Author Topic: turbocharger placement  (Read 3675 times)

Offline ferrarokid

• New folks
turbocharger placement
« on: February 08, 2008, 07:02:24 PM »
Hey guy's building a lsr car as we speak, turbocharged mitsubishi 4g63 .. was planning on running a foward facing turbo inlet, (where the radiator would normally mount) about 8-9 inches of the ground .. does anybody have any experience with running the turbo this close to the ground, with no air filter ? ? was just curious to see if that was a big no-no due to salt ingestation or, some other unforeseen problems ? ?

Thanks for any input ! ! !

John Romero

Re: turbocharger placement
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:34:55 AM »
I have had mine placed pretty much where you are considering. It is a Garret GT37 and I don't run an air filter of screen. So far I have had no problems when running the car but I have to be very careful when towing. I have made a rubber ball that is attached to the car end of the tow strap so you cant forget to stick it in when hooking up. The down side is no warming up the engine when towing the car.

I check my turbo after every event and have never seen any appreciable wear on the compressor wheel so I ASSume i am not getting any salt in there. I will say two things to look out for.

1. If your car has a low front air dam (lower then mine) then you have to be careful when pulling off the track as salt buildup (salt clods) are everywhere and hitting a well placed one will explode it and it will go in. shutting off the engine before turning out will minimize this.

2. See how my turbo has the outer compress or wheel vents? when I have had salt ingestion during towing and when I do something silly then it goes in there and not in the compressor.

All in all it is very possible to do and not have any problems but just keep in mind that it will require some added steps to keep it from biting you in the behind.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:43:39 AM by John Romero »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:41:18 AM »
I have had mine placed pretty much where you are considering. It is a Garret GT37 and I don't run an air filter of screen. So far I have had no problems when running the car but I have to be very careful when towing. I have made a rubber ball that is attached to the car end of the tow strap so you cant forget to stick it in when hooking up. The down side is no warming up the engine when towing the car.

I check my turbo after every event and have never seen any appreciable wear on the compressor wheel so I ASSume i am not getting any salt in there. I will say two things to look out for.

1. if your car has a low front air dam (lower then mine) then you have to be careful when pulling off the tract as salt buildup (salt clods) are everywhere and hitting a well placed one will explode it and it will go in. shutting off the engine before turning out will minimize this.

2. See how my turbo has the outer compress or wheel vents? when I have had salt ingestion during towing and when I do something silly then it goes in there and not in the compressor.

All in all it is very possible to do and not have any problems but just keep in mind that it will require some added steps to keep it from biting you in the behind.

John it is great to see your input on this, thanks.  Would your class allow the inlet to be on a snorkel out in front of the air dam???  Seems that would have a couple advantages such as it would be in clean air and also be out there where if you hit the crunches coming off of the course it would be in front of the air dam.

c ya,

Sum

John Romero

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:46:05 AM »
John it is great to see your input on this, thanks.  Would your class allow the inlet to be on a snorkel out in front of the air dam???  Seems that would have a couple advantages such as it would be in clean air and also be out there where if you hit the crunches coming off of the course it would be in front of the air dam.

c ya,

Sum

Hi Sumner,

Unfortunately, nothing can extend out from the air dam/front bumper. That is allowed in the roadsters and some vintage (i think?) but not in altered or gas coupe. I am not sure about comp coupe, I have never run there so don't know those rules very well.