Author Topic: Hybrid Cars, Yes or No  (Read 10728 times)

dwarner

Re: Hybrid Cars, Yes or No
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for the cost run down. Looks impressive. I am now moving towards the fence concerning a purchase. My wife's Camery is starting to get costly, I think it needs CV joints.

DW

Offline JimL

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 01:29:33 AM »
I drove a 2001 Prius to Colorado and back a few years ago....49 mpg average for the trip, very good performance at high altitude, and BEST OF ALL...the steeply raked windshield got very few bug splatters! 

It was a bizarre experience.  I was driving alone, and thought something was weird with my vision.  :? Every now and then I'd see a dark streak zip through my eyesight....but I couldn't figure out what it was.  I stopped at a station to fill up and everyone was scrubbing on their windshields and complaining about the grasshopper hatching.  I looked at my nearly clean windshield and realized what those black streaks zipping over the car must have been!  The grill and front of the hood were splattered, but somehow most of the bugs follow the airstream over the windshield.

When I got to southeast Colorado, some of my rancher and farmer friends thought that was the most impressive feature of the car!  All the other fancy stuff was just OK, and the traction control was neat on a rough gravel road....because you could actually pull out and pass....but that bug free windshield was "the cats meow"! :-D

We sure live in fun times.
Regards, JimL

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 10:42:43 AM »

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 04:05:02 PM »
how does it really stack up once you pull out the taxpayer incentives.

I don't like the government's thumb on the scale of commerce for any reason.

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 09:01:41 PM »
They still stack up pretty good, there's a lot of hidden subsidies for all fossil fuels, much more than for alternative energy or hybrids or whatever.

Re the Prius: also no cam drive belt, they use a chain.  Our immediate family has about 600k miles on 3 examples.  Everything Jim posted is true (we live in Maine.). I did have to put a set of pads on my daughter's '06 last fall at about 200k miles.  She drives a bit aggressively though.  My '04 still looks like new underneath, I did have to change a muffler a few months ago, pipe failed due to corrosion = holes on top of pipe.
E-Racer

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 01:31:09 PM »
How much to replace the battery pack when it goes toes up? Also, how much energy is used to produce said battery? How many trees do you have to plant to earn the carbon credits to off-set battery production losses?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 05:09:05 PM »
How much to replace a battery pack?  Who knows - I've yet to meet anybody who has had to replace one.

I'll believe any number you tell me.  But as this technology continues, it's a certain bet to say that it will cost less in 3 years than today.

I view the subsidies as simply a matter of "casting bread upon the water".

A classic example - the technology that came out of the space program.

The forced advances brought on by government money seemed egregious at the time, but today, you can drop two quarters into a gumball machine and get a LCD watch.

How much do you pay for your satellite link?  Maybe the hospital doesn't need one?

If we wait for the markets - especially the oil markets - to dictate a transportation direction, we'll always be behind the 8-ball.

Is the market for hybrids artificial?  For the time being, yes.  But while we didn't think we needed cars when we had trains, it didn't stop government from paving roads.

Public service airports are largely held by regions or municipalities, and subsidized by the same.

The government gave 200,000,000 acres in land grants to the railroads as an incentive to make commerce and transportation more efficient. 

New York State money built the Erie canal.

Government carrots-on-sticks is how long-range American transportation and technology issues have been mapped for 200 years.  Hybrid subsidies fall right into that category.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline salt27

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 06:56:10 PM »
I think Oregon has a special fee for Hybrids because they aren't paying enough in fuel taxes.

Now there's some incentive.   :roll:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 07:22:20 PM »
Sometime in the past I saw 10K to replace a battery pack. No idea if accurate then or now (warranty excepted)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline RansomT

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 07:35:58 PM »
Sometime in the past I saw 10K to replace a battery pack. No idea if accurate then or now (warranty excepted)

OEM Ford Fusion battery is around $3400, Toyota Prius is around $2900.   Estimates on the life expectancy of the Fusion battery pack is 300k miles.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 08:03:19 PM »

OEM Ford Fusion battery is around $3400, Toyota Prius is around $2900.   Estimates on the life expectancy of the Fusion battery pack is 300k miles.
Thanks for more accurate info. I think the issue, you may agree, is not the usual wear and tear life expectancy, but what happens if  a cell goes bad (right after warranty expires of course) and needs replacing at owners cost.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 08:06:22 PM »
Not to mention the disposal of said battery...

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 09:14:37 AM »
I view the subsidies as simply a matter of "casting bread upon the water"?

Solyndra

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 09:25:37 AM »
I view the subsidies as simply a matter of "casting bread upon the water"?

Solyndra

The Credit Mobilier Scandal
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »
hybrid??? Nitro and alcohol??? :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.