Author Topic: My LS Bike Build Part 2  (Read 70210 times)

Offline sheribuchta

Re: My LS Bike Build Part 2
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »
kaz  if those guys dont want that shifter ill take it  willie buchta

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2008, 10:36:27 AM »
Hey guys. (quick hijack here). Got the pics of the shifter from Scott. Thanks a bunch but we're going to pass.
Feel free to pass it on to Willie he'll probably make better use of it then us anyway!

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Super Kaz

« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »
kaz  if those guys dont want that shifter ill take it  willie buchta

willie,
I trade ya for a couple of those cheap stands you make 8-)?
Thanks,
Kaz........ :wink:

P.S
e-mail me your address to send it to kazracing@cox.net

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »
done deal   willie buchta

Super Kaz

« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2008, 10:18:07 PM »
done deal   willie buchta

willie,

Cool I'll getter all boxed up ,and send it USPS 8-).

Thanks,

Kaz.....

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2008, 01:38:37 AM »
Took the bike down to the dyno today to make a few test passes and make sure the bike is shifting correctly. All seems fine and it shifted into fifth with no problems, I did however find neutral a couple of times going from first to second.

While on the dyno my coil bracket broke, which caused my wires to go tight and they rubbed through the iginition wire and caused a short and fried one of my switches. After a quick repair so we could continue on the dyno we made a few more passes at which point I noticed the intake had loosened up again. This is when we noticed I had initially installed the gaskets on the intake wrong. Bonehead move on my part!! Back to make another pass, the bike is running fat until about 5500 rpm and then it starts to go lean all the way to redline. So a change of the main jet to fix the problem as all we are really worried about is the top end power as my bike should never see 5000 rpm except for at take off in first gear. Change the main jet and it is still fat but we are getting closer, I go to change to a larger main jet and the dam thing will not come out. I believe the head on the jet got partially stripped so the carb has to come off.

All in all I am happy even though I had a string of bad luck and I had some things pointed out to that were done wrong. I learned a lot from someone who I hold in high regard.

We made seven passes and all of them were with in a 1-2 horse of one another, so the bike was very consistent. Peak horsepower was around 124+ and torque was 99+. This is good as we did not finish with the dyno passes as I need to remove the jet and fix the other items. After the repairs are made we will make a few more passes in an effort to get some more power out of her.

Scott

racin jason

« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2008, 03:44:11 AM »
Scott,
Are you running a thunder jet on your carb?

They worked well on our drag bike.

i have a new one sitting here gathering dust

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2008, 09:55:38 AM »
Scott,
Are you running a thunder jet on your carb?

They worked well on our drag bike.

i have a new one sitting here gathering dust

Yes, I am running a thunder jet. Than you for the offer.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2008, 02:14:10 AM »
Here is my update from last week when the site was being uprgraded.......

Here is my cracked coil bracket.

And the bastard jet that kept me from finishing the dyno runs.

Here is the carb with no mounting bracket.

And here it is with the new bracket to support the weight of the carb and to help with the vibration.

New tach has been mounted in it's new location, wiring will be done later in the week.

And as if things haven't been fun enough in the past week with the bike. My bike has dual plugs per head and the center one on both heads came out like this. I know use anti-sieze.......it's amazing because I own a tube of anti-sieze and I didn't use it and am going to pay the price.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2008, 02:14:31 AM »
After repairing everything on the bike after last weeks dyno run, I went back for more!!

The bike made some more power with some more carb changes. I still have not touched the timing, I should make a few more passes prior to Bonneville to dial in the timing and one more jetting change.

The final numbers were 128 hp and 101 ft lbs tq. I am pleased to say the least!! We were going to make one more pass to dial the A/F a bit more and on that pass I couldn't get from first to second, only to neutral and back to first. I was hoping to finish that pass as I felt it was going to put me at the 130 mark.

Here is why I couldn't shift.....this cast POS!

So I bought a new shift arm from Al at American Sport Bike.

I took the bike for a spin after the new arm was installed and I still couldn't get into second...........hmmmmmmmmmm..........time to open the primary up again. The metallic oil scared me..........

The starter gear took a few thousands off of the shifter pawl lever.......

Here is the problem, the snap ring holds the washer against the brass bushing which is held up to the back plate of the pawl.....my washer and snap ring were setting in the back of the machined hole in the cases not attached to the pawl shaft. Here is the pawl with the new parts installed and the old ones on the book.

Here is where the pawls brash bushing slides into, the backplate is then bolted to the case via the two studs.

THIS WAS MY SHIFTING PROBLEM ALL ALONG!! I am glad I found it on the dyno and not at Bonneville!!

While the primary was open I took the gear set out for some investigation to ensure everything was intact and in proper working order. I took it to a fellow racers shop for examination and a clean bill of health. All is well with the gear set with the exception of a little wear on the second gear dogs.

On a side note this Sunday's race at El Mirage was canceled due to standing water on the course. This weekend was going to be a final tuning pass for me prior to Bonneville. Now I will have to make my final check out pass on the Sept 14th at El Mirage and then we are off to Bonneville on the morning of the 15th.

I am glad all of this recent stuff has happened when it did, instead of at Bonneville.

Scott

Offline willieworld

« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2008, 04:40:33 AM »
scott   what gear were you in when you were taking horsepower and torque measurements          thanks willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2008, 09:45:48 AM »
scott   what gear were you in when you were taking horsepower and torque measurements          thanks willie buchta

4th gear Willie.......

Offline willieworld

« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2008, 10:37:49 AM »
a very good number for 1350 and an old harley motor    willie
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:19 PM »
Got the transmission and primary all back together along with the new shift lever. Took the bike up the road yesterday and as soon as I shifted into second I knew my problems were gone. I had no problems from 1st-5th, I think this problem is behind me now.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2008, 11:45:24 PM »
After dinner this evening I decided to tear down the top end to check everything out and to repair the center spark plug thread on each head as well as properly index the plugs prior to going to Bonneville.

Here is the rear head, everything looks good to me but, what do I know! I expected more carbon build up, it is minimal.

Here is the front cylinder and piston, looks like all of my measurements for piston to valve clearance were correct. The eyebrow indent you see was from when these pistons were in another motor and I needed pistons for Bonneville last year.

Here is the rear cylinder. Anyone know what that weird spot in the middle of the piston is??