Author Topic: asking for heads up on impound measurement(s)  (Read 15961 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: asking for heads up on impound measurement(s)
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 06:03:31 PM »
Or think about the time when Scott Guthrie set records with a four-cylinder bike, of which two of the four cylinders were different from others.  If that motor had blown up and the destroyed one was small -- the engine would have measured, using only the big ones, as too big for the class.

Not a common instance,but it has happened. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
I know Jack Costella blew his 50cc single to the point of nothing left to measure for a bore.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 07:54:48 PM »
You must be kidding!
Tell me again what happens and why if the engine blows up on a backup run but still has measurable parts the size can't be verified. :roll:

Read again
Try again.
You might want to dwell in the meaning of "BLOWN UP" and "MEASURABLE".
There is a reason the FIA and FIM both require measurement of every bore and stroke that was used for the power package also.
Anything else is just blind faith.
The key is to be smarter than the cheaters and make sure they respect the the difference.
If the cheater is smarter than the person certifying the measurement, the other entries are being cheated as well. :roll:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 09:41:14 PM »
Goodness Guys! :-D

Wasn't looking to cheat orto catch any unnecessary grief :evil: IF I was fortunate enough to end up in impound, I just didn't want to be blindsided by non-logical things. :roll:

If a guy is pretty close to the displacement limit, and they use a caliper to verify the stroke, there might be a problem there. My assumption is that they use a dial caliper for verification of both bore and stroke. If that is the case, then it is very easy to miss the correct bore by a couple of thousandths and certainly probable that the stroke would be missed by more than a couple. Some strokes just don't dwell very long at either TDC or BDC. :-o

SO, what I think I am hearing (reading) from responses so far is that it is far better to be a few inches shy than right on the limit. Which is somewhat of a recounting of most of my adult life! :lol:

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 10:12:41 PM »
Precisely ! :-D
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 11:21:09 PM »
For someone as cagy as you and with the vast experience you have including that at SuperFlow, if I were the tech guy, I would really look very carefully, not only at cid but anything and everything else I could possibly be aware of.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 02:21:13 AM »
in the motorcycle class you can be over your cc limit by a .020 over bore  in vintage i think its .050   --a set of calipers is what is always been used on my bike  what you have to watch is that they subtract the distance from the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder if they dont it will add to the stroke my engine is 984 cc i run in the 1000 cc class im under by 1 cu in  my plug isnt in the center of the bore so i have to pull the head   o well     willie buchta

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 03:51:46 AM »
SO, what I think I am hearing (reading) from responses so far is that it is far better to be a few inches shy than right on the limit. Which is somewhat of a recounting of most of my adult life!

ahem.... :-o
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 08:56:55 AM »
HB2 and Dr. G -- Don't worry -- that "few inches"...is measured from the ground.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »
HB2 and Dr. G -- Don't worry -- that "few inches"...is measured from the ground.

to which I have to paraphrase the old one about the two men sitting at the end of the pier.....dangling , as it were..." the water is cold".....................................................

" and deep!" :mrgreen:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 06:43:55 PM »
Oh darn.  I forgot about the impound.  I Hope to be ready for ECTA/Maxton in April. My motor is a de-stroked Chevy 305. CID is 254.7  cu in.  I guess that is to close to the 260 cu in. upper limit in E class ?

Does ECTA  have you tear down ?  (mmm I am going to need some tools,, LOL )

The Body just made it here, the chassis should be done this week. Once they meet, I gotta get the Roll Cage built.  Is the halo bar the preffered way for the front loop?

Thanks

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 10:22:46 PM »
Dyno & Harold. Just because an engine is within 3% of the limit does not mean it will be always torn down. The pumps are sent back periodically for calibration. Yes it is checkable and can be done. During the last 7 or 8 years I've been doing them I have found with the proper training you can get very very close to the cubic inch diplacement of the engine. Even if a competitor is well with in the limit I pride myself on getting the engine to pump what it truely is. Internal engine temperture is a large factor in the procedure, We have an exact % factor for each degree. The list is with the pumps. When the engines cylinder air tempature is found and the pump properly used it will be correct.

If you are close it maybe to you advantage to bring whatever is necessary to remove a cylinder head. The valves must be made inoperable for the pump to function correctly. OHC guys please take note. If you remove the timing belt and your pistons can hit the open valves we cannot pump you engine. Good Luck..........................JD

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 12:32:31 AM »
JD, I REALLY don't want to upset the apple cart but......
Wasn't the rule changed to +/- 3% to keep someone who had an engine at the maximum upper (or lower) limit from moving into the next displacment class? I understand the pump can be very accurate as we used it many times in the past during my SCCA Trans-Am days and several SCTA records but the point is to make sure someone doesn't run in the wrong class. I wouldn't want to tear down if I could help it but we need to stay consistent, there are more than a few classes that would easily have higher records if the lower class could run in the upper class ( I know Jack, shame on them) but it's how we do it.
My point is if you're within the 3% limit you need to be torn down............or change the rule to ???  JMHO
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 01:04:15 AM »
Fluid displacement is going to be more accuate than pumping air any day if it is close. :wink:

Offline RP

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 11:03:50 AM »
Charles,

I believe ECTA goes by the honor system and they believe you are running whatever size motor you claim to be running...no tear down.....no fun cheating and noy getting caught.