Author Topic: Dyno Video - GH's #787 Landspeed Studebaker!  (Read 15694 times)

Offline dieselgeek

Dyno Video - GH's #787 Landspeed Studebaker!
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:50:31 PM »
Last monday night we dyno'd Gary Hart's 53 Stude on our local Mustang dyno.   We simulated a 4th gear pull, WOT for 22 seconds (based on the time he spent in fourth gear at WOS last year).  We've had a problem with valve guides, but we believe the problem is solved now - because we made a number of WOT, heavily-loaded pulls and had zero issues.

Video is large, but worth the download.  Check it out here:

http://www.1320video.com/Studebaker.php

Motor is a 515" Merlin BBC.  Twin Powerstroke turbos.  Megasquirt EFI (MS1-Extra).  Geektuned.   :evil:

-scott
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:57:45 PM by dieselgeek »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Dyno Video - GH's #787 Landspeed Studebaker!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:09:43 PM »
DG,

Cool video :lol:

I am also in HB with my Turbo bikes, where in HB are you?  I am at Bolsa and Springdale.

John

Offline Bville701

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:11:01 PM »
Looks and sounds good. What was the final HP output?
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:19:48 PM »
DG,

I am also in HB with my Turbo bikes, where in HB are you?  I am at Bolsa and Springdale.

John

John, Scott's address by his name is old he is in the Iowa/Nebraska vicinity now,

Sum

-----------------------------------------------------------
Scott I talked to GH a while ago.  Sounds like you guys did good!!  Smoked his tires I hear  8-),  I need to call you at some point and get your thoughts again about a turbo for my truck.  I'm putting a new motor together now, or as soon as John gets the pistons to my machinist,

Sum

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:38:17 PM »
DG,

John

John, Scott's address by his name is old he is in the Iowa/Nebraska vicinity now,

Sum

-----------------------------------------------------------
Scott I talked to GH a while ago.  Sounds like you guys did good!!  Smoked his tires I hear  8-),  I need to call you at some point and get your thoughts again about a turbo for my truck.  I'm putting a new motor together now, or as soon as John gets the pistons to my machinist,

Sum

Sumner,

I now remember meeting Scoot at Bonneville last year, he was shootin alot of digital images and we spoke for a moment at the bend in the road.

Sumner,  why did your machinist order flat top pinto pistons for you? :mrgreen:

J

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:54:56 PM »
Sumner,  why did your machinist order flat top pinto pistons for you? :mrgreen:

J

Because he is into horses and knew those would be the hardest for you guys to make.  I'll call him tomorrow and see if the roads are open over Wolf Creek pass and maybe they came in.

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 12:12:29 AM »
Looks and sounds good. What was the final HP output?

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 09:33:58 AM »
Well, we knew it would run the target speed with 10psi of boost, so we set it for about 12psi and made 709whp and 750ft-lbs.   Remember, this is a mustang dyno, so if you are used to Dynojet numbers - add 15-20%.  At the crank this works out to ~ 885hp.

Yes, we had problems with tire spin even at 185mph on the dyno...   

Mr Noonan you have a good memory!!  that was me.   I lived near Warner and Goldenwest for about a year.  I moved back to Iowa in November, but I'll be back on the salt again for speedweek, and WOS hopefully.  It looks like Gary and his engine guy have figured out their valve guide issue, this could be his year...!  of course the record isn't enough, it's the hat that keeps him coming back...  like so many others!

-scott

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 09:52:55 AM »
That is a good video, I really enjoyed the White Dyno part.  Hope those weren't your good race tires on the other dyno...  :-o 

Scott, it only takes an online minute to update your profile and let us all know you've moved to the midwest....  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 10:03:46 AM »
gary tried pulling the "hey you ruined my good tires on the dyno" trick with me but I already saw they were old beaters before we started making pulls.  I tease him, tell him he's a "skinflint"  (his own term)  haha

OK, I changed my address info so if you live near me, say hello and if you need EFI tuning help - just let me know!!  Sumner, I'd make a trip out there whenever you want to do your EFI/turbo setup.  We were near you this fall, went through Arches park for a half day, holy cow the scenery was amazing!!  a 2-3 day trip is entirely within reason   :-D   just let me know when you're ready to do the EFI install and I am there,

-scott

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 11:14:14 AM »
.......... Sumner, I'd make a trip out there whenever you want to do your EFI/turbo setup.  We were near you this fall, went through Arches park for a half day, holy cow the scenery was amazing!!  a 2-3 day trip is entirely within reason   :-D   just let me know when you're ready to do the EFI install and I am there, -scott

Good to know you are doing well.  I'll run the new motor NA this spring and summer.  I need to get kent off my butt and finish the lakester and run it.  The change to EFI, turbo, 4L80E and Ford 9 inch will be next winter.  You don't want to come here then...........see the pictures taken yesterday.....

You guys come anytime, best time is April, May and Sept-Nov.  I can put you up and take you out......

......... this is about 15 miles straight west of my house,

Sum

Offline stratman59

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »
cool video love them studebakers
nice car good work guys

later
robbie

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 09:32:45 PM »
Did Gary expect to see those HP ratings, or was he looking for something else?

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 09:49:45 PM »
Did Gary expect to see those HP ratings, or was he looking for something else?

We weren't too concerned about actual numbers, we know from experience and logs that the car will hit it's number in this state of tune.  We've run it to 18psi in testing, though.   That'd be around 1200hp at the crank.  These aren't the right turbos for that kind of power on that many cubic inches...

what's good on this combo however, is the torque that's available from bottom to top, and the drivability is nice - no peaky powerband, the average power is a lot higher than a typical supercharged combo, and the intake temps stay below ambient temp for the entire run.   He likes this setup better than the old blower combo.  Or at least that's what he tells me   :-D

The car is a lot of fun to drive.  He takes it out on the street (yes, it's legal in Missouri!) frequently, I think Sumner has ridden shotgun in it...

-scott

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 10:00:51 PM »
Great stuff.  Just what you need when it is 10 degrees outside and foggy dreary.  Thanks for the video.
  Brian #7796