Author Topic: REAR ENDS - OPEN, SPOOL or LOCKER??  (Read 24308 times)

John Romero

Re: REAR ENDS - OPEN, SPOOL or LOCKER??
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 04:12:16 PM »

John Romero, any conclusion on front wheel drive with spool? My FWD lakester moved around alot at SW and I concluded that it was salt condition in combination with my me not having enough balast on the front. Last year with a C engine had no wheel spin in low, but this year they would spin like crazy unless I pedaled it. I have a B engine and didn't ad any balast cause I was just trying to go 'just" 5 mph faster. I think I went over the edge. Any thoughts as I have a spool also.

Made a bunch of passes with no handling problems at all. The car was very stable at all speeds and didn't get upset when I lifted, pulled the chute or anything. Despite "explosive" boost application and ridiculous amount of wheel spin the car was actually very drivable and confidence inspiring. All in all it is working very well so I am going to leave it in. With that said, I do have a significant amount of front ballast (200+ lbs) and a very stiff suspension setup.

Doug, I hear what you are saying about the axle breaking problem and the likely results. I have installed a really nice set of custom axles that I feel can handle any amount of torque I could throw at it. Plus I inspect the whole front end and driveline very closely before each event. I *think* i'm OK in that regard  :-P