Author Topic: Safety wire question  (Read 12199 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Safety wire question
« on: January 16, 2008, 09:48:39 PM »
I was reading the ECTA rules about safety wiring the engine and need a clarification. My engine has an internal oil filter that is accessed through a plate on the side of the engine. The plate is held on by three flush allen socket screws. Does this plate need to be safety wired? If so, can the screws be covered by a keeper plate that is safety wired? Normally I would just try to redesign the plate with bolts that can be drilled for safety wire, but on my bike the front bottom flush screw sets right against the frame.
The plate can be see on the bottom right side of the engine in the pic below.

Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Safety wire question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 01:17:38 AM »
what the heck...that looks like a fricken beemer motor... who in there right mind would race a beemer?
kent

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:07:52 AM »
what the heck...that looks like a fricken beemer motor... who in there right mind would race a beemer?
kent

Hmmm... I seem to remember a yellow Penske truck that made more runs than a silver and blue streamliner last year :-D :-D :-D

BTW, who's that good lookin guy on the left? LOL
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:58:08 PM by Rchop »
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:10:13 AM »
When was the last time you saw an oil filter spin off a bike or a car?   :?

RC, looks like you have an engine cover, not an oil filter... Don't tell them and they won't know... stay away from the deep end, there are already a lot of folks gone off there...  :roll: (That was my attempt to write like Jack, how did I do?)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:39:13 AM »
When was the last time you saw an oil filter spin off a bike or a car?   :?

RC, looks like you have an engine cover, not an oil filter... Don't tell them and they won't know... stay away from the deep end, there are already a lot of folks gone off there...  :roll: (That was my attempt to write like Jack, how did I do?)

LOL. you almost had me fooled there!
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:51:40 AM »
Great looking bike.I used to have a BMW repair shop and road race a beemer.If I can ever help you with any thing feel free to ask.My road racer was pretty fast. Wish I knew as much about Busa's as I do BMW's.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »
Wish I knew as much about Busa's as I do BMW's.

Fred, busas are easy, Suzuki did 90% of the performance work, just need to be careful that the 10% you plan to improve doesn't decrease HP or aero...  :roll:
Stainless

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:16:06 AM »
Thanks Fred, I'm sure I will take you up on your offer sometime.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 12:28:34 PM »
oil filters absolutely spin off... a racer died at Willow springs a few years ago when his filter came off in turn 8... i have had several filters blow the coining out from 2 much pressure...they wont take more than 80psi

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:41:15 PM »
And there was the time that I was on the return run at Bonneville, after having changed the oil in impound.  I (evidently) didn't tighten the filter enough, and when I was about halfway down the course, on the nitrous button, the loose filter spun part way off, allowing the oil to go away.  About five-ten seconds is how long the engine lasted after that.  If I had had safety wire on the filter the cannister might still have been loose -- but most likely wouldn't have worked so loose that the oil got out quickly.

I now vote for wired oil filters each and every time.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:09:16 PM »
Hey S.S.S., I'll say it again.  RUN ONLY SYNTHETIC OIL.  I too had a spin on filter gasket blow out at about 225mph with my lead footed girl friend driving and dumped about 4 quarts right onto the headers.  And NO FIRE.  It was Amsoil Synthetic, and when I Googled flash points of various oils I found it was like 620 degrees F.  Some mineral oils were under 400 so I'll go with the extra margin of safety thank you very much.

I guess having an "oil pressure light" wired to your ignition switch/NOS switch just might be an extra layer of complication worth having.

Keep the oily side down,

Jim

2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »
And there was the time that I was on the return run at Bonneville, after having changed the oil in impound.  I (evidently) didn't tighten the filter enough, and when I was about halfway down the course, on the nitrous button, the loose filter spun part way off, allowing the oil to go away.  About five-ten seconds is how long the engine lasted after that.  If I had had safety wire on the filter the cannister might still have been loose -- but most likely wouldn't have worked so loose that the oil got out quickly.

I now vote for wired oil filters each and every time.

Slim, I didn't know you were mechanically inclined enough to change your own oil...  :roll:  Now I know you are mechanically reclined...  :-D
Stainless

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
These are all great responses and thanks, but my original question still goes un-answered. I don't have a spin on oil filter. My cartridge type filter sets inside the engine behind this plate. Will this plate be considered an engine access plate or will it be considered differently during tech inspection?
Perhaps contact info for an ECTA tech inspector would help.

Thanks,
Randy
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »
Now that we have all had some fun, PM Narider, I think Todd is an ECTA inspector, but the rule was written for external filters.
Stainless

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 02:56:32 PM »
Now that we have all had some fun, PM Narider, I think Todd is an ECTA inspector, but the rule was written for external filters.

Thanks
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc