Author Topic: cid vs number of cyldiners  (Read 21410 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: cid vs number of cyldiners
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2008, 12:09:14 PM »
"When you limit discussion, it is tuff to appreciate how right you might be until you can compare it to how wrong others can be.
To the never ending surprise of many, sometimes others can even be right." (me) :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2008, 01:28:12 PM »
Vega. GMC. Two Corvair Turbos and a 780 cfm Holley. Went 177 one way but ate a turbo doing it.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2008, 01:38:02 PM »
Vega. GMC. Two Corvair Turbos and a 780 cfm Holley. Went 177 one way but ate a turbo doing it.

Pretty impressive number for that technology!!  Next time don't skip breakfast and you won't have to be eating turbo's  8-) .

Actually I want to put a turbo/turbos on my truck and am just a little worried about one thing.  Which side is more likely to go, the compressor side or the turbine side??  I guess if it is the turbine side parts just go down the exhaust, but the other side might not be so pretty.

c ya,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2008, 03:42:18 PM »
Lack of proper lubrication is the turbo killer that is far more common than FOD. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2008, 03:43:44 PM »
I blew every Corvair turbo I that could find in local junkyards. It seemed to me that the turbine would go first, then the bearing, then the compressor. In short order. Small pieces of aluminum in the intake tract did in a few pistons. One turbine wheel found it's way out the exhaust pipe and did the job on Warner's hand when he picked it up. I believe we were overspeeding the Corvair units. FOD was not an issue

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2008, 03:47:02 PM »
I blew every Corvair turbo I that could find in local junkyards. It seemed to me that the turbine would go first, then the bearing, then the compressor. In short order. Small pieces of aluminum in the intake tract did in a few pistons. One turbine wheel found it's way out the exhaust pipe and did the job on Warner's hand when he picked it up. I believe we were overspeeding the Corvair units. FOD was not an issue

Thanks for that info,

Sum