Author Topic: Parachute Tubes.....  (Read 12011 times)

Offline Howard

Re: Parachute Tubes.....
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 02:51:57 PM »
We used to tape the shroud lines together every three or four feet with six or eight wraps of masking tape. It made a noticeable difference in the impact and worked for us until we got back home and could get the correct chute for our application.
Howard

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »
Howard your anchor points worked well at 250....but put me on my head at 300.... after my incident at speed week last year I started doing a lot of research about anchor points and tow line lengths planning for 350 speeds...both Deist and Stroud have 2 completely different views on anchoring placement, both do throw CG and balance points into their sentences, but neither will give you a concrete answer. Howard< Deists location sounds logical but lacks 1 big factor and another is questionable... first, Deists finding of vehicle centers is logical but then he has you walk back behind the vehicle to an imaginary point and hold your string up... the overhead height is where he wants you to fly your chute... I'm not sure i want to fly my chute 10' in the air.!.... I think I will hold my chute about chest high... but the biggest problem is "how long is the string?" the string length is supposed to be the "tow" line length.. And when pressed for an answer he said, "However long you want it" when I continued to ask I got the " how fast and how hard you want it? So basically a vague answer and something I need to find for myself....
So on to the Stroud conversation.... Bob's anchor point is cut and dry "vertical and horizontal centerlines" no variations.... this answer doesn’t take in consideration for balance like Deist’s but hey you could always hang your vehicle like Akatiff did just to be safe... and as for tow length? "Whatever you want?".... So after some more consulting I have decided on Deists anchor location and 2 times vehicle length for low speed tow lines (50') and 3 times length for hi speed (70')

Now lets talk about tow line... my current chutes have no tow line as the risers go all the way to the anchor and are 4straps of .74" wide line.... very thick and bulky.. I plan to replace it with 1 strap 1.25 wide tow line... it should reduce the bulk of my complete system...
Kent

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 09:23:26 PM »
Stainless: Re your query a few above, my contention on the weakness of the statement re; mounting I believe it should say SHROUD LINE (or TETHER) ANCHORAGE.

The last sentence of my above post should have described clearly my dilemma.

DW already contacted me off the website with an answer that in spite of his irrefutable reputation and clear-mindedness, still didn't satisfy me .

Being a non-participent, although a BNI member, -hence -INTERESTED BYSTANDER -my suggestion was relayed thru a long-time SCTA record-holder for the '08 rulebook.

A couple of my/our suggestions were implemented, I've been told.

My background is a mostly drag car builder for thirty plus years who constantly looks for ways to bend rules and although the chute mount rule isn't something ANYONE would want to scrimp on I try to read everything I can into ALL rules hence my concern about it being vague.

With that, here's a quote from the late Colin Chapman for ALL designer/fabricators:

"Rules are for the interpretation of wise men. . .and the obedience of FOOLS"

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Howard

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 10:34:03 PM »
Kent,
I used the same system on the new liner I built and drove to 305. It worked great. Earl Wooden and Charles Nearburg have gone over 370 with the car and it worked well for them. It appears the chute towline attachment was not the problem in your incident.
I'm sorry it happened and glad you weren't hurt but that car has been changed so much since I sold that I have no idea what's going on with it now.
Howard

Offline hitz

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 11:19:51 AM »

I'm with Kent on this one. Stroud and Deist both gave me instructions where to mount the chute anchor. I respect both of them but using the suggested methods of finding the anchor position gave results that were over 18" apart.

I tried to buy from Deist first but couldn't seem to get a cost estimate. I tried Stroud (he answered the phone) and got a price and time of shipment (optimistic) but I told him I wasn't in a big hurry. He suggested I mount the chute at the CG. Made sense to me. Still, the first time I pull the chute it will be with a big question mark in my thoughts. I think the chute anchor would have to be perfect not to unload one end or the other. Seems like it would be better to unload the front a little than the back.

Thoughts of a rookie. :-o

Harv

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 11:42:26 AM »
   I'm with Kent on this one. Stroud and Deist both gave me instructions where to mount the chute anchor. I respect both of them but using the suggested methods of finding the anchor position gave results that were over 18" apart.
 Harv

Harv, the length of the shrouds make a difference, as does the size and shape of the chute.  I am surprised at 18 inches difference, that is a lot.  If ours was 18 inches different, it would be in the air, on either above or below.  If you are talking fore and aft, properly done, I don't that makes a difference.
Go with the recommendation of the manufacturer you chose....  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 03:05:25 PM »
The information is quite scattered isn't it ?
Each has their own theory based on their experience.
All things that should be considered are not mentioned.
The USAF tests are the closest to getting it right, and the results were only really valid for that airplane package and the repeatable speeds.
Does anybody remember the 200mph + a little bit, Ardun roadster with the short coupled 16 foot ring slot ?
What a mistake that was.
It deserves a chapter in a book. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »
An idle thought followed by a rhetorical question:  How fast is the space shuttle when it touches down and where does NASA have the chutes attached?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »
Watch the chute carefully and you will see that it is made to open at a designated rate so as to not shock anything and unnecessarily increase the loading.
It also benefits from the aerodynamic loading when the nose is held up as long as it will.
As it rolls to a stop. the attitude of the machine changes quite a bit, and with it the geometry of the pull of the chute.
Bigger ain't always better.
Every animal is different, and 1 size doesn't fit all. :wink:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 05:53:46 PM »
get a small digital camera and mount it on the tail fin---it will tell you where your "trailing wake is"  that will give you some clues as to where let the canop end up..   I caught all kinds of flack about where and why I wanted to mount my chutes---I now have film of my chute coming out straight and flying straight and LEVEL--- for anyone that wants to look at it..

Wake May change as I change the rear of the car...
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 10:26:04 PM »
-----I now have film of my chute coming out straight and flying straight and LEVEL--- for anyone that wants to look at it..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtGmGTHK6qc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPnvgj1Bdgk&feature=user

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »
Makes my cheeks pucker every time I watch those... realism at its best...  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O