Author Topic: cid vs number of cyldiners  (Read 21415 times)

Offline GH

Re: cid vs number of cyldiners
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 10:21:56 AM »
Sumner, that is what I am building the GMC 6 for. Using a turbo and efi, 311 ci, run it in XO/BGALT and XO/BGCC in my Stude.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 10:33:14 AM »
Sumner, that is what I am building the GMC 6 for. Using a turbo and efi, 311 ci, run it in XO/BGALT and XO/BGCC in my Stude.
I talked to Hooley yesterday and I think he said that either he or john had talked to you and that my new news was old news  :cry:.

I wouldn't be giving him too many speed secrets as if he gets his way he could be running XO/BGCC in a couple years  :-o.  I'm all for staying with the sbc's, but it's his car  8-) and his money  8-).  Hey I got an idea, when you switch to the 6 in '09 after you get your hat let's put your big block in Hooley's stude  :-D.  We don't want it just sitting out in some barn collecting mildew  :-P.

Did you get up north and do your dyno time yet with Scott??  Talk to you soon,

Sum

Offline GH

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 11:14:58 AM »
Sumner, check your email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
Re: cid vs number of cylinders
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »
Sumner, check your email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I don't have any........... no one loves me  :cry:, maybe the server threw yours out as junk mail  :evil:.

Try again or PM me on here,

Sum

Offline RichFox

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 01:34:14 PM »
Going for soft records huh? This should be pretty interesting. I always thought the intake manifold ony GMC was it's worst point. Fuel distributioin would have to be much better with any kind of port injection, even with the siamese ports. EFI will be much better than what I made, I think. Looking foward to seeing it run. 

Offline GH

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 03:51:43 PM »
Rich, if I could do photos, I would post some of the GMC. The intake is a log type using 3" OD stainless steel with runners 2" OD with 2 injectors per port with a 75 mm throttle body attached. Soft records, sounds like it, but one never knows, sure is a lot that can and will go wrong. After 7 trips to the salt I have increased speed from 207 to 234, many hours of work and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Sum we went to the chassis dyno on Monday, ran real good and Scott got to tune it in the upper range of rpm and boost. Drove home yesterday from Omaha, Nebraska in blowing snow.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 04:31:52 PM »
Rich, if I could do photos, I would post some of the GMC. .......................

e-mail them to me, and I'll post them ( http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Site%20E-mail%20address.html ).  I thought I had taken some when I was there, but I can't find them.

..............................Sum we went to the chassis dyno on Monday, ran real good and Scott got to tune it in the upper range of rpm and boost. Drove home yesterday from Omaha, Nebraska in blowing snow.

Sounds good, been snowing here also,

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2008, 11:43:25 PM »
A couple of questions:

1. In a vintage car class what would the engine class be for a 50 ford V-8 based motor running Overhead cams on a specialty head? Would this run heads up in the normal classes?

2. Are the rules now set up so that any block that now qualifies for vintage engine class is stuck in that class, and can only run in the vintage engine class?

3. If you use a french Flathead block as you motor base, then can you run heads up in the regular classes.

4. If you are running something on a vintage motor that makes it illegal in the vintage motor class, why does that make you illegal to run in the normal class. The motor can only be legal for one class or the other on a given setup.

Tom, Tom, Tom -

You can read the rulebook with the best of 'em. I would have thought that these were easy answers, all these responses are from the Vintage Engine section of the rulebook. No changes between 2007 and 2008.

1) "Overhead cam specialty cylinder heads are not allowed in the XF, XO, XXF, & XXO engine classes."

2) There is no restriction on using a vintage engine in other classes, examples would be over the 375ci top of XX class or an OHC head, etc.

3) "XF class consists of any production FORD/MERCURY, passenger car V-8 flathead engine, 1932 through 1953, up to 325 cid."

4) Same response as #2.

DW

Offline desotoman

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 01:38:16 AM »
A couple of questions:

2. Are the rules now set up so that any block that now qualifies for vintage engine class is stuck in that class, and can only run in the vintage engine class?

2) There is no restriction on using a vintage engine in other classes, examples would be over the 375ci top of XX class or an OHC head, etc.

DW

Dan,
  Thanks for the reply. Where I am confused is in the vintage car class with a vintage engine. I was always told if you turbo-ed your vintage motor, in a vintage car class you would have to run heads up in the regular engine class and not be in the vintage motor class. I have no problem with that.
   So I guess my question should be, if I have a 50 ford 8BA motor in my street roadster and it is turbocharged (which makes it illegal for vintage engines in the vintage car class) can I just run heads up in the regular E/BSR or D/BSR classes? Or do I have to run for Time Only? This is not about setting a record, but more about having a class to run in legally.

Thanks,
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

dwarner

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 08:10:07 AM »
See answer two above.

DW

Offline RichFox

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2008, 09:52:40 AM »
If " There is no restriction on using a vintage engine in other classes" how come we were not allowed to run a 12 port 248 in E/FMR?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 10:24:07 AM »
If " There is no restriction on using a vintage engine in other classes" how come we were not allowed to run a 12 port 248 in E/FMR?

Did you present that for inspection or just ask a tech inspector that might be a friend of the current record holder?  Not scta bashing, just trying to see how it came about.   :|  I could not find anything in the rules that prohibits vintage engines running in any class, only things that would take a vintage engine out of vintage.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »
Prior to actually spending money on building the motor I inquired of the "Powers that were" Seemed the prudent thing to do. As I remember I got answere from Dan and Tone amoung others. The project went ahead with a 250 late model Chevy and a Duggen head. The first question in impound was "I thought you were told you couldn't run in E/FR?" We then confirmed it was not a legal XO motor and all went well.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »
See answer two above.

DW

Thanks Dan.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 12:31:05 PM »
Rich, if I could do photos, I would post some of the GMC. The intake is a log type using 3" OD stainless steel with runners 2" OD with 2 injectors per port with a 75 mm throttle body attached. Soft records, sounds like it, but one never knows, sure is a lot that can and will go wrong. After 7 trips to the salt I have increased speed from 207 to 234, many hours of work and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Sum we went to the chassis dyno on Monday, ran real good and Scott got to tune it in the upper range of rpm and boost. Drove home yesterday from Omaha, Nebraska in blowing snow.

Here are 3 pictures Gary sent me,  Sum