little higher HP number than I think we are making to run 243, but I think his numbers are for a stock '53 and ours is chopped and I really believe that ..............

...................as big as our scoop looks that it is really helping the Cd along with no grill openings and just a better than stock front.  If I change the numbers to .36 for the Cd and 20.0 on the area I'm then real close to what HP I think we are making.  Just changing the Cd and frontal area that small amount reduces the HP to run 243 by over 100 HP.  Just shows that it is all about aero.

c ya,

Sum

Spreadsheet:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville-spreadsheet-index.html#Drag%20Force%20--HP%20to%20run%20a%20Speed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version