Author Topic: My LS Bike Build Part 2  (Read 70207 times)

Offline isiahstites

Re: My LS Bike Build Part 2
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2008, 10:28:38 PM »
Ok , I got the handlebars cut and re-welded together. I have only been using my tig welder as of late and my skills are starting to improve.

Here is the start of the seat/support for the fairing. It is 16 gauge and since I don't have a break I cut a groove in the places I wanted a bend and then bent it by hand.

Cut to shape.

Welded the seems back up so I would not have any flex in them.

Mounted to the frame.

Here is how the fairing is held on to the newly made seat pan. These are dzus buttons which lock and unlock with a 1/4 turn. These will allow fast removal of the fairing. I will add a couple of these to the sides as well.

Here is the front and rear fairings mounted and un-trimmed.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2008, 10:29:07 PM »
Here are the lower rear fairing mounts, just pull the pin on each side and the fairing is off quickly.

I cut the opening for the new windscreen.

Then drilled the holes in both the screen and the fairing.

Here it is installed.

Here is the riders view.

I got the portion for my legs trimmed as well as installed the new front fender and some more trimming on the front fairing so the fender would not hit it while turning.

And a front view.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2008, 10:33:03 PM »
It's looking good Scott keep it up.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2008, 11:59:20 PM »
Bike's looking great Scott and the welding hand isn't bad either. From here on in all it takes is practice, practice, practice to get that nice even pattern.

Pete

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2008, 12:23:14 AM »
After being sick all week I was finally able to get back out into the garage and get some work done today.

I got the belly pan fitted and installed.

Here is what is holding it all together.

Here is the bike on the ground.

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2008, 12:41:15 AM »
Scott, I've followed your bike build right from the start. Your fabrication skills have grown just as your bike has evolved. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

-Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2008, 10:01:57 AM »
...........Your fabrication skills have grown just as your bike has evolved..........-Scott

I'd say.  It is scary to think how good he will be when he is as old as some of us,

Sum

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2008, 10:18:44 AM »
...........Your fabrication skills have grown just as your bike has evolved..........-Scott

I'd say.  It is scary to think how good he will be when he is as old as some of us,

Sum

Thanks guys! I am and will always be just a student wanting to learn as much as I can. I am greatful to have found so many awesome people with in the LSR scene who are will to help and teach.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2008, 11:35:43 PM »
I didn't like the way the new exhaust I built awhile back turned out as far as fit and finish and I didn't weld it as good as I could have, so I remade the whole thing! I wanted it to be right and it was bugging me.....

Here is the new one wrapped and with the 02 bung welded into place. I welded the pipe and bung with my tig this time not my mig, I took my time building this exhaust and am much happier........I will sleep tonight!!

Here is what it looks like with the fairing in place.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2008, 12:36:05 AM »
I took the primary apart today with the intentions of getting it back together before the days end after I installed the stator and rotor. Well that didn't happen, I was missing the four screws that hold the stator in place and one screw that holds the rotor to the sprocket. I also found out that the housing on the clutch cable at the primary was broke. So a trip to the mc shop was needed.

While I was at the mc shop I bought this as I did not want to run the velocity stack. This air filter and back plate are made just for the Super D carb and have a extra wide filter.

After I got back from the two mc shops I started to put everything back together. After I was finished installing the stator, rotor, front and rear sprockets I decided to roll the motor over by hand to make sure everything worked as it was supposed to............grinding is not good!! I broke one of the magnets away from the rotor due to a loose alan socket the rotor picked up. DAMN IT!!

So after to some research I found others have used JB Weld to re-attach the magnet with no problems. Now the primary will have to be finished in the morning.

I also got the speedometer re-mounted so it can be easily read while riding.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »
Uhn, Scott -- is that the speedometer right there?  I don't remember seeing a speedo calibrated in 0-8 x 1,000 rpm steps.  Ah, well, maybe it's a Harley/Buell thing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2008, 09:40:17 AM »
Jon, divide the final number by 50 to get MPH on a Harley.  :roll:  :-D

Watch them rotor magnets Scott, they can do some nasty damage. Use blue on the stator screws and red on the rotor screws!

Looking GREAT btw!
Todd

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2008, 10:44:23 AM »
Uhn, Scott -- is that the speedometer right there?  I don't remember seeing a speedo calibrated in 0-8 x 1,000 rpm steps.  Ah, well, maybe it's a Harley/Buell thing.

Slim, I am delirious from working on the bike so much.......I am allowed to screw up once in awhile. It was just the other day that you had a huge typo in one of your posts! You being the site grammar and puncuation teacher I thought it would be best not to point it out, but then you went and did this, I will be watching you Slim! :-D

Besides I know that if I hit 7300 rpm in 5th gear I went a certain speed......

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »
Jon, divide the final number by 50 to get MPH on a Harley.  :roll:  :-D

Watch them rotor magnets Scott, they can do some nasty damage. Use blue on the stator screws and red on the rotor screws!

Looking GREAT btw!
Todd

Thanks Todd

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2008, 11:50:18 AM »
Scott:

Au contraire, you should point out errors that I commit -- otherwise I'll never learn.

The heck of it is that my fingers are sometimes a bit bigger than the keys on this keyboard -- and the overlap gets a couple of keys hit at the same time.  And once in a while I just plain don't know how to spell, or where to punctuate.  Like everyone, I just do the best that I can.  Best regards on a fine cloudy-and-cool Saturday morning.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com