Author Topic: Foekema Symmetric Twostroke  (Read 33106 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Foekema Symmetric Twostroke
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »
I guess the roots blown Crosley with 2 intake valves and the radial exhaust at the bottom of the piston travel doesn't count.
I built it to test in a race boat provided by Jay Root and it made lots of power and a way lotta noise.
The APBA didn't like it. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 04:47:23 PM »
The APBA didn't like it.
I like it!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 05:16:08 PM »
The APBA didn't like it.
I like it!
I took a second crank case and turned it upside down to make a barrel like an Offy and machined the rods from aircraft landing gear linkage material.
That was 1962 and things have changed haven't they ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline LucF

• New folks
    • 50cc-racing
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »
Yes, most things have changed, but not the drive to search for new ways.
I hope that will never change.

Greetz,
Luc
Our 50cc Little Gizmo runs the 1/4 mile with standing start in less than 15 sec

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »
Well, that is certainly a relief ! :-D

Offline LucF

• New folks
    • 50cc-racing
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 06:49:26 AM »
On sunday March 16th at 20.00 hour I could ancoune that the first Foekema Symmetric Twostroke has twisted for the very first time. It is an aircooled 50cc Kreidler engine with 4 exhaustports and 2 exhaustpipes (each pipe with 2ports), 10 transfers en one 30mm rotary valve inlet system. It was de first time it has been started, much smoke of the oil which was inside the new cilinder. Now many details had to been adjusted in the coming period.

After the announing this new FST twostroke system on Saterday January 19th 2008 at 20.00h, every thing has been done to be the first one who realised a new working system. Before touching one peace of metal, I started to make many calculations, which cost about one month. This looks a little overdone, but I wanted to take no risk to realise an usefull system. And every thing during this time show to me that I was going the right direction. Ofcourse many people doubted if this new system would work. The only way to find out is to make a working prototype. I have to admit that Frits Overmars gave me the push to do it, otherwise I would have it only in my head, as he did for about 30 years. But now realising it, I do not regret it for one moment.

If it would fail, I lost 2 month work in prepearing my racing engines for the comming year. But now it seems to be a working system I have to change my plans. Two month ago I did write in an interview that 35hp on the backwheel is not very realistic for a 90cc, but now I will change my mind about that. Because in the mean time some changes in electronics could also have a very big influance.

After the announcing on Jan 19th, many replies I did receive and also some corresponding did appear on this subject.
Some people I did not speak for almost 40 years and may be this wil open new ways.

From many people I heard this system already exist, but not one proof on paper or one photo is available at this time. Most symmetric systems there were in the past were not 100% Time Area. So I take those talks till this moment not for real.
But the most important proof is "were is the system to day" I don't see it. Wasn't it not good enough.
The first sound I heard from the FST is not one which will disappear very soon.

The sound on the video is a little soft, in reallity it is not. The two pipe are almost 100% the same, even the bended part after the belly is the same. The difference in length is within 1 mm and can be corrected by shifting the pipe on the header. May be this can be done on the sound, because the human ear is very sensitive for small differences. http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=jtTc7sk8WS8  For more information http://fullspeed.to/50cc-racing

Regards,
Luc

Our 50cc Little Gizmo runs the 1/4 mile with standing start in less than 15 sec