Author Topic: Aluminum Body..........  (Read 20011 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Aluminum Body..........
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2009, 03:55:31 PM »
Are we going to get to see you run this year? I sure hope so.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2009, 04:45:28 PM »
Are we going to get to see you run this year? I sure hope so.

Fred I hope so, but I'm not promising anything yet.  Are you coming by this way again?  We hope so :-D.

Sum

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2009, 06:29:45 PM »
Sum, we are planning leaving here Wed the 5th, want to make Friday tech.We will have to see if  we will be able to stop and visit. Will you still be around on Thurs the 6th? Or are you going to make the thurs tech.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2009, 08:43:30 PM »
Sum, we are planning leaving here Wed the 5th, want to make Friday tech.We will have to see if  we will be able to stop and visit. Will you still be around on Thurs the 6th? Or are you going to make the thurs tech.

Fred

Right now I think we are drving up on Thurs. and do the pit setup and hopefully tech, at least for the stude,

Sum

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2009, 09:28:23 PM »
................. I think it is more the Indian than the Arrow. Try and find what works best for you. I have all the trick gas welding supplies and still do better with the TIG............. Doug Odom in big ditch
Great advice.  I'm just getting the hang of the tig, so I'm going to stick with it unless I end up having real problems.
c ya,
Sum
I learnt to Tig , so I could do the body on our tank.........thinking it would be a whole lot better. The few remnants of sanity I had went and hid. After years of welding filthy ,feeble steel on old car panels with the Mig the one talent I did have was managing heat in thin plate....after having a bash ( excuse me) with a Mig set up for Al I decided to go and get all the necessarys to set my welder up for aluminium. The one huge advantage of the Mig is it can fill gaps, if you have a blow out( and welding a fifty year old al wing-tank there's a good chance there will be some) it is possible to fight your way back, if you're using the Tig you need to stitch something in to fill any sort of sizeable gap.

The other plus is the expendables( tips, etc) are cheaper for the Mig....and manifold building is a breeze with the Mig...I wouldn't stake my life on the strength of these welds but for the stuff I've mentioned it really ain't critical .
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.