Author Topic: bonneville rule book  (Read 13401 times)

Offline nitropyro

• New folks
bonneville rule book
« on: January 12, 2008, 10:07:23 PM »
hey there my name is Danny i am new to post here, been reading for awhile. anyways my dad and i are wanting to build a bike for 2011 for his 50th birthday. were in columbus ohio so that gives us time to build and save for the trip.
  what i am wondering if someone has a 06 or 07 rule book i can buy off them? i dont want to spend the $70 from the scta not knowing what the classes are or whats aloud. we dont care to break any records we just want to be on the salt and be part of the expeirence. im only 20 i will prolly pilot the bike.
  We were into the jr. drags when i was 8-17. i won the 8-9 yr old division 3 race in 1996. then we built a 79 fox body with a 302. ran low 11's. i am currently building a 402 bbc chevy astro. its influenced by the mini truck crowd i will post pics of the build im sure. next we want to try road racing and mostly the salt! so any help you can give will be appreciated. we were thinking a 400-500cc bike. we are on a tight budget. if we can be close to the competion we will be happy. anyways thats my little intruduction rant.
Danny

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: bonneville rule book
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:03:08 PM »
hey there my name is Danny i am new to post here, been reading for awhile. anyways my dad and i are wanting to build a bike for 2011 for his 50th birthday. were in columbus ohio so that gives us time to build and save for the trip.
  what i am wondering if someone has a 06 or 07 rule book i can buy off them? i dont want to spend the $70 from the scta not knowing what the classes are or whats aloud. we dont care to break any records we just want to be on the salt and be part of the expeirence. im only 20 i will prolly pilot the bike.
  We were into the jr. drags when i was 8-17. i won the 8-9 yr old division 3 race in 1996. then we built a 79 fox body with a 302. ran low 11's. i am currently building a 402 bbc chevy astro. its influenced by the mini truck crowd i will post pics of the build im sure. next we want to try road racing and mostly the salt! so any help you can give will be appreciated. we were thinking a 400-500cc bike. we are on a tight budget. if we can be close to the competion we will be happy. anyways thats my little intruduction rant.
Danny

If I remember right a rule book is only $10, about the same as one trip to a fast food joint and a lot more satisfying.  Welcome to land speed racing,

Sum

Offline nitropyro

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:41:32 AM »
dont you have to join as a member first to get a rule book? basically i dont want to spend alot of money right now to find out what class im gonna run in. ive email the scta website and had no responce if you could give me a link to buy a rule book from id apprecaite it. and yes i think a rule book is better than a big mac lol
Danny

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 11:02:12 AM »
Hi Danny,
I see on the SCTA website (http://www.scta-bni.org/Sales/SCTA.htm) where the current year rule book will not be out till March. Can you wait till then? you can buy the book without a membership.

They may have some of the 2007 rule books left over. Try emailing sales@scta-bni.org and see if they have any of last year's books.

Good Luck
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline nitropyro

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »
thanks donpearsall,
    i just came from the site and saw that, i will wait till then and get a copy. my dad, his friend and, i are talking about this and are wanting to start getting parts but we dont know whats aloud in each class. thanks for the information.
Danny

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 11:42:08 AM »
Danny, if you really really want an '07 rulebook -- I know I've got at least two of 'em, and I could send one to your for a small fee.  But you should also try the USFRA store -- www.saltflats.com -- to see if they've got 'em still.  Sometimes they have a few left once the SCTA has run out.  Try the USFRA, and if they don't -- get back to me and I'll see if I can find one spare one for you.

See you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline nitropyro

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »
Thanks Seldom Seen Slim,
i thought i had to have a member ship to get a rulebook i did not relize i could get one in march so im just gonna wait now.
thanks though
Danny

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 08:32:34 PM »
Buy a Hayabusa like everyone else and go race it. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 07:03:20 PM »
Buy a Hayabusa like everyone else and go race it. Good Luck

He said he was on a LOW budget!  :mrgreen:

Any idea what kind of 400-500cc bike your going to run? I went through quite a process before decidng on the Blast, or as some call it Be-last. I decided that racing in the Push-Rod class would be fun, and the Blast get's there without resorting to 40 year old machinery (although it is 40 year old technology. Ok, honestly, 70 or 80 year old technology...). Unfortunatly there are not a lot of current 400-500cc motorcycles around, although in the under 30 crowd, I think a CX500 would have potential.

Welcome from yet another newbie. Let's see, your dad will be 50 in 2011? Crap, I'm older than him (but young at heart!   :-D)

Ken
50 in 2010  :-P
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline nitropyro

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 07:28:38 PM »
were not sure yet on the bike. thats why we want a rule book to figure out whats aloud in the classes and what classes are there. being young at the heart is all that matters, being older just means you have more knowledge to share.
Danny

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 08:12:23 PM »
Boy do we have a lot of knowledge to share! But we keep on learning too.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 12:25:54 PM »
Frog..I wasn't joking when I said buy a Haya....There are 50 on E-bay as low as $4500. I've got that in tires and wheels let alone all the safety stuff. Once you get going on this LSR stuff everyone wants to go faster. No one says you need to go 230 in your first year but to do things 2 or 3 times to get where you are going....Save your beer cans, cardboard, newspapers, waterbottles etc for a year and buy "potential". In fact drink out of the tap and forget the water bottles and go racin in 6 months. :-D

...JD...2 cars 5 engines
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 03:18:56 PM »
..........JD...2 cars 5 engines

............ and is a 'busa in your future??

Thanks for the info on the Barbee Boys car,

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 04:52:06 PM »
Sum..I've got a hat. Life is good.

As for M/C's, I ride a Black '91 HD Heritage. a restored to stock 39 Indian Sport Scout, a Subaru overhead cam engined mini-bike and a late 60's restored Rupp Chaparel Go-Kart. I don't think I need a Busa but if someone has one connected to an inline transmission; I might cosider a partner up and put in my roadster. Turbo'd of course....JD

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 05:06:14 PM »
Nice 'toy's' Jimmy.

I agree in a sense that the cheepest way to go fast is buy a 'busa (or ZX14 etc.) However I do not think it's the cheepest way to set a record, or even to enter the '2' club if that's your goal. But that is just the opinion of a rookie who's never been on the salt - I could be out to lunch.   :lol:

Danny - you can get the AMA rules directly from the BUB web site. While not as comprehensive as the SCTA rules, they can give you an idea of classes etc. SCTA/BNI and AMA records are published on the web as well, if you want to look at class records. FWIW, even though I plan on running BUB (AMA Rules) in '08, I'm building the bike to meet SCTA/BNI rules.

Ken
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles