Author Topic: framed or not to be framed  (Read 13187 times)

Offline sheribuchta

framed or not to be framed
« on: February 06, 2008, 08:01:58 PM »
We are starting a new build diary here. Its going to be a very simple drag bike style frame. But its going to be tough enough for dry lakes or salt racing. The tubing is going to be a little thicker than drag racing. Nothing exotic. Its 1 1/8 inch .125 wall d.o.m. Its a double down tube single tube backbone. Your typical harley frame. Although any motor and transmission could fit into it. Its simple. Its inexpensive. And its something that probably half the people here could build.
The first step is making some type of fixture to hold your parts in place. It could be done with angle iron and some threaded rod. Some scrap tubing.
The first thing to do is build the neck. This particular bike I made my own neck on the lathe. It takes a bearing race and a timken bearing, one on the top and one on the bottom. If you can't make the neck a local machine shop would be happy to do it. Or I will do it for a small fee. The rear axle castings are off a harley davidson softail swing arm  I like to use them because they have that 50's look. You can actually make them out of 1/4 inch cold roll plate, but on this bike I'm going to use these. The backbone and the seat post will be 1 1/2 in .125 wall d.o.m. Its going to have a 75 inch wheelbase with a 30 in long frontend and 45 degrees of neck angle(rake).
Enjoy the pics.
Willie Buchta
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:55:56 AM by sheribuchta »

Offline sheribuchta

Re: framed or not to be framed
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:05:12 PM »
The first four pics were pretty much of the frame jig setup and the neck in place on the jig.
The next four pics will be the frame jig with the neck the axle castings and the front frame tubes bent but not fit.

willie buchta

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »
A couple of more pics.
willie buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:16:10 PM »
Willy, you need a bigger shop. :-D :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 12:46:13 AM »
Hey Glen  my shop is fine   its 3600 sq. ft    I need less projects

willie buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:09:45 AM »
Willie you are a bike building fool........what is that like four bikes in the six months? What tubing bender do you use?

Scott

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 01:53:15 AM »
its been cold this winter so im a little slow when the weather warms up i will be able to work longer days the bike in this build will just be a frame for a customer --it a very simple frame styled after the 57 harley frame --ive seen a lot of junk aftermarket frames and thought if someone watching wanted to build one they could just follow along --it doesnt take a lot a frame jig that can be made from just about anything --a bender although tubing can be bent around just about anything --and a good welder either a tig or a wire feed and some one that knows how to run it --the bender i use is a jd squared  it works really will the bender is about 250 dollars then the dyes are a couple hundred each depending on size it will bend 1 in to 2 in round they also make dyes for square tube im not sure of the sizes i think they have a web site iv had the bender for about 14 years and would reccomend it highly    thanks  willie buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 08:39:31 AM »
Yeah I have been looking to get a JD2.

Scott

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 11:07:49 AM »
its been cold this winter so im a little slow when the weather warms up i will be able to.......................willie buchta............

Modesto Weather:

Today:  High 63F.
Tomorrow: High 64F. 
Saturday: Plenty of sun. Highs in the upper 60s.
Sunday: Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 60s.
Monday: Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the upper 60s.

................ cold?????????  It hasn't been above 40 here for almost 2 months...........the pictures were taken yesterday.  Funny how the cold effects us old guys  :cry:.

c ya,

Sum

Offline GH

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:17:03 AM »
Sumner, I thought I would like to live in Blanding, not any more, looking at all that snow.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:28:48 AM »
Sumner, I thought I would like to live in Blanding, not any more, looking at all that snow.

Well it is the first time in years that we have had a winter like this.  Last couple years it was rain when it should have been snow.  Besides you wouldn't have to live here all of the year.  Go to AZ in the winter  8-).

.....................and this picture wasn't taken in Utah, but at my Mom's house 35 miles south of your place in the banana belt  :evil:, and how many days were you without elect. last year in that ice storm.  Maybe Blanding doesn't look that bad  :lol:.

Willie sorry to mess up your new build.  You are doing some really nice work and I'm watching and learning.  Thanks. 

Sum
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:49:18 AM by Sumner »

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »
afrer looking at those pics it suddenly seems a lot warmer here  willie buchta

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 02:10:36 PM »
Here's some more pics on the frame build  the bottom frame rails are done and welded to the neck and rear axle castings   the front engine mount is finished the rear engine mount is finished  the front and rear tranny mount is finished  and the seat post is installed and everything is tacked into place  the next will be the top frame rail and the back top tubes  Here's the pics
Willie Buchta

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 02:11:16 PM »
more pics

Offline willieworld

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 11:37:08 PM »
The frame is done it is still in the frame jig but it is done. If I get a chance I will pull it out tommorrow and take a couple more pics.
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta