Author Topic: American Jaguar  (Read 19557 times)

Offline Geo

American Jaguar
« on: January 13, 2008, 09:16:45 PM »
Hi everyone,

Having owned many different types of cars over the years racing in different types of events and I have returned to the Jaguars I love and after a run at the best concours Jaguar I am moving back to racing.  Here is a photo of my JCNA regional class champion, be patient as it may take a moment to load. 

<Javascript:openWindow('imageview.php?Vpicurl=http://www.jcna.com/images/library/1760561894595.jpg&Vpost=246&Vref=JCNA',420+170,650+50)>

I have a sister coupe and I will post some photos soon, that I and a friend helping me, will be running in the street class to get my speed license and a feel for the event.  I think we can get into the 130 mph club.  I need accurate numbers to put into the formulas Sumner has posted, thanks Sum, to determine the HP needed on the motor we are building for 2009.  As Poo would say, it will have a Jagular motor not a Hefalump motor.

I feel as if I am a part of the forum due to the lurking I have been doing for the past few months.  You gladly share information and jump in to help if needed.  I hope to add to the insight and knowledge of LSR as time goes by.  While my XJS will not be as radical as the Aussies car, at least to start!  I do plan to go fast.

As a newbie I have a few questions.  How do you measure height?  Does any one have a rule book from the past few years I could get my filthy hands on, well some times they are clean.  I have been reading everything on the various websites, lots of fantastic cars and workmanship.  I am looking forward to meeting you in August and sharing an English beer.

Well, enough of this fun… It’s back to painting the ceilings!

Geo  :roll:

Offline Lynchy

Re: American Jaguar
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:55:11 PM »
Geo

While my XJS will not be as radical as the Aussies car, at least to start!  I do plan to go fast.
As Poo would say, it will have a Jagular motor not a Hefalump motor.

We'll take that as a compliment! Just to clarify though. The Aussie Shaguar will initially be fitted with a Ford Cleveland (the Heffalump motor) but will eventually find itself back with a Jagular V12. We haven't posted here for a while as we have been posting progress on "our" DLRA website.

http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=377

The car won't be running this year in Australia though as it isn't yet finished - maybe in 08????? Work is still going on though. Once the car is running, work will commence on building up a replacement motor. The replacement is likely to be a 6.0 litre V12 with "flat" heads and lowered comp ratio to work with twin Turbo's/Superchargers. Too early to tell just yet, it may even end up natural??? We've got 3 V12's to play with since 2 spare cars were purchased and the gearbox is most likely a 6 speed overdrive box. Depending on final power output and rev ranges will determine diff ratio

So tell us about your XJS....Year, colour etc. Motor, gearbox, diff????? I can help you with numbers to punch into calculators for the stock XJS they aren't hard to find. Harder to calculate when you factor in a roof chop, massive lowering and aero changes that reduce Cd though.

Have fun with it anyway, they are a nice shape to play with. The rear end looks great with a couple of big tyres under it but the rear guards cause problems if you lower it too intensely........

Lynchy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:08:12 PM »
It's good to see another aspiring Brit car competitor out there. 

A. A. Milne, the Union Jack and a pint of bitter when we're done?  Sir Malcolm would be proud.

I'll fire up my Lucas refrigerator and warm up the beer.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:18:32 PM »
I sort of hate to admit it but i've been thinking of selling my 1971 Falcon and buying a Mini.... I haven't come out to my car buddies yet but I reckon it would be a fun car. I've always had an eye out for a Sunbeam Tiger though, now there's a fun car with a bit of American cred!

A 928 Porsche would also seem to be a good choice as they seem to be almost worthless these days.

Lynchy

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 06:28:50 PM »
car in question:

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Geo

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 10:35:04 PM »
Thanks Hotnuts!  I just got home and found the photos of the '95 Jade Green convertible show car to resize and post directly.  Now I can concentrate on other things.  I will post photos of the Black coupe after I take some photos.  This weekend seems like good shooting weather... 10 degrees and the possibility of snow.  I also have a '76 coupe that will be an everyday driver.  Perhaps become the push vehicle.

Lynchy, I am fascinated by the story of the Aussie Jaguar XJS.  Love the height!  The chop and channel job have been done well.  I do wonder if perhaps the cage is to keep Big Gaz safe on those nights with the full moon.  When do you think the Shaguar will be a roller?  You must be close.

Milwaukee, if you get fire near the Lucas refrig the beer will be too cold!  Just let it sit there and all will be well.  Be sure it leaks a bit of oil.  By the way a true Lucas refig will smoke from the electrics.  That may have confused you into thinking it was fired up.

I plan to run the '94 XJS black coupe in street this year to get licensed and into the 130 club (fingers crossed).  It will have all the suspension rebuilt and brakes gone through.  I have spare subassemblies to work on and then swap into the car.  The normal new hoses and fluids one would put on a car just purchased with no prior history.  A proper setting of the tune.  New tires and a roll cage should make it safe at speed.  The factory brochures state 161 mph on premium gas.  The most I have seen is 145 at Road Atlanta, GA during a new car ride and drive while I was working at the dealership.

It's a 6.0 V12 with 4 speed auto, 3.54 gear, leather interior and Air Conditioning.  Should be cool in the staging lanes.  Only room for a few, but you are welcome to sit and chat while staying out of the heat.

Over the winter plans are to build a motor and install a 5 speed manual gearbox.  Get some proper LSR tires and wheels.  After that who knows.  I like the idea of an intake enhanced V12.

But we will see what happens.  I have much to learn and many decisions to make as far as classes go.  First is safety.  Then some speed which, in the second year should get most of the cost out of the way, ha ha.  Before we really go crazy!   I must remember to dyno it with AC on and with AC off!

All the best, Geo

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:58:59 PM »
Geo

Nice car!

Lynchy, I am fascinated by the story of the Aussie Jaguar XJS.  Love the height!  The chop and channel job have been done well.  I do wonder if perhaps the cage is to keep Big Gaz safe on those nights with the full moon.  When do you think the Shaguar will be a roller?  You must be close.

The Jag could be a roller very shortly. The rear end is ready to bolt in but the front end is waiting on custom billet hubs. The front hubs had to be custom made as the originals did not allow bigger wheel studs. I heard that they had been completed just the other day and they should arrive very shortly if they haven't already. Once they arrive we will get both the front and rear in and see how she sits with the right wheels and tyres on. Then we can get a driveshaft made up. By the way, if you don't follow the DLRA build site, Gaz was in the right place at the right time and was given a push car.

It seems right to use a Range Rover as a push car doesn't it? You can also see the 2 parts cars next to the RR - nice colour! Notice the unusual number of dooors on the Rangey? Should end up a good crew vehicle. I willl be posting more info as it happpens, there's not a lot going on at the moment though.

Lynchy

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 06:24:14 PM »
 Geo, the pic did not need to be resized.

If a pic starts with "http://" all you need to do is click the insert image button and paste the pic address in between the {img}{/img} brackets.

;)
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Geo

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 07:22:57 PM »
I'm finally getting the hang of posting here.  So finally a few photos today after the snow melted off the tarp.  We are building new suspension sub-frames inside where it's warm.  We've managed to keep her ladyship upstairs so she would not see the mess.. um, engineering work.  This leaves the car mobile except for the day it will take to switch them out.  You never know when you might have to run to the store for a beer resupply.   And will be sending the car off to the paint shop for a stripe!  I hear one will add 5 mph! 

As soon as the weather warms to "no shiver without heavy coat" we will be installing a roll cage.  I did look at the interior and find there is not going to be as much shoulder room as I would like.  Your thoughts on what is good placement for the vertical down bars on the hoop next to your shoulder, measured from your shoulder.  Are bends allowed in the front down tubes?

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 06:29:28 PM »
Geo

Our down bars are placed just behind the "B" pillar:

The front legs attach to the centre hoop and have a bend near the "A" pillar and then go straight to the floor. There is a fair amount of bracing that is built in as well though. We are using the standard steering column but it will be slightly offset to the left (remember RH Drive in Aussie) to allow some hand-in-glove room with the front down tube.

Shoulder wise there is no problem, we are positioning our seat where we want it but we lose some room with the much taller and slightly wider trans tunnel. Gary and I are both pretty big (I'm 6'4" and 110kgs) and we both fit OK and can still get in and out without too many problems - getting out is easier, although less elegant, than in.

I'll be heading over to the car this weekend, so might have some new pics soon. I've been told the front hubs have arrived and so it might be possible to put some wheels on.....

Lynchy

Offline Geo

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 11:04:53 PM »
In the spirit of all things British that have been posted recently I have an update on the Jag.  For months we have been gathering bits and reading the rule book and comments posted as we dive in.

Once again the thunder storms have knocked out power for the evening stopping work.  Good thing I have a UPS on the computer.  If it rains any more I will expect to see the animals going by two by two. Come to think of it there are two Jaguars in the driveway now!

We have removed the interior except for the dash and door panels along with items not needed like wipers, washers, etc.  Man, the stack of removed parts is rather large!  We have filled all the holes in the firewalls.  They are welded up and the roll bar is next.  Suspension work has begun and a check on the drive train is next.  Next week it's off to paint.  I'm finally seeing the check list getting shorter rather than longer.  Pictures after paint!

Anyone have a source for a large window type net to go in the door opening?

Geo

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 02:05:13 AM »
  geo

DJ SAFETY built ours, we made a pattern of the door opening and sent it to him but we didnt mark the top and the information was written parallel to the front. When it arrived " very promply" it didn't fit. He made a new one at no extra charge and no prompting from us. Great guy.
   www.djsafety.com

JL222
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:07:22 AM by jl222 »

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 08:18:50 AM »
Geo,
  If you need another pair of hands, give me a call. But I seem to have misplaced my Whitworth tools. Also have a collection of Lucas smoke....

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 08:56:57 AM »
Geo,
  If you need another pair of hands, give me a call. But I seem to have misplaced my Whitworth tools. Also have a collection of Lucas smoke....
Sam

brings to mind the scene in the life of Brian..."are they wagging me"....

Once again the thunder storms have knocked out power for the evening stopping work.  Good thing I have a UPS on the computer.  If it rains any more I will expect to see the animals going by two by two. Come to think of it there are two Jaguars in the driveway now!
....I'd be looking less at the weather and more at the possibility that something has crawled or leaked out of that Jag and spooked the electricity in your house.

.....now, despite my levity and all else that would make you people think that I don't like Ol' William Lyons' cars I do have a soft spot for them...and as Lynchy and Gary have shown you can make a seriously hell-lookin' salt purpose XJS....Go for it Geo am watching with interest.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 01:27:24 PM »
I had an '85 XJS for a number of years and loved it-- quiet, smooth, and comfortable-- a perfect high- speed cruiser and a nice body style. That V12 is like an electric motor. Actually the XJS automatic transmission is a GM automatic that responds to the usual hot rodding tricks. There are a few companies that make Chevy conversion kits; even a big block Chevy fits without butchering. A friend here in Tucson has an XJs with a SBC and he is pleased with it.
Some time ago I was in the UK on business and happened to be at a company a few doors down from Lister. On a whim I walked over and introduced myself; even though it was after hours they showed me around their shop and couldn't have been nicer. They even showed me an incomplete car (stored upstairs under a cover) that they said was an LSR project. I wonder what ever happened to it? They speciallized in installing a bored & stroked Jag V12 in an XJS. Good luck with your project
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ