Author Topic: Safety wire question  (Read 3709 times)

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
Safety wire question
« on: February 12, 2008, 07:12:23 PM »
I am prepairing a new bike for April . I am doing the safety wiring and when I got to the front fork pinch bolts.I found that it did not have any.Just a through bolt with a cotter pin. My question is .Do I leave the cotter pin or do I remove it and use wire somehow?
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Safety wire question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:15:01 PM »
Do not worry about pinch bolts or anything other then securing the axle itself(and you can wait until you're at the track for that if you like). If you can secure the axle and the axle nut(be it to each other, or each one to another point), you will be fine.

If you can refer to the bike it's on(or off of), or preferably include a picture of each side I can help be more specific to the most effective and least intrusive use of the safety wire.

That will be the only safety wire REQUIRED by the ECTA this season(front and rear axles), please feel free to do more should it ease your thoughts or peace of mind of course. Also feel free to PM me if I can be of further assistance via the phone before the meet.

The 2008 motorcycle portion of the rules will be out shortly(very likely this weekend).
Todd
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:20:09 PM by narider »

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:35:44 PM »
It is a 2008 ex 250 This is the front axle. the rear is the same set up.Thanks for your help. I waited way to long to send in for my rule book.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:39:02 PM by racer x »

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:45:14 PM »
My only other questions are Do I need are tetherd kill switch? and can I change my gearing ?and do I need a metal chain guard fo production class?Sorry for asking so much so late.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 08:55:49 AM »
Yes, you MUST have a tethered kill switch.  Buy a real one, too -- we will no longer allow a small eye screwed into the factory thumb-operated kill switch and attached to the rider by a lanyard.  Mount the kill switch, if at all possible, so a pull to the rear (vs. upward) will activate the switch.

You may change your gearing to anything you please.

While we will allow production class bikes to run with a factory chain guard (I think we still allow it -- correct me if I'm wrong, Todd) we will not disqualify you from production class if you have a non-stock chain guard.  Your non-stock guard must meet the minimums of our chain guard requirement -- amount of coverage, that is width and length, and thickness of the metal that makes up the guard. 

While not meaning to be a commercial for Guy Caputo, his firm (Tiger Racing) makes guards that will meet our specs.  He advertises on this forum -- you can get in touch with him that way, or by email (guycaputo@buckeye-express.com).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:16:58 AM »
Thank you . I will contact Guy today. I read his add in the classified section. I will get a real kill switch . I have never liked the idea of drilling the stock switch. I saw someone forget it was atached and brake there switch . Seems cheeper to do it properly.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Safety wire, sprocket change, chain guard, and tether shut off questions
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 09:26:56 AM »
Eric,
Let me clarify a little bit(and please be aware we are currently going thru a large set of rule changes in our organization at this very moment).

Yes, your cotter pin(axle & axle nut) retainers are fully accceptable.

Yes, you need a tethered shut off switch that will shut the ignition system
off(as well as shut your fuel pump off if it has one).

Yes, you can change your transmission gearing(but I'm pretty certain that isn't your question and you are more interested in changing your drive sprockets). So with that said let me be more clear on our stance on this at the moment.

The rule states you can not change any visible items and does not exclude visible sprockets or pulleys from this statement, BUT it has always been the practice of both SCTA and ECTA(which is now more closely following the SCTA rules) that the external drive ratio of the bike can be changed(IE: visible sprockets and chain or belt if needed).

So in answer to this question(again, at this time):
Yes you can change your chain sprockets(or belt pulley as the case may be), as long as it is
of the same style(IE: it is not a drilled & lightened sprocket, etc.), and it still uses the same pitch of chain or belt that the o.e.m. did.

Yes, you need a metal chain or belt guard in production class,(we have allowed OEM in the past, but we currently "by the present rule" do not).

Eric, we look forward to seeing you at the track and you can feel confident
that you will be able to run as long as you have the safety end of things
squared away.
Todd

EDIT: There will of course be some 30 day(one meet) grace periods granted to members in regards to the rules that have changed from 2007 to 2008(as well as concerning the rulings that might change throughout the season). Our goal is for you to run and have a good time, our responsibility is to try and help you do it in a safe manner while being fair to our other members(both past and present).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:37:36 AM by narider »

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 09:36:58 AM »
Thank you very much for the help. I am looking forward to seeing everyone in april. I will come to help out even if I cant run. I have a lot to do but .Everything is falling into place. Thanks again. :-D

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:30:57 AM »
A good and timely answer that not only handles the individual question, but does it in a way that is open to the entire field, and their review also.
Provision for a little wiggle room as both learn from each other, with safety, and suitable control over the competitive advanrage as a primary goal, is something that is unfortunatly an all to rare a bird that is a good example for others to follow if they will.
This is not my soap box, or that of anybody else I hope, but just level ground that everybody has the same chance with.:wink: 
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »
Jack, as either you or Scott have said before... prior students make the best teachers!

Following those that come after us is easy if we let them think they're first.
And leading those that came before us is easy if we make them think we're first.
All we have to do is watch our place in line, whether we're there or not.
I have certainly been learning from each of you I look up to over the years,
never really knowing(or caring) which of us is using the above thought pattern to their advantage

Jon, if possible can you move this and the "Leather suit reccomendations"
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3560.0.html
to the ECTA RULES QUESTIONS forum please?

Thanks x2,
Todd