Author Topic: Fire Bottle  (Read 2214 times)

Offline bharmon77

Fire Bottle
« on: January 16, 2008, 01:16:26 PM »
I bought a "Fire Bottle" brand fire bottle for my lakester from Jegs and their catalog specified it to be Halon 1211, when I recieved it it was filled with FE-36. Can anyone tell me if FE-36 is an acceptable Halon sustitute for closed cockpit cars as the rule book states?

BHarmon

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Fire Bottle
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:25:05 PM »
I think Roy Creel is the fire guy...email him at the SCTA
kent

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:34:58 PM »
From the 2008 rulebook, updated fire paragraph:

3.Q   FIRE EXTINGUISHING SYSTEMS:
All cars and enclosed motorcycles shall have a minimum of one driver-controlled fire extinguishing system using a minimum of 5 lbs. of extinguishing agent designed and applied to function as driver protection.
Approved agents include Halon 1301, Halon 1211, DuPont FE36, and certain AFFF systems including Cold Fire 302, ESS Foam, Firefox Gem Foam or other Halon replacement certified by the manufacturer for use in a confined space. Dry chemical and CO2 may be used in the engine compartment only. The application and installation shall be in accord with the manufacturer’s recommendations and consistent with the size and shape of the driver’s compartment. The discharge rate should be designed to allow sufficient protection for the time it will take the car to stop from speed.

DW

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:17:31 PM »
That's not surprising that you didn't get Halon. It's being phased out world wide. SFI Foundation standards no longer certify Halon. Safety Systems (Firebottle) uses FE36 in their units. Halon is still available, but the clock is ticking.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »
Thank you for the responses, I am still working with last years rule book. I will use as is!

BHarmon