Author Topic: Rear end efficiency  (Read 65303 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: Rear end efficiency
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 02:21:08 AM »
       John Burk get that streamliner done, so I can see it in person!!!   George

Offline Wide Open

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 09:39:49 AM »
I am thinking about using a 7.5" S-10 or Firebird rear.  How much HP can these things handle? 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 09:50:57 AM »
I am running 900 + with AT 400  and 2200# on the rear tires  -- no torque converter
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:11:29 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 10:59:25 AM »
Strange Eng,. makes a 9 in.center section that uses 12  bolt Chev. gears. Gives you closer centerlines and the easy gear change. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 11:03:39 AM »
Chevy 12 bolt had a 2.29 available that is virtually impossible to find
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Wide Open

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 06:03:48 AM »
I am running 900 + with AT 400  and 2200# on the rear tires  -- no torque converter
You are running 900+ HP through a 7.5" rear?  What mods?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 12:07:22 PM »
none, I run it with a series 2 torsen diff that I picked up of Ebay for $ 35 - 100.

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »
I'm running a 9" Ford because of availability of gear (2.50) and strength. But, an 8" Ford is just as strong.  Nothing common below 3.00 for ratio though. 8" were common in the 69 Mustangs and up through the early 80's.
"because plan A never works"

Offline Dan Parker

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2010, 10:52:22 AM »
  I have one comment and one question..

1. The ford 8.8 is great stuff,strong,cheap,plentiful,efficient and I have a friend that says a 2.55 is available..I know 2.73's and 3.08's are everywhere.

2. question??? How efficient is a quick change?? I will be starting a bellytank soon and the partner wants a quickchange. Amy downsides to this??  Thanks for any input. Dan

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »
I have "heard" they are 2-4 percent less efficient and based on whichever other than a GM---total 5-7 less total efficiency. This is based on my best WAG   :-o interpolation on various articles I have read.

the ford 8.8 is basically the  GM 10-12 or the (Chevy 12 which is slightly different)

Mark Williams coupler for the Ford 8.8 works on my caddy 10-12.  The 10-12 has a 2.28 gear.

ymmv

Online jdincau

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »
Lots of people tell you that a quick change uses up too much horsepower. According to these sources a Hypoid (most popular third members) gear set is 92 to 96 percent efficient at power transmission. A spiral bevel (V-8 quick change) gear set and a single spur gear set are both 99 percent efficient. That makes a V-8 quick change 98.01 percent efficient. Tell me again why I should dump my quick change.

http://www.zakgear.com/Hypoid_worm.html

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Drive/Gear_Efficiency.html
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »
Jim, which base ring gear set is your V-8 QC based on?

Online jdincau

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 03:24:03 PM »
Sparky,
     It is a Halibrand, they were based on the 32-48 Ford ring and pinion. That's why they called it a V-8 as opposed to the older model A quick change which had no bearing on the pinion snout. The pinion is centered on the ring gear. Mind you I wouldn't want to push more than 600 HP through it. The later champ car quick change is based on a late 40's Ford truck rear end also having the pinion centered on the ring gear will take up to 800 HP. I have no Idea which ring and pinion the later Winters and Speedway types use.
Jim
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:30:49 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »
Dan, I think you need to look at the whole drive train for efficiency.  Depending on what you are running for a transmission you have losses there as well.  A Liberty will be more efficient than a Top Loader or Muncie and there is a study out there that claims the new pro stock Jerico is more efficient than the Liberty.  But if I were building a Lakester I would look at an early Weismann transaxle out of an Indy car or F5000 car.  They use a 12-bolt ring and pinion and you could put some monster power to it.  The one Al Teague used in his streamliner had been modified to run with a straight axle.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 05:57:31 PM »
Jim, your bevel and quick change and a GM hypoid are probably very close to a wash. --