Author Topic: Seat, belts and head restraint..................  (Read 17507 times)

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
Re: Seat, belts and head restraint..................
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »
Kent,

Our harness keeps me in pretty tight with very little movement. I think one possibility as to why my neck was stiff/sore afterwards had to do with the canopy ripping away from the body. As soon as it did, I remember trying to "tuck in". I gripped the controls with everything I had, worried about my arms dangling outside, and also tried to tuck my head so as not to hit the top of the roll cage when it went upside down. Don't know if I would have actually hit it or not, it was more just acting on instinct.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 11:46:43 AM »
Kent,

Our harness keeps me in pretty tight with very little movement. I think one possibility as to why my neck was stiff/sore afterwards had to do with the canopy ripping away from the body. As soon as it did, I remember trying to "tuck in". I gripped the controls with everything I had, worried about my arms dangling outside, and also tried to tuck my head so as not to hit the top of the roll cage when it went upside down. Don't know if I would have actually hit it or not, it was more just acting on instinct.

I can't imagine not being sore at least somewhere after a crash like that.  Maybe Kent has some built-in padding you don't have  :evil: or engaged his on board compressed air attached to the hose that goes..............well we won't go there.

Thanks for the encouragement on the build Rocky,

Sum

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »
Sum,
Feel free to post my sketches.......................Rex

I posted them under a new topic .............................

"The Body" as sketched by Rex" in the build section also:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3408.0.html

........................  thanks Rex, you got pretty close to where I want to go with the body,

Sum

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 08:53:14 PM »
hey hey now...thats ballast not padding... I add ballast one bite at a time.....
kent

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 09:51:43 PM »
I sure like what the 7th belt does...
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 09:56:23 PM »
Apparently NHRA likes the 7th belt also, after Force's debacle, as I believe they are now required at the digs from TAFC up.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 11:19:26 PM »
Sum, I can't tell from the pictures, where you are installing the 1 7/8 inch trailer hitchball for your backup restraint system...  :-o  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 11:44:44 PM »
Sum, I can't tell from the pictures, where you are installing the 1 7/8 inch trailer hitchball for your backup restraint system...  :-o  :-D

Everything I have uses a 2 inch ball  :-P

And here I thought you were posting to give me the dates you would be over here to help me get the motor up and running.  Seriously I do have a couple questions if I could call you sometime.  No speed secrets just some general get it running types.  Don't forget you want me to do something with that "soft record" before you put it out of reach  :cry: .

c ya,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 12:00:04 AM »
Apparently NHRA likes the 7th belt also, after Force's debacle, as I believe they are now required at the digs from TAFC up.
[/quote
The 7th belt, that is designed to tension against the shoulder straps,
 and keep the harness from rolling up and allowing your lid to compress your neck in an upset, was first used in the car that Kent went on his head with.
Subsequent to that , the SCTA rule was modified for certain seating positions.
NHRA is following SCTA again. :wink:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 12:22:09 AM »
Hate to correct the post by JACKD, but NHRA is recognizing the SIXTH  and SEVENTH belts.  FIVE point is what's been required. I've seen a couple of examples  of the 7 point hat aren't too cool. Dennis Taylor in So Cal sells the best lash-up IMHOP.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 12:45:50 AM »
They all must be SFI approved and tested before they can be sold, and are manufactured to the same specification.
A search around here will suggest the value if the 6 point harness,
and prior to that, it was popular to put a small bulkhead feature in the base of the seat to keep you from going forward (tunneling), but that put a great deal of pressure on the base of your spine that was not a good idea.
If you ever crashed hard against a single crotch strap, the future of you functionality would be in jeopardy.
 The 7th point originated with a Bonneville car, and the SCTA rule reflects the requirements.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:56:05 AM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 01:34:24 AM »
When i first started racing the car the SCTA tech guys didnt like my harness system.. there was a big scuttle about it amongst all the tech guys when i first showed up. they actually wrote in my log book that "I had an unconventional harness and they didnt recommend it?" but figured it looked safer so they let me race it.  Then we rolled in aug the tech guys impounded my log book... i forgot who it was, but later a SCTA inspector came over and asked "did they really write in your log book that they didnt like your belt system?" I would like to thank Jack Dolan for designing it and Auto Power for building it... It did its job and saved my life... oh and I didnt even get a scratch
love ya jack and wheres my 5 bucks
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 05:25:03 AM »
Ya, and you ain't gonna get any of my scratch either !
I would rather owe it to you than beat you out of it. :wink:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 09:16:42 AM »
Sum, I'll PM you my number, speed secrets  :? wish I had some, but I'll tell you everything I know  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 10:24:01 AM »
Sum, I'll PM you my number, speed secrets  :? wish I had some, but I'll tell you everything I know  :|

I got the number, thanks, I'll call,

Sum