Author Topic: BATTERY BOX  (Read 4926 times)

Offline dick elliott

BATTERY BOX
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:54:47 PM »
Is a battery box required when the battery is located in the drivers compartment, if the battery is a sealed battery? Thanks.
Its better to be a has been, than a never was.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: BATTERY BOX
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 10:49:36 PM »
Sorry Dick but as far as I can tell per rule 3.K You must put the battery in a sealed box. Even a dry cell....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:52:41 PM »
 My Optima battery is behind my seat in my roadster. There has never been any coments that this is a problem. This is an open car so I am not sure about a closed car being different.  Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 11:02:09 PM »
Straight from the SCTA rulebook '07.  For cars    Left click on picture.
Sheri Buchta
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:05:18 PM by sheribuchta »

Offline dick elliott

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 11:03:46 PM »
Thanks guys! Think I'll just put it in a box to be sure.
Its better to be a has been, than a never was.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 11:38:22 PM »
Pure lead AGM design batteries (Optima design / dry) by defination are sealed in an acid tight box.  Nothing can leak out, there is no liquid to spill.  We have run one for 15 or so years without a problem.   :-D

Trivia... MSA designed and built the equipment for Gates to produce them.   8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 12:29:07 AM »
...............We have run one for 15 or so years without a problem.   :-D.......   8-)

Mine has lasted about 7 years now in my truck and I thought that was good.  Looks like it still has another 8 years at least in it  8-),

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »
...............We have run one for 15 or so years without a problem.   :-D.......   8-)

Mine has lasted about 7 years now in my truck and I thought that was good.  Looks like it still has another 8 years at least in it  8-),

Sum

OK I wish they lasted that long, Sum, ya doing a Jon on me...  :-P what I really meant was we have run sealed batteries for more than 15 years (since they were prototypes) without a problem in inspection.  I think we took a sawed in two one the first year to show nothing comes out, after that we didn't need a box and relocated battery to the nose.  8-)
Stainless

Offline willieworld

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 09:27:15 AM »
will you guys are way to smart for me  willie buchta
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 05:50:02 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 10:43:26 AM »
do yourself a favor and put the battery in the trunk (ever been hit up side the head with a 60 lb battery )  battery in trunk as close to the rear bumper will take weight off the front wheels and put weight on the rear wheels thats a good thing  got to go headed to the scta banquet 7 hour drive   hope to see you all there  willie buchta

Hey willie he is planning ahead....when the car spins the battery is in the rear...............besides I think you had better read up on CP an CG........

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville%20-%20LSR%20Thoughts-4.html

..........................The typical reaction if you have driven or gotten stuck in snow is to throw all that weight in the trunk.  Works in the snow, but not the salt.  We started to do all of that the second year with the Stude, luckily we didn't have much weight at our disposal at the time  :-).

have fun at the banquet,

Sum
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:46:38 AM by Sumner »

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 07:34:11 PM »
I also run an Optima in my Roadster, mounted behind and to the right on the seat. It passed Tech @ El Mirage a number of times, but at Bonneville last year the SCTA Inspector said I needed it in a box because it was in the drivers compartment. He said he would let it pass as long as I had it in a box by the Sept. El Mirage. Made a box out of 3/16 steel, hey, good as ballast.

One less thing to worry about, and simple enough to do.

Tom

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »
What's a left click?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 02:44:33 PM »
Stainless,

Isn't it interesting how different Inspectors look for different things. The guy that did my car @ Bonneville and said I needed a battery box had previously passed the car @ ElMo.

I do appreciate everything the Inspectors notice. Afterall, they are looking to save our skins,  and messy cleanups.

At first I liked to get the same Inspector since they already knew the car. Now I look forward to getting new guys that might see something not mentioned before. Every comment made be an Inspector, even those minor items just to make things better, have been incorporated. Keeps me busy during the Winter months!

Tom

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 09:39:48 PM »
I think we have had most of them in the last 23 or so years look at the Bockscar.  The young man that inspected it this year was a new inspector and wanted to see everything.  He did a very good and thorough job.  Afterwards when he picked up the log book to look at it and sign he said he realized why he didn't find anything wrong.  It was also the first inspection in a long time that only required 1 inspector.   :|
As always, we aways appreciate a really good inspection...  :-D and everyone should, that is the part of all this that is for our own good!
Stainless