Author Topic: cid vs number of cyldiners  (Read 21414 times)

Offline depdawg

• New folks
cid vs number of cyldiners
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:03:10 PM »
Hi guys,
lsr racers are my heros. Been to the salt and dry lakes many times, have a couple of pals that run, and I am thinking of doing a t with a inline 6 block but running only 4 clyds for class.  any thoughts on this idea.

Thansk, been reading your q and a for quite awhile, verrry interesting.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: cid vs number of cyldiners
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »
With so many DOHC. 4VPC, high performance motors available cheap, it seems like a lot of extra work.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »
I agree with Jack and add that de-stroking the motor and keeping it a 6 would also be better than running only 4
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline depdawg

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 09:19:37 PM »
I thought of that using a late model motor, and yep proably a bit bit morehi revving, not not as much weight to help keep it down.  this is for fun, not the 2 club, just a first round of gotta run the line.

Offline Geo

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »
So... I should remove 8 pistons from the V12 and run in the 2 liter class...  my head is starting to hurt.  I'm going for a beer!  Anyone else while I'm up?

Geo

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 09:46:44 AM »
If you really want to run it as a four, go for it. But if your just running for fun, why not run it as a six and save the headachs?

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 11:09:26 AM »
and costs.

DW

Offline depdawg

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance, it'll run as a six, now how about a small blower, as long as wea are thinking about fun, just a small one.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
I have an Eaton off a Super Coup

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »
Well, let's get some more information.

What class you thinking of running?

What kind of inline are you starting with?

Are you planning on having a crank fabricated for 180 degree throws, or running 120 degree throws?

If you're having the crank built, you'll need a custom cam and you'll need to come up with a distributor.

I love inline Jimmy's, Chevy Stovebolts and 4.9 Fords, and a T with an inline would be a very cool looking combination.  But while none of what you suggest is insurmountable, for the extra cost of getting this to run right, I think your money would be better spent buying a couple of extra pistons and destroking the six, if that works for the class you want to run in.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »
Last I heard, if you destroke or depiston a GMC or 261 type Chevy or other XO legal motor to make class, you can't. Your still stuck in XO with it's 325 cid break. To bad the X classes arn't set up like the other classes with the normal  C D E and F cubic inch breaks.

Offline depdawg

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 07:38:52 PM »
I am thinking to run modified roadster, with a  55 or 56 chevy 6. so the engine cid should be below the 260 cu in for e class, I believe it would be XO class. I dont have  a current rule book, has the cid changed for E ?

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 08:49:11 PM »
XO and E class are two different classes.  In XO you can run up to 325 cubic inches and E class you can run 3.015L to 4.276L.  Not to discourage you but there is a modified roadster that runs that class with an Indy IRL motor in the fuel class and is currently in F class I think, and I sold one of my Indy motors to a guy near me that is building one for the gas class and will eventually run in fuel as well..  I would build it as an XO car and put a GMC 302 punched out to a 322 CI. There is no replacement for displacement.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:06:41 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline RichFox

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 10:10:01 AM »
With E class being 260 inches you would think a 235 could be made to work in the class. No way, you will be required to run the 235 in XO which has a 325 inch break. I was told that adding C,D,E, and F cubic inch breaks to the XF and XO classifacations would result in to many new classes. After that we got the "Classic" category, Rear Engine Modified Roadsters, The Flathead V4 classes, Fuel sports cars, and maybe more that I didn't notice.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »
With E class being 260 inches you would think a 235 could be made to work in the class. No way, you will be required to run the 235 in XO which has a 325 inch break. I was told that adding C,D,E, and F cubic inch breaks to the XF and XO classifications would result in to many new classes. After that we got the "Classic" category, Rear Engine Modified Roadsters, The Flathead V4 classes, Fuel sports cars, and maybe more that I didn't notice.

Rich if you wanted couldn't you run the 235 in E as long as you didn't want to run vintage??  Then you could also run a turbo, FI and maybe some other things that aren't allowed in vintage.  Of course there are way better E motors to start with if you were going to do that than a 235.

c ya,

Sum