Author Topic: Roll Cage questions/ruling modified mini-pickup  (Read 4233 times)

Offline wolcottjl

Roll Cage questions/ruling modified mini-pickup
« on: January 13, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »
Who could I send pictures and questions to for a rulling on my cage for a modified mini-pickup to run at Boneville?  Cage was setup for Maxton and Drag Racing. 
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

dwarner

Re: Roll Cage questions/ruling modified mini-pickup
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 01:09:06 PM »
rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org

Give it a try.

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »
Don't forget to include tubing info and mounting info when you send pictures...  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 08:07:23 PM »
Thanks,

It's the mounting info I have questions on as well as gussets.    Tubing is 1 3/4 .134 DOM, 6 point cage allready installed.
Joel Wolcott

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Bolted correctly or welded to the frame would be nice if it has one. I discourage sandwich plates on floorboards in vehicle with frames. Go thru the floorboards and weld or bolt it to brackes welded to the frame. 

You will notice in the book that gussets are normally used for shoulder bar type systems with a head cage attached. Full length bars to the frame are the strongest but must be built to keep from collapsing from any angle. Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:22:52 PM »
Maybe people here can offer advice first.  Here is my problem.  The truck is a unibody (VW).  The person who built the cage was concerned about the strength of the floorpan in the cab and the bed.  So he ran a tube across the bed of the truck at the wheel wells and tied it into the rear subframe with a plate welded to the subframe.  This sounds like it might be good to go.  The question here is the bars are in an X shape.  Some people have concerns that in the type of crash you might have at Bonneville an X shape is not the best.  In the cab he ran a bar along the sill and across the rear of the truck.  The tubes along the sill are through the body.  My problem is in reading the rule book I need plates.  I don't have room to install the plates in a normal position.  So my questions are these. 

Should I fab up a frame to tie in the rear sub-frame to the front so that I dont have to rip out the cage?

Should I just install a second rear hoop just inside the sill bar with room for a plate and tie it to the existing hoop with some cross bars and help to meet the new rule about side helmet movement - Flat bar on the side between the hoops with padding.  Then put in a front hoop and tie it all together?

Would plates installed on the front of the bar through the front of the cab work even if they are not flat on the cab floor.  Instal a sub piece of tubing just inside where the rear hoop meets the sill tube? 

Attaching pictures.  You can't see the bar in the bed because of the angle, this is the best pic I have at the moment.

Joel Wolcott

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:10:09 AM »
You are so in luck!!

The person on the other end of rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org runs the same truck as you.

DW

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 01:19:18 AM »
You are so in luck!!

The person on the other end of rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org runs the same truck as you.

DW

Good - Maybe he can help me with the questions since he would be familiar with the design of this body. 

When we first did the truck we were not quite sure what all we would do with it.  My son wanted to drop in the big turbo v6 and drag it.  I have autocrossed with it a little.  But Maxton was always on the list with hopefully making it to Bonneville.  We hope we can make it out this year if we get the cage sorted out and the motor does what we want it to do.  The first dyno run was pretty good - We made a few changes with the individual throttle bodies and some more head work - we hope to pick up a few more ponies.  We are getting close to the limit on the little 16V.
Joel Wolcott