Author Topic: An idea...  (Read 6679 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
An idea...
« on: February 07, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
...how about a seperate forum for all of us new guys, where we can find answers to our (some would say)stupid questions? Maybe a "Basics for idiots" sort of deal. Great site b.t.w.,just need to make it simpler for us slow types!!   Jerry :-)
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: An idea...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »
Look under LSR forums, or archives. it's full of info for new guys and besides we don't mind answering questions or directing you to the area you ask about. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 01:34:22 PM »
...how about a seperate forum for all of us new guys, where we can find answers to our (some would say)stupid questions? Maybe a "Basics for idiots" sort of deal. Great site b.t.w.,just need to make it simpler for us slow types!!   Jerry :-)

Then we would all have to move to that forum.  Ask your questions and don't worry about it,

Sum

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 03:19:21 PM »
Everybody is a newbie at some point. The difficulty is trying to figure out what question to ask. When you are beginning it's all questions with few answers.

The only way to get over that hurdle is to ask. It may indeed be a "dumb" question but somebody will get over that and answer, and with answers you can figure out what the next question might be.

As far a "dumb" questions, have you read what some of the old timers have posted? :-)
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 03:46:49 PM »
I have been told that there are no "Dumb" questions. However if you want "Dumb" answers I stand ready.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »
You're worried about sounding stupid?  Think about this - 

You are right now online with 1512 members who think spending thousands of dollars and thousands of hours of their spare time putting together cars and motorcycles to drive in a straight line for three-to-five miles in the middle of a desert in 100+ degree heat is a good way to spend a week's vacation in August.

I can't imagine a question so stupid that it could possibly overshadow the basic premise of this sport! :-D

Welcome aboard!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 06:54:17 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 06:59:46 PM »
You forgot that a lot of us drive hundreds or thousands of miles to do all of the above
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 09:17:07 PM »
After 2 records :),  and coming out since i was 10 yrs old with my father as pit bitch, i am still that 'NEWBIE".  Ask away and pay close attention to the answers that you get. It is pretty easy to research strings and figure out who is talking out of their a$$, and who has the knowledge (most of these guys).

You will not find another more knowledgeable, or more willing group to guide you, even against one of their records...cheers...and welcome...
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 12:20:43 AM »
I understand why you would say post a newbie forum..  There are "other" net forums where you will immediately get covered in hot tar and strung up for the vultures to eat for asking a question.  I'm on a 4x4 board that's like that and I keep my mouth shut and search.

Landracers are completely different.  It's not like that here.

Ask away
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 12:25:51 AM »

You are right now online with 1512 members who think spending thousands of dollars and thousands of hours of their spare time putting together cars and motorcycles to drive in a straight line for three-to-five miles in the middle of a desert in 100+ degree heat is a good way to spend a week's vacation in August.

I can't imagine a question so stupid that it could possibly overshadow the basic premise of this sport! :-D

Welcome aboard!

This is funny - I timed my runs at El Mirage and it's like 18 seconds or something like that.  I get two if I'm lucky and it costs me a LOT of money to get there...  I'd hate to think about the "cost per second"...   It took me three times the money to get to Bonneville and yet I sit here....  unable to wait to go back. 

I gotta go practice my tuck or something.
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 01:50:56 AM »

.....at it all day today ...and I did night shift last night , cross eyed right now , and poor............. You know though I could have taken up boxing , trained all year to get the s&*# beaten out of me.................
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

racin jason

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 01:59:07 AM »

Welcome aboard!

This is funny - I timed my runs at El Mirage and it's like 18 seconds or something like that.  I get two if I'm lucky and it costs me a LOT of money to get there...  I'd hate to think about the "cost per second"...   It took me three times the money to get to Bonneville and yet I sit here....  unable to wait to go back. 

I gotta go practice my tuck or something.

at least you don't have to leave your country to race!!! :-)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 08:15:30 AM »
Stupid Questions work for me, I post em everywhere all the time but I always get sensible answers.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 10:17:03 AM »
A very large "thank you" to all.............now I can take off my flame resistant suit and feel welcome. But............if my question get REAL stupid............ :-D Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 01:54:39 PM »
My one comment is to make sure the subject is relevant when you do post.  I see too many posts that have a subject of "a question" or "I have questions"

Should be something like "Bike frame question" or "displacement question" etc. ....