Author Topic: stockcar in LSR  (Read 6867 times)

Offline rmoreck

• New folks
stockcar in LSR
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:40:01 PM »
Can anyone tell me what class a cup car might fit in, if any?

dwarner

Re: stockcar in LSR
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »
None.

Use the search function on the mesage board, type in NASCAR and read some of the many discussions on this subject.

DW

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 11:01:01 PM »
The sad truth of the matter is, there was a time when NASCAR stockers with a little work could have fit into an LSR production category, and probably would have been pretty competitive.  But as long as NASCAR continues to try to fool people into thinking that Dodge is building two-door Chargers again, there's really no reason to take it off the trailer.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »
Come on Dan, Time Only is a Class... If fact, it could be the nascar cup class for LSR,

Kent, my nascar races last 13 seconds, you must be using the 1.5 GPF race track....   
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline GH

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 10:24:10 AM »
Stainless 1, if I used M&M's would it still be considered NASCAR?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »
I believe Kent's Skittles are more colorful, but I haven't tried M&Ms, do they sink or float a little...  :?  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:21:07 PM »
Why do we need to add a NASCAR class. if they want to run in time only but to make a class for them I don't think it's needed. We have tons of hot rod and M/C classes now and many are not used. :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »
Here is a little tidbit out of the rulebook, I capitlized, in red, a key word:
1.B   CLASSIFICATION:
It is the responsibility of the owner and/or driver to enter a vehicle in its proper class. However, a vehicle is subject to class verification by the Contest Board at any time. THE SCTA/BNI CONTEST BOARD WILL NOT RECLASSIFY A VEHICLE ENTERED IN THE WRONG CLASS. ALL VEHICLES WILL RUN ONLY IN THE LOWEST PRIMARY CLASS/ CATEGORY FOR WHICH THEY ARE LEGAL. IF A VEHICLE IS NOT LEGAL FOR A SPECIFIC CLASS IT MAY NOT NECESSARILY BE LEGAL FOR ANOTHER CLASS. THE VEHICLE SHALL MEET ALL CLASS REQUIREMENTS TO BE LEGAL FOR COMPETITION. ONCE A VEHICLE HAS LEFT THE STARTING LINE, THE ENTRY NAME AND CLASSIFICATION INFORMATION WILL NOT BE CHANGED.

If an appropriate class exists, a vehicle shall run in that class. Any vehicle which is not legal for any class, but meets all technical regulations, MAY be allowed to for time only. No trophies will be awarded for "time only” entries. Any questions regarding the proper classification of a vehicle shall be directed to the class chairperson as listed in Section 17.

With all the recent talk of too many entries, lack of housing, etc. the suggestion was made here to drop time only entries. If this happens it may preclude the running of NASCAR types.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 03:16:09 PM »
Stainless 1, if I used M&M's would it still be considered NASCAR?

GH,

I think if you use M&M's it's a Toyota... :-D

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 08:54:42 PM »
I see safety related issues in non class run only for time cars.
Cars have to be built in accordance with the speed that the current record is set at. If there is no class or record a car that is able to run 300+ could roll up without having the appropriate cage, fire abatement or other safety related items that are variable in a class depending on the speed of the current record.

I am not apposed to NASCAR’s (or any other non classified vehicle) running but imo should conform to a "time only outlaw body class" that would have to conform to the safety spects for the fastest vehicles running.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 01:22:50 AM »
A NASCAR run at Bonneville with no stock body parts would have a home in Streamliner Class.
 That ottadoit. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 02:15:39 AM »

Jack, I think you've answered ALL the future "NASCAR"- note the quotes- wannabees queries for perpetuity!!

Next subject, PLEASE!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline rmoreck

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 01:01:22 PM »
Sorry guys my original post was obviously too short and was not clearly worded in my intent to become involved in LSR.I did not expect a new class to be initiated. I  was seeking advice on what class my car would fit and what modifications it would take to make it legal for a class. Any form of racing is a hugh outlay of time and money and I would not be interested in entering a class such as time only with the possibility of not being allowed to race.
   As for the post by JackD my car is a 2004 montecarlo and it does have stock body parts ie. hood,roof,decklid etc. The remaining panels are duplicates of originals, it fits templates of the stock montecarlo.
   After reviewing the SCTA 2007 rule book I determined that with modifications the car may fit 5.D.4 modified sports rules. I seek clarification on this determination and any advice on all the correct modifications it might take to meet the specifications of this class.
   I apologise for any previous contraversy and hold nothing but respect for anyone involved in this racing venue. Hopefully I may find a place among you.
   Ron 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »
Welcome, rmoreck -

NASCAR is a sore spot for a few of us - don't take it personal.

You might want to take a closer look at your rule book, because I think the class you're looking at, 5.D.4, ie: Modified Sports, would preclude a car with a rear seat.  The class you site references the GT class as its basis (5.E.3) - "production sports cars as accepted for GT class".

Are you intending to run your vehicle as front wheel drive?  If so, I think Gas Coupe (GC - 5.D.3) is where you're headed.

GALT (5.D.2) might be where you're headed if you're going rear wheel drive.

And if I'm wrong on this, I know somebody will correct me.  :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

dwarner

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 02:06:28 PM »
Is your car a NASCAR deal? That was what I based my original answer on.

Short explanation, that type of purpose built race car does not fit into the class structure in any form. The Mod Sports is is for sports cars. A 4 door Monte Carlo is far removed from the type. You were not the first to seek a class to race a NASCAR type. Without the research you couldn't have known the previous discussions. Not your fault.

There is/was a group of 8-12 NASCAR runners who wanted to add a class for their cars. It was determined that it would be too difficult to keep the class within restrictive guidelines. The main point was that the cars were built to do a certain type of racing and the prolification of our classes did not support the addition of an additional class for other than a LSR vehicle.

There are approx. 800 car and 1800 motorcycle classes currently available. Some will argue that in recent years new classes have been added that do not benefit the sport. Classes for classic cars, 1928-1981 American coupes and rear engine modified roadsters were expansions of exisiting classes.

We don't mean to beat up on you. You were just a wee bit late to the party,

Please do not be discouraged by the lack of a class. Check into the USFRA, www.saltflats.com. Maybe LVMAXX can work with you to make a NASCAR event happen at World of Speed.

DW