Author Topic: New Member - Interested in running '03 Mercury Marauder??  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Glenn Ford

• New folks
New Member - Interested in running '03 Mercury Marauder??
« on: January 13, 2008, 01:00:25 PM »

All:

I own a 2003 Merucry Marauder which has been set-up for the drags and runs in the 11.9s, but is still highly streetable.  It has a Trilogy SC and runs 460 HP on a race tune.  The car has many performance and suspension mods and can run over 160 mph.  I do not what to install a roll bar so I guess I am restricted to under 135 mph for a timed run only.  I believe I would run in Super Street or /GSS with a 'D' engine (281 cc).  Any class suggestions? 

My concern is the tires and wheels. The OEM wheels are 18" forged aluminum.  The five wheel spokes are welded on the inside of the wheel hub.  I can not go to new tires and steel wheels for several reasons.  Can I use these OEM wheels and do I need 1/2' studs and some type of 1/4" washer?

Also, do I need a 5 point seat belt to run under 135 mph?

The entire event looks like alot of fun, but the costs to meet the rules does seem high especially for a relatively new street/strip car.  Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn Ford

Randy Williams

Re: New Member - Interested in running '03 Mercury Marauder??
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 02:52:25 PM »
Glenn,
     the  D/BGSS record is 152+ and the D/BFSS record is 185+.To run in those classes you will need to have all the safety gear because the records are above the 135MPH limit. Since you do not have or plan to install the proper safety equipment you are stuck to Time Only  which as you stated has a 135 MPH limit. The stock seat belts will be fine for T/O. Your wheels "should" be fine,  but contact the ECTA for for more info.

In your last sentence you stated the costs seem high to add all the safety gear to a late model car. Glenn I'm not being rude here but what is you life worth?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 03:43:15 PM »
You should contact Joe Timney as they have made some changes in the ECTA rule book in the past few weeks. :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glenn Ford

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 06:10:34 PM »
Yes, I agree one must be safe and I understand the need for safety.  I have NHRA safety rules when running at the track.  I believe I will just run for TO in May and get some exposure to the event.  Perhaps next year I can get together the money to run 160+ safely.   These cars are quite fast for a heavy 4-door sedans.  Many easily go 140-150 with modest mods.

The World Record setting Trilogy Mercury Marauder drag race car (10.3 sec - 1/4 mile) will be there in May to take a run at the LS record.  This is an awesome maxed out racer.  The car will then go to the Bonneville salt flats for the World Speed record for its class.

Thanks again for the response.  Looking forward to attending the event in May.

Glenn
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 06:15:16 PM by Glenn Ford »

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:22:38 PM »
Glenn -
Don't know what's available for this body, but you might want to look into a bolt-in 6 point.  As long as you use adequate floor plates, it will meet our requirements and you won't have to chop up the car permanently.

As I must, let me suggest that you volunteer for the April meet while you're there.  It's a ton of fun, you'll get to meet all the competitors, and you'll be helping us out.  We are a completely volunteer organization, so no vols=no racing.  Several of us both volunteer and race, and it works OK, unless you want to get in as many runs as possible.

Dan Stokes
Volunteer Coordinator, ECTA
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Glenn Ford

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 09:01:38 PM »

Dan:

Thanks for the response.  I will probably try to get familiar first to ECTA before volunteering.  But, you will have a bunch of Marauders in May. 

In the first post, do you think my OEM forged, alloy aluminum welded wheels will pass tech up to 150.  Going to any kind of 18" steel wheels at 8" and 10" widths would be very difficult.  I do not know of any one who even makes this size.

Thanks,

Glenn

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 04:00:03 PM »
Not real familiar with the Mercury's but since they come with a supercharger it looks like the vehicle will run in the Production Supercharged class at a SCTI-BNI event. The records for the 4.6 liter engine is over 256 mph. "D" would be 297mph and C over 372" engine is 213. Hopefully they are using a "C" which may be attainable as the other may be a little tough...Have Fun-Go Fast and Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro