Author Topic: My LS Bike Build Part 2  (Read 70195 times)

Offline isiahstites

Re: My LS Bike Build Part 2
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2008, 10:40:54 PM »
After taking some time of to spend with my new baby girl Sienna I am back to work! Bonneville is a month away and I want to be ready in advance.

I chased the threads of the two bad spark plug holes and this is what I got out of one of them. It appears worse than it was and the plug threads in smoothly now and is rock solid. These holes will be getting time serts next year when I tear the motor down to check tolerances.

Plugs indexed

I didn't forget the anti-sieze this time.

I also started the oil bleed-off.........here is the pump in stock form.

And here it is with bleed-off partially installed.

I have the motor back together and will continue to button everything up.

This was donated to me and will help a lot with the tuning of the bike. I can now install the data logging system.

I have also been beefing up on my gear....

More to come later......

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2008, 12:22:55 AM »
Bonneville is two weeks away and I am have a hard time getting stuff done because of the new lady in my life. She is amazing and I have been having a hard time making it out into the garage.

Today I realized that I need to get my ass in gear and get this bike done........I have a lot to do in a short period, however I am excited about making one last El Mirage shakedown run and then off to Bonneville to see what this bike really has in her!

Here is the finished bypass system and oil line re-routing.

I had some extra line left over so I used it to protect the ignition wires as they travel up in between the cylinders.

Next thing to repair was the broken motor/coil bracket. Here the old tabs have been cut off and prepped for the new supports.

Here the new tabs have been welded on..........my tig welding is getting better.

The finished bracket........this one shouldn't crack.

Next was to cut the front fairing to allow me to get my head all of the way down. Here it is cut after being taped off for a border line to follow.

Finished.......

Next up was to install a mount to hold the data logger. I cut a plate to the size of the logger and bent a piece of sheet metal for a mount so the bolts would be recessed.

After I spot welded the pieces together I drilled holes just big enough for the threads to go through the plate so I could drill the holes in the mount without having to mark them.

Welded up

I then drilled out larger holes in the top plate so the bolts would be recessed below the plate so the logger could sit flush.

No I can see the logger while riding along with the tach without taking my eyes off of the course.

Next I had to cover the battery posts. This was brought to my attention by a friend by the name of Stainless a few months back. Since I will be racing on the salt with no separation between the tire and the battery I needed to add something to cover the battery posts as salt is conductive and we don't need any shorts due to excessive salt build up on the battery. I made they little boxes to cover the posts......I put a water bottle cap next to one of the boxes so you could see the actual size.

I then welded them to the battery cover and repainted.

Installed

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2008, 02:51:59 AM »

Could we say that you now have a Sportster and a Wetster?

A Buell and some drool?

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2008, 03:05:27 AM »

A Buell and some drool?

Yep, all four........

Super Kaz

« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2008, 11:18:21 AM »

A Buell and some drool?

Yep, all four........

isiahstites,
Wow Your TIG Welding is Looking Very Good :-o!
How Far from Vegas are You? :wink:
I have that Pallet wrapped and waiting for you when ever you want?
I'm just stuck with my Bike in the shop{a Big Shoutout to The Racer's Edge for all their Help 8-)},but not enough time before the Laborday weekend.
To finish swapping out Motor's{TORCHED A HEADGASKET @ Speedweek},and Replace the Turbo{It was damaged also :cry:},The Full Wiring Harness,Tires,Gears, and putting back on my CATALYST COMPOSITES Full Race Bodywork by the Friday Night :oops:!
So I have to wait till Tuesday to finisher her up and then {HOPEFULLY}head off to BUB :|.
Your New Baby is Pretty Awesome Too :-D!
Your a Very BLESSED Racer,and I Happy for You!
See ya soon,
Kaz.............

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #140 on: August 31, 2008, 11:29:33 AM »
Kaz,

Thanks for all of the compliments! I am about 4 1/2 to 5 hours away from Vegas. Cool on the pallet, I will pick it up on my way back from the salt on the 19th or 20th.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2008, 12:15:19 AM »
Tuesday started out with tech inspection and pit set-up and a lot of talking with old and new friends.

After dinner we went to a cell tower upon a mountian top and took photos of the surrounding areas, that is Bonneville in the distance.

The City of Wendover

Wednseday was the first day of racing and I was one of the first at the starting line.

A few of the many vehicles that were racing.........

This diesel went 186 mph

Monte the starter checking things over and getting ready to send me on my way.

My first pass............

Photo op

Changing out the sprocket

More vehicles

My crew chief this year

Suck it in.........

The moon in the middle of the day?

Sunrise at Bonneville is always amazing!!

After a few runs the bike needed some repairs.

My new best friend from Illinois discussing how to weld the cracked gas tank.

A few more cars and a cool two stroke bike.

Bonneville in the morning

Right before my best pass of 172.2 mph

Heading for home with visions of things to do to go faster next year.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2008, 12:29:44 AM »
Very cool story and before you know it, Bonneville will be right around the corner. :-D

Offline RichFox

« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2008, 02:06:49 AM »
The orange car looked pretty neat.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2008, 10:20:29 AM »
Excellent pics and post Scott... was great meeting you and wish I had more time to spend with ya.
172+mph on a gasoline pushrod 1350 is killer! Congrats on an awesome job :cheers:
Todd