Author Topic: Handling problems?  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Bill H

• New folks
Handling problems?
« on: January 12, 2008, 03:12:08 PM »
I have a 1981 Honda CB750K and I'm considering changing the front wheel, 19 inch to a 17 inch wheel. What kind of concerns will I be looking at?

Bill

Offline willieworld

Re: Handling problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 04:42:31 PM »
if you go to a smaller dia. tire and rim you will lower the front of the bike by 1/2 the distance of the difference in dia of the 2 tires (axel height verses axel height ) you will lower the rear of the bike none --you will also decrease the rake and trail but you can gain that back by lowering the back of the bike a like amount --if you have any handleing problems it will be worse with a large dia heavy tire and wheel   ---just some thoughts   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 02:59:29 AM »
When the 900 fireblade came out in the UK it had a 16" front wheel and the first mod that everyone did was to change to a 17", better stability and not as twitchy also a much better selection of rubber. Willie is right about rear ride heights but it is only a very small amount and you may not even notice a change in the handling best bet is change it and give her a try if I remember correctly it is dual shock with no remote resevoir on the rear so shorter shocks shouldnt be too expensive.

Cheers OZ
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:26:15 PM »
when i built sheri bike(buell) it came with a 120x16 couldnt find a v rated tire i went to a yamaha seca 2 front wheel 17x2.50 and a goodyear eagle frontrunner 22 x 2.50 x 17   tire and rim weigh 8 lbs --e bay rim 50 dollars new tire 145 dollars   axel same dia. as buell 
    willie buchta           

go th build diaries and to not just another wheel on a stick  you will see her bike
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:29:04 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 12:39:28 PM »
not a big deal....
kent