Author Topic: "The Body" as sketched by Rex................  (Read 13793 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: "The Body" as sketched by Rex................
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 12:50:54 AM »
.............................oops , I just checked out your site and the altered versions there and the elevated scoop you have sketched.....however ....Is there a case for maybe ducting air from the leading edge of the side pods where the pressure would be quite high? Hit me.

I wanted to duct the air front the nose like Sam does with EZ-Hook, but there is too much stuff in the way, the suspension.  Same with the leading edge of the side pods where the front cross-member is right in that area and not really any easy way to get the air past the driver.  It would have been good though,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 09:33:57 AM »
O/T, but...

Re: Bock's Car, haven't you caught any flack for the name?

Panic... now that is funny  :-D
I guess it is actually Bockscar 3, Fred built a car on Tinian from parts, I have a picture somewhere of it in front of the Bockscar.  Fred and the guys loved the car when he and the entire 509th held their reunion at Wendover back in 1990 during Speedweek.  The nose art was modified to reflect different track locations.  History is a great thing when not modified by political correctness....  :roll:
Here is a old canopy that didn't survive the 1999 spin.  :-o  Just a little more history, but still dodging the flack...  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline GH

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »
Stiainless 1, isn't the 509th the group that is based at Whiteman flying the B2's?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 11:24:36 AM »
Yes, It was revived for that purpose, just like the old 509th, it is a small fleet of airplanes with a nuclear purpose, but able to carry on a conventional mission as required.  Lots of real history there.  I spent a lot of time at the inactive Whiteman AFB in the 70's, Mole-hole and Christmas Tree, fixing Buffs on satellite alert.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 05:26:58 PM »
Howdy, :-D

Your comments about the 509th got my attention and I thought that I would send you a website to take a look at. :lol:

www.powertechnologyconsultants.com I have a little diddy on there about B-29s. My old mentor is listed and was on the crew of Luke the Spook (instrumented, no armament). Remember that the insignia of the 509th at one time was an arrow in a circle which was also called the fickle finger of fate! My mentor was hand picked by LeMay and at one time ran the engine shop at Ramstein. He raced at Bonneville for the first time in 1955 or so. All the guys in the pic were in SAC at the time out of Carswell AFB TX. 8-)

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 10:05:16 PM »
In ALL seriousness- you guys that kept the cold war from becoming a Hot war have all my respect. U're just doin yer duty, I know, but thanx!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)