Author Topic: cid vs number of cyldiners  (Read 21405 times)

dwarner

Re: cid vs number of cyldiners
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2008, 01:53:08 PM »
Well, there you go Rich. Not a legal XO engine w/Duggen head. OK to run in E/FR at that point.

There was a couple of guys from your area that ran a '53? Chev truck with a 250 and Sissel head, E/MP.
Engine not Vintage but kinda the same deal.

DW

Offline RichFox

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 02:34:03 PM »
Dan. The point was that the 248 with an Arias head was not a legal "E" engine so we used the 250 with the Duggen head to run in E/GMR. Bill wanted to run in an open class.

Online Stan Back

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 03:06:17 PM »
I'm lost.

Because it was a legal small dispacement XO motor (and maybe not competitive in XO), it could'nt run straight up in E because it still was a legal XO motor?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
Yes. You kind of have to go back in the thread to follow this deal, but at the time we(Bill Carlson and I) were told that a XO or XXO or XF or XXF legal motor could only run in those engine classes. If I wanted to build a 180 cid Studebaker six I would not be allowed to enter it in F/Alt with the 183 inch break. I would have to enter it in XO/Alt with a 325 inch class break. Since we could not run the 248 GMC in E class Bill chose to run a 250 late model Chevy so that he could be in E which was an open record at that time.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
I'm lost.

Because it was a legal small dispacement XO motor (and maybe not competitive in XO), it could'nt run straight up in E because it still was a legal XO motor?

Stan,

Now you understand.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

dwarner

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »
The 248 ci GMC is a X class engine. The 250 ci Chev, post 1959 block design, is not a vintage(X class) engine. Different engine families.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2008, 04:08:20 AM »
If this were parsed as a social trend, or a virus, the projection would be that in 20 years:
Every politically prominent person would have their own class (separated by color of car, which bobble-head doll is in the window, which station is on the radio).
Everyone else would run heads up together - pedal car, MIG17, convalescent walker, human cannonball, everything.

If I sense any tendency for rules to make sense, or even someone notice that they currently don't, I'll stop.

[/rant]

A guy from New York actually gets it.
Won't the So Cal brotherhood be surprised ?!
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2008, 09:10:05 AM »
There are other things a guy from New York could do with his time.

DW

Offline RichFox

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »
The 248 ci GMC is a X class engine. The 250 ci Chev, post 1959 block design, is not a vintage(X class) engine. Different engine families.

DW
And the 248 must remain (under the current rules interpertation) a X class engine unless installed in a Modified Sports or Mini Pickup

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2008, 09:59:14 AM »
The "rules" are the reason why I have not renewed my membership.

I'm afraid paying money for permission to bang my head against the wall is not my idea of progress.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 05:27:01 PM by panic »

dwarner

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2008, 12:18:54 PM »
Thats not it - its the negative comments re: rules. Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

www.scta-bni.org website has rule change forms you can download and fix your perception of what is wrong. All you have to be is a member of SCTA or BNI.

DW

bak189

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »
DW.....Rule change forms......." and fix your
perception of what is wrong"

Did that for many years with M/C rules.......did not work......in fact don't even get a answer......

But will keep on doing, who knows!....................

dwarner

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2008, 10:00:14 PM »
That was then, this is now. Different adminstration - give it a try.

DW

dwarner

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2008, 10:02:25 PM »
"The "rules" are the reason why I have not renewed my membership.

I'm afraid paying money for permission to bang my head against the wall is not my idea of progress"

If you are not a participant do you feel that qualifies you to bash those that do? I know, free speech and all that.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2008, 10:38:50 PM »
That was then, this is now. Different adminstration - give it a try.

DW
He is speaking principally of the MC interests that find it the same way, different day.
To paraphrase one of the principal rulers, "i don't have time for such foolishness."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"