Author Topic: My LS Bike Build Part 2  (Read 70488 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: My LS Bike Build Part 2
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 12:21:15 PM »
What is the advantage of wrapping exhausts I have seen it done many times and think it looks real nice is it for protection of the rider from the heat or is there some advantage to keeping heat in the pipes.Looks good with the streamlining.

I am no expert on exhaust, but I believe it helps keep heat in the pipe which equals velocity, which equals the exhaust is getting out of the pipe quickly, which equals power. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Scott

Looks really nice Scott, you are doing nice work,

Sum

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 09:54:45 PM »
What is the advantage of wrapping exhausts I have seen it done many times and think it looks real nice is it for protection of the rider from the heat or is there some advantage to keeping heat in the pipes.Looks good with the streamlining.

I am no expert on exhaust, but I believe it helps keep heat in the pipe which equals velocity, which equals the exhaust is getting out of the pipe quickly, which equals power. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Scott

Looks really nice Scott, you are doing nice work,

Sum

Thanks Sumner......

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »
Made these pieces today for the top motor mount.

Here it is drilled and tacked into place. I will finish welding it when I take the bike a part for painting.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 11:51:27 PM »
Steering stops are complete and adjustable. Idea came from Randy N at MDR, this will allow me to have the rule required 15 degrees while racing and then what ever I desire while moving around and loading and unloading.

I got started on the gas tank as well, it should be about 1.5 gallons when I am done.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 09:43:29 PM »
I finished up the gas tank today. I am kinda shocked to say that if my math is correct that I have about a 2 1/2 gallon tank.

I started to weld up the bottom of the tank and stopped. I figured I have friends who are great welders and for safety reasons it would be better to let them weld it, fire at 175 mph probably isn't fun and I do not want to find out.

I will finish up the mounting brackets for the tank this week. I haven't decided how I am going to mount the tank yet, but I will figure it out later.

I am also going to order my filler neck, petcock and vent bungs this week so I can everything welded at all at once.

All in all I am happy with the tank as it is going to work well in the small space and it is out of the way. The tank being under the back bone will also allow me to get my whole body much closer to the back bone rather than the traditional gas tank like I had before.

Scott

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 10:01:56 PM »
Good job and it looks like you could weld it just fine.

I recently got some steel and aluminum filler necks from Full Bore (they are racers)....

http://www.fullborerace.com/Fuel%20Caps.htm

I got the smaller filler caps on the page.  I talked to rick at ERC and he said that the fuel nozzle they use at b'ville will go in it.  The smaller ones fit my application better.

If you get them I would try and tig them in and be real careful as the neck is not very long and not very thick and it is easy to mess the threads up on the inside welding.  I almost did that on the first one, but got it working after a little cleanup work.

c ya,

Sum

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2008, 11:00:51 AM »
Scott, your bike looks AWSOME I can't wait to see that big grin in a couple months!
 Your progress has been fun to watch, but reminds me how slow I'm going :roll:
 Keep up the good work!

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2008, 07:41:17 PM »
Good job and it looks like you could weld it just fine.

I recently got some steel and aluminum filler necks from Full Bore (they are racers)....

http://www.fullborerace.com/Fuel%20Caps.htm

Thats a great website, I will definately be buying some of those buttons from them.

I got my cap and bungs here as they are local and no shipping costs. They make everything on site and the product is very nice.

http://www.meziere.com/displaycategory.aspx?id=55,158

Scott, your bike looks AWSOME I can't wait to see that big grin in a couple months!
 Your progress has been fun to watch, but reminds me how slow I'm going :roll:
 Keep up the good work!

Thanks Craig, I hope to see your run in a few months as well.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2008, 01:29:01 AM »
My friend and fellow LSR racer Randy S brought a very important point to my attention regarding my newly fabricated gas tank..........it is block the air flow to the front cylinder head! DOH!!!

So I cut two inches off of the bottom which is approximately 1/4 gallon so now my tank is about 2.25 gallons.

Here is the tank with the new bottom.

Plenty of airflow now.

Here is the cap and bungs for the vent, petcock and gas cap.

The finished product.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 01:55:14 AM »
Scott looks great!!

J

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2008, 10:10:28 AM »
Looks nice Scott.  Heck aren't you planning on running so fast that you would get to the end of the course before you needed cooling  8-).  It is good when we learn from our mistakes and posting them sure might help someone else not go through the same deal.  Not always easy to do though.

I'm just wondering us car guys have to have a tip over valve in the fuel tank vent.  Is that required on bikes also??

c ya,

Sum

Offline smcleod007

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2008, 03:15:41 PM »
Cool lookin bike  :mrgreen:, and good job on taking the time to shoot photos and documenting the progress as you go. It's awesome to have welding skills and be able to build something from the ground up.

See ya on the Salt,

Another Scott  :-D

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2008, 10:23:21 PM »
Looks nice Scott.  Heck aren't you planning on running so fast that you would get to the end of the course before you needed cooling  8-).  It is good when we learn from our mistakes and posting them sure might help someone else not go through the same deal.  Not always easy to do though.

I'm just wondering us car guys have to have a tip over valve in the fuel tank vent.  Is that required on bikes also??

c ya,

Sum

I got nothing to hide, I am human just like the next guy and these type of forums have been very helpful to me so anyway I can give back is a good thing, but I am just a rookie amongst professionals.

Cool lookin bike  :mrgreen:, and good job on taking the time to shoot photos and documenting the progress as you go. It's awesome to have welding skills and be able to build something from the ground up.

See ya on the Salt,

Another Scott  :-D

Thanks Scott and congrats on your season last year. You should see the welds I don't show you guys!! :-o

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2008, 11:30:43 AM »
Hey Scott,
Lookin' good.

If I'm not mistaken motorcycles don't require a tip over valve. Although, Willie has put one on both of our bikes.
Sheri Buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2008, 08:47:19 PM »
I picked up my fairings today and I am very pleased to have a set of new fairings I can fit to my bike. I have a lot of cutting and trimming to do to make the fairings fit the bike so they can be mounted properly and be easy to take on and off of the bike quickly.

As you can see the nose is sitting up high, I will need to trim the inside of the fairing or widen it to allow the whole fairing to sit down on the bike. I will also have a lot of work to do to the rear fairing to make it conform to the rules and to fit a chassis that was never designed for a tail section such as this one.

Scott