Author Topic: McKee transaxel  (Read 21087 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
McKee transaxel
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:03:38 AM »
Anyone see one before? Novel idea, graft a B/W T-10 to a quickie and make your own i.r.s. Might help move some weight rear-ward in a short wheel base back motor car.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
McKee Transmission
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:32:08 AM »
I remember that transmission. Pretty inovative and certainly something that could be done again by a good machinist and some engineering. Notice how he has rolled the 4 speed over to line up the shaft centerlines and also the gear center distance on the trans he is using, looks like a GM 4 speed, must be the same as his quick change.  I think that Hildabrand did make some Indy car quick changes that were two speed. I did a concept drawing one time on making a regular quick change into a two speed, it is not that difficult. Might work good at Bonneville because it gives you a 3 speeds if you add in the push truck to around 75 mph.
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: McKee transaxel
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
Rex

You are correct, Halibrand did make a two speed for the Indy cars.  I have one in my ’66 Indy car.  I remember Jerry Eisert telling me that they even used one at Sears Point to road race with and big Al was pretty fast with it.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline gidge348

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:01:47 AM »
I have recently seen this same type of set up being built using (I think) a Winters Sprint Car diff converted to IRS here in Australia.

It has a 4 speed sequential (no reverse) with ignition cut for flat changes incorporated in the extended QC gear case.

The last I heard they were experimenting with new dogs as the original ones were getting hard to come by.

If anyone is interested let me know and I will try and track down more details on this.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:32:28 AM »
As I remember, and I played with some of those cars back in the sixties, the reason for the orientation of the transmission was so that the main shaft could go back to the quick change gears before routing the power through the transmission and into the final drive. We had one that came out of a King Cobra (Cooper powered by Ford V-8) in our Group 7 Can-Am car. I may have it backwards and it may have gone through the transmission then the quick change gears and back to the diff.
The ol' memory's beginning to fade. :-(

Pete

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 09:57:09 AM »
Ford (KarKraft?) used that on the Ford GT at LeMans - but only one year.  It was a top loader, but don't remember where the diff was sourced.  '65 or so?
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline maguromic

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 10:11:56 AM »
Pete Weismann was the man responsible for that trans.  He developed it while he working at Kar Kraft.  If you click the pictures of the can-am and GT-40 it describes what he did.  http://www.weismann.net/innovations.html
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:38:35 AM by maguromic »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »
 miss post
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tom Simon

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 06:02:54 PM »
Has anyone put a Mendeola transaxle in an LSR car?  No QC option, but they are built from modern parts with spares support (built for the offroad market). They usually have a display at SEMA

http://www.mendeolatransaxles.com/mendeola_transaxles.php

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 07:18:18 PM »
Ford (KarKraft?) used that on the Ford GT at LeMans - but only one year.  It was a top loader, but don't remember where the diff was sourced.  '65 or so?

1965 is correct - Kar Kraft proprietary transaxle stuffed with toploader guts.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 08:14:27 PM »
The McKee transaxle was designed and built by McKee Engineering in Palatine, Illinois in the mid to late sixties using GM parts. The company still exists. I don't know if they'd be interested in doing a project like that now but it might not hurt to ask. It seemed to be a tough unit.

They've apparently since moved to Lake Zurich, IL.

Pete
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:58:31 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline maguromic

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 11:13:31 PM »
Has anyone put a Mendeola transaxle in an LSR car?  No QC option, but they are built from modern parts with spares support (built for the offroad market). They usually have a display at SEMA

http://www.mendeolatransaxles.com/mendeola_transaxles.php

A few years ago I ran into a guy that was building a lakester with one. I  don't know if the car ever made it on to  the salt yet. IMO, depending on what your application is I think you  can find allot more transaxle for less money than what they want.  Tony
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:18:41 PM by maguromic »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 11:47:06 PM »
Porsche 930 transaxles have been used in mid- engine applications for quite a while; they have a reputation for strength and different gearsets are available. In addition, adapters, clutches, and flywheels are available from KEP (Kennedy Engineered Products) for just about anything. They are 4- speed transaxles.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline racefan

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 11:23:39 PM »
I have a McKee transaxle w/shift linkage and suspension with control arms, half shafts, brakes, trailing arms, and koni shocks. They were given to me by a friend in 1985 when he moved to california. He helped his boss at work remove it from a McKee road race car (model unknown). The car was dismanteled for the engine which was a Crysler Hemi. I have had these parts in my garage since then and have been trying to sell them for about a year, but don't know the value and can't find anyone who is in need of them. I know there are still some Mckees out there and have conversed with owners of them by e-mail. I don't want to trash these parts. I would appreciate any help in finding the value of these parts and a buyer.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:42:03 PM by racefan »

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »
I seem to recall an article about a hemi powered McKee CanAm car. Article said it was 1 of 1 though, so odds are slim it was that particular one.

The article in question had some good pictures of the transaxle, cable shift, with the shift side of the (super?)T-10 up (at an angle) and the cables fed to a shifter that looked kind of like a shifter off a single rail trans with cables out the back.     
Shifter mechanism housing looked like a casting IIRC.
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik