Author Topic: cid vs number of cyldiners  (Read 21413 times)

bak189

Re: cid vs number of cyldiners
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »
Sorry....DW....I did try........approx. 3 weeks ago
I send a E-_mail to the M/C Rules Chair...........
no answer todate........just like in the past.......
no answer..................................................................

P.S.  It was a "nice" E-Mail I send.....just asked some questions that I would like to have cleared up.................

Oh, Well...........................................................................

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2008, 11:44:17 PM »
Not that this thread is off topic.  Just curious as to why no over head cam heads aren’t allowed in XO and XXO? Can’t be because they did not have them back in the day.  I have a 1926 Stutz OHC engine car that ran on the salt in 1926 with Frank Lockhart that I bought from AK miller, and also have seen both the Davis OHC heads for the flathead Ford from 1951 and the Wayne 12 port OHC head that he made for the GMC.  So what gives?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:47:51 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline desotoman

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2008, 01:30:34 PM »
Just curious as to why no over head cam heads aren’t allowed in XO and XXO?  So what gives?

Rumor had it that maybe 5 years ago, someone was building a 4 valve DOHC Indy style head for a Flathead ford. Question to ask. Would that head be vintage? Answer. NO. In the 2002 Rule book it was added OHC specialty cylinder heads not allowed in XF, XO, XXF or XXO engine classes.  At least that is what I recall.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

dwarner

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2008, 11:27:09 PM »
I can answer to the Wayne OHC head. Only one rough casting was made. The patterns disappeared to AZ in the 60's. It is thought that Don Ferguson Sr aquired them. I have never seen one OHC cam engine since the original left my father's shop before I was in high school.

DW

dwarner

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2008, 11:32:40 PM »
Bob,

Your problems with the motorcycle adminstration is well documented on this message board. As in every thing else, if you find no statisfaction with those you are dealing with move up the chain.

Again,

rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org

Jack,

You have used that line very often. Give it up, move on.

This has been fun.

See you on the salt,

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2008, 12:07:03 AM »
It's kinda like rape, you might as well lay back and enjoy it . :?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2008, 12:13:30 AM »
Dan

You are right the pattern is with Don , the head is AZ.

As for the OCH heads, don’t the rules that ban electronic fuel injection and variable timing via commuters make the heads even?  So why have a ban the heads when they were used in the early years?  So does this make four valve pushrod heads like the one Crower ran on the Nash legal?

It can’t be a cost issue.  In XXO you can run a fabricated head and to do a custom head is almost the cost of building a OHC head.

I am not arguing for OHC heads, but trying to understand the reasoning behind the rules. Like the rule banning the turbo in vintage. When it is documented a turbo pioneer ran a car on the salt in the early 50’s with a turbo.  Just ask Jim Miller.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline desotoman

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2008, 12:23:24 AM »
Just because there was one head or one person running a turbo, that does not make it the norm. You must remember this is Amateur racing, not F1.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

bak189

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2008, 12:39:50 AM »
So sorry, to upset you DW..............but your the one who indicated......fill out the form and send it in and your input will be considered................
I just again pointed out that todate this has not worked for me............................................................
My last E-Mail was to the M/C Rules Chairman...

Offline RichFox

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2008, 09:25:55 AM »

I am not arguing for OHC heads, but trying to understand the reasoning behind the rules. Like the rule banning the turbo in vintage. When it is documented a turbo pioneer ran a car on the salt in the early 50’s with a turbo.  Just ask Jim Miller.

Some guy ran a turbo GMC in XX/CC and XX/Alt in the '70s. Did OK until it was banned. He made the same arguement. Didn't get anywhere.  RF

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2008, 10:32:41 AM »
............................ Like the rule banning the turbo in vintage. When it is documented a turbo pioneer ran a car on the salt in the early 50’s with a turbo.  Just ask Jim Miller....................

I'd venture a guess that the 50's turbo setup was a draw thru carb set-up.  In my opinion there is no way of comparing that to a blow thru system with either EFI or today's blow thru carbs and the options of ice water intercoolers.

I love turbos, but can see the reasoning behind keeping them out of a class called "vintage",

Sum

Offline RichFox

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2008, 10:44:57 AM »
Mine was draw thru. Pretty much Corvair tech and they came from a junkyard Corvair. Paid $19 for one and $75 for the other. Had a lot of fun and they let me keep them as long as I ran it in the Vega. At the time I thought it was Junkyard Tech and that was what Hot Rods were about. Now I just like to complain

Offline GH

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »
Rich, what type of body did you have when you set the record @ 168 mph in 1980? Was the engine a GMC and was it roots blown or turbo charged? just wondering! Cya

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2008, 11:57:09 AM »
"If you are not a participant do you feel that qualifies you to bash those that do? I know, free speech and all that."

I'm sorry - I must have missed the entrance exam, the part where no proof of current membership = silence.

Or is it "non-member's comments are limited to agreeing with me"? That is, after all, the most frequent interpretation of free speech, so it must be valid.

This board is beginning to look like "Letters to the Editor"... of Pravda.

I don't think I'm going to learn anything here, so as a fair exchange I'll stop making constructive comments - because you might not agree with them.

Offline hitz

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »
  Rich,

The Junkyard Tech is alive and well in Anderson, Ca. Even the TecII ECU is second hand and 13 year old Technology. :| :roll:

Harv