Author Topic: My LS Bike Build Part 2  (Read 70197 times)

Offline isiahstites

Re: My LS Bike Build Part 2
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 09:41:57 PM »
Kent we looked at your junk and then my junk and thought your junk was more junkier than my junk, so since my junk didn't look as junky as your junk we welded my junk.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 09:44:55 PM by isiahstites »

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 09:48:30 PM »
Put the front end on today along with the rear wheel to see what she looks like with her new modifications.

I knew the front end was going to stick up out of the triple trees, so I am looking into lowering the front end a little bit. I have seen the legs stick throught the triple trees on other bikes, what do you guys think about this? Should I lower the legs with a kit and new springs are cut the springs and put spacers in the tubes or leave it?

Scott

Offline willieworld

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 11:10:15 PM »
if you just cut the springs the tubes may bottom out  if you are going to do any of that cut the springs and tubes  me i would leave it the way it is  mine are like that too  juat a thought   bike looks great  should work well     willie buchta
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 11:14:31 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »
if you just cut the springs the tubes may bottom out  if you are going to do any of that cut the springs and tubes  me i would leave it the way it is  mine are like that too  juat a thought  willie buchta

I thought of cutting the tubes as well, I would have to see if I could find someone to re-thread the inside of the tubes. I have never done anything like that, I will have to research it I don't want it to be more trouble than its worth.

Scott

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 11:23:43 PM »
if you just cut the springs the tubes may bottom out  if you are going to do any of that cut the springs and tubes  me i would leave it the way it is  mine are like that too  juat a thought  willie buchta

I thought of cutting the tubes as well, I would have to see if I could find someone to re-thread the inside of the tubes. I have never done anything like that, I will have to research it I don't want it to be more trouble than its worth.

Scott

Yep it does look great.  Good job!!

Sum

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 11:32:33 PM »
Hey Scott, Looks really good..   

It's a little more involved to shorten the inverted forks then the conventional. But, I think to take full advantage of all the work you just did you outta shorten them...

Looks like you'll have plenty of room for a fuel tank up front too.

I should get my frame done Mon., with any luck. That'll give me somethin to do for a couple days...

Keep the pics coming. I need sumpin to do.

Larry :-D
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 12:20:28 AM »
Thanks for all of the compliments guys!

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 10:43:21 PM »
I got some work done today. I want to try and put in as much time as I can now so I don't have to rush at the end so I should be posting a little more often than I have lately.

I made a template of a gusset and then transfered it to steel

Here they are welded in place.

Made my stabilizer bracket and welded it in place as well.

Added a 3" piece of tubing here to reduce chassis flex, I will be looking to do similiar bracing in the rear as well.

New exhaust parts have arrived.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 11:15:41 PM »
scott   tech is going to bitch about your damper front mount being close to the neck --i mounted mine like that and was told to move it out by the fork tube --it looks like you need steering stops if you look in the build diaries not just a wheel on a stick at the bottom of page 5 you will see some i built for sheris bike  3/8 bolts  dont forget 15 degrees left 15 degrees right 39 degrees total   bike looks good  willie buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 12:00:17 AM »
scott   tech is going to bitch about your damper front mount being close to the neck --i mounted mine like that and was told to move it out by the fork tube --it looks like you need steering stops if you look in the build diaries not just a wheel on a stick at the bottom of page 5 you will see some i built for sheris bike  3/8 bolts  dont forget 15 degrees left 15 degrees right 39 degrees total   bike looks good  willie buchta

Thanks Willie, I got my rule book on Thursday night so I am aware of the 30 degrees total. As far as the dampener is concerned it is where I ran it last year and it is where am I am going to run it this year until instructed otherwise.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 10:59:03 PM »
I removed the old battery tray from the left side of the seat post because it wan't allowing me to bring my left knee in. With the new fairing I want the left and right sides of the fairing to be the widest portions of the bike when I am riding not my knees. By moving the batter I can turn the oil tank slightly on the seat post and this will move the filler neck out of the way and allow my right knee to tuck in as well.

I cut the mounting bracket off.

This is the bottom of the seat post. If I had a rear fender it would mount here. I cut a wedge out of each side so I could bend the whole mount down.

Here the mount has been moved down and the wedge is gone and will be welded.

Here is the new location of the battery

I didn't get much else done today as I kept screwing things up so I felt is was best just to walk away and come back another day.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »
I borrowed a set of fairings from a friend to see how they fit my bike prior to ordering a set. I think they are going to work well. They are just sitting there now , however the front will need to be moved up a little for ground clearance and the rear is going to be highly modified to meet the rules. In the rear I will probably cut the seat area out and re-glass it so it conforms to the original seating position of the bike which is the most comfortable.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 01:18:57 AM »
Worked on the exhaust today.

I cut an these 1/8" thick so the flange would a place to stop against.

Here everything is together prior to welding.

Here is the exhaust all welded up and wrapped except the last piece I may change it once I have the fairing mounted permanently.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 05:58:41 AM »
What is the advantage of wrapping exhausts I have seen it done many times and think it looks real nice is it for protection of the rider from the heat or is there some advantage to keeping heat in the pipes.Looks good with the streamlining.

Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 08:30:22 AM »
What is the advantage of wrapping exhausts I have seen it done many times and think it looks real nice is it for protection of the rider from the heat or is there some advantage to keeping heat in the pipes.Looks good with the streamlining.

I am no expert on exhaust, but I believe it helps keep heat in the pipe which equals velocity, which equals the exhaust is getting out of the pipe quickly, which equals power. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Scott