Author Topic: Midwest Lakester Build !!  (Read 49383 times)

Offline GH

Re: Midwest Lakester Build !!
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2008, 10:01:16 AM »
GMC Bubba, you are the one I talked to at the Hamb drags at Mo-Kan last August and you had the red and white ford pickup at Speedweek last year or the year before, right? I, also am building a 302 GMC 6 banger to go in my 53 Studebaker LSR car, efi and turbocharged.

Offline GMC BUBBA

• New folks
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2008, 08:13:21 PM »
GMC Bubba, you are the one I talked to at the Hamb drags at Mo-Kan last August and you had the red and white ford pickup at Speedweek last year or the year before, right? I, also am building a 302 GMC 6 banger to go in my 53 Studebaker LSR car, efi and turbocharged.

Ya thats us, getting ready to run Maxton in a couple weeks and just fired the gmc hamb dragster toady. Going to install a transmission ( been trying direct drive with clutch)  and make some changes to the ventilation on the engine. had a oil leak 3rd round at MoKan last year.
The engine i loaned the boys for their lakester is a killer engine from bottom to top. They should run well in the lakester....

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2008, 08:24:47 PM »
Well Jim ,we made it back ! Thanks for letting us come over !!! That was pretty cool ,and some cool rides sure did show up !!!! If anyone is around Indianapolis you need to check out Jim's shop's !!!For everyone else we are just a couple days away from firing it up !!!! Still going to try to make the april Maxton show ,but we are thinking of just waiting until the may show !!!! To make sure everything is all good ,and have time to build a custom open trailer !!! I will post more pix. soon !!!!!

Offline GMC BUBBA

• New folks
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2008, 09:19:09 PM »
Well Jim ,we made it back ! Thanks for letting us come over !!! That was pretty cool ,and some cool rides sure did show up !!!! If anyone is around Indianapolis you need to check out Jim's shop's !!!For everyone else we are just a couple days away from firing it up !!!! Still going to try to make the april Maxton show ,but we are thinking of just waiting until the may show !!!! To make sure everything is all good ,and have time to build a custom open trailer !!! I will post more pix. soon !!!!!

Thanks for coming over, let me know as we get closer to fire up time. Car looks really good.
Everyone over here thought it was pretty neat as well.
I should know something on the starter this week.

Offline GMC BUBBA

• New folks
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2008, 08:20:41 PM »
WELL, WHATS GOING ON ?
Lets get er done !! I still havent heard anymore on the starter i send it for repair....  :-o

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2008, 09:04:13 PM »
Been sick all week !!! Gonna put the hammer down this weekend !!!!! Got to get shifter hooked up , and slave cyl. for the clutch mounted !!!! Itching to hear this baby run !!!!

Offline GMC BUBBA

• New folks
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »
Maxton weather isnt looking good! A long tow to find rain may cancel our trip tomorrow based on area forecast??
Bus is loaded and ready though.. :-(

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2008, 10:52:31 PM »
You'll be pissed when you find out it was just cloudy, with a little fog in the morning.  You are at home, they are racing...
(ask the guys that didn't go to Speedweek last year)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2008, 07:58:30 AM »
     From my limited experience [half dozen or so trips down] Maxton can have it's own seperate weather pattern often unlike reports from either Charlotte or Wilmington on the coast.  We have gone down in the rain, come back in the rain, and had it rain while there.  Never happened to catch a total washout yet, course dries fast.  Shower delays are just an excuse to better enjoy the car show.

We will be loading today and plan on heading out tomorrow morning with the 260 RMR.  I'll be looking for the Blue bus, gotta pick your brain and maybe steal some tech [thinking on a similar set up for a lakester under construction].

Ed Purinton

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »
Hey Jim you could hold off !!! Go next month when we do !!! Maybe even get more runs in !!!! We are still trying to get the starter done "Waiting" !!! Going to start on a new trailer this weekend !!!! Good luck if you already left !!!

Offline GMC BUBBA

• New folks
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2008, 09:38:52 PM »
Well ,good decision or bad we voted not to go this meet. We do plan on going before September maybe in May or a later date.
Every weather service on the planet shows rain on sat!
The good side is we cleaned out the hauler, filled her with fuel and rearranged every part in the storage area . We will get there some time this year. :-D

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2008, 03:12:31 PM »
Ok everyone ,I just thought we would give you a update !!! The car is done and ready to fire up ! I just finished the new trailer . Now we just have to wait !!! Well Ok I'm going to build something else now !!!! I will post some pics. of it on the new trailer this weekend  !!!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2008, 11:35:01 PM »
Congratulations - we're looking forward to the pics, but more importantly, we're looking to see it go.

Itching to hear this baby run !!!!

Any way you might be able to video the maiden start-up, post it on Youtube, and send us a link?  We'd like to hear it, too!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »
Well I got the roll cage in the 1970 monte carlo drag car done today ! I just picked up another cool project today ! a 36 dodge truck cab were going to make into a 60's era altered gasser drag car !!! Lakester trailer is being painted now .Man I just love to build cool stuff !!! Trying to come up with something else to build for Bonneville ? Maybe the worlds fastest shopping cart !!!! LOL !!!! Need something to play with while we are out there !!!!!

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2008, 04:17:29 PM »
Man the Moon disc even make the trailer look fast !!!