Author Topic: Thrust Powered Motorcycle(s) Rules for it?  (Read 7307 times)

Offline vintagemxr

• Old Fahrt
  • New folks
    • Photographs: Cars. Bikes, Airplanes, and People
Re: Thrust Powered Motorcycle(s) Rules for it?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 09:55:49 PM »
JetBikeOwner1,  Your bike looks similar Bob Corel's jet bike from the early 90s   Picture below of Bob and I with his bike at the Del Mar Concours back about 1995 or so.  Bob and I used to fly hang gliders together back in the early '70s when that sport was pretty new.

Doug

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 12:57:46 AM »
Well, to anwser the questions...I live in Twin Falls, Idaho...about 4 1/2 hours from Bonneville Salt Flats.

Welcome to the site and cool bike!

I was born and raised in Twin Falls, Id and haven't been there in about 16-17 years. I have heard it's changed wuite a bit.

Scott

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 01:22:47 AM »
Small World Huh ?  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 05:35:12 AM »
Jack...come on old man... your gonna have to start givin me some credit... i've done plenty of stupid stuff on my own without someone pushin me into it....Hey did i mention ide race that blow bike.?.... :-D
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 06:45:48 AM »
Kent's first time to attend an LSR event, 24 years ago, taught him some lessons that are uncommon for a first timer.
 I know they stick with him, and influence him like nothing else can.
He will do fine, you just have to be patient with him. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 01:06:27 PM »
Just got back from Coniston, England where speed enthusiasts commemorate the seven records achieved by Donald Campbell in the jet powered boat K7, whose final attempt took place on January 4th. 

Great to see further thrust powered interest on two wheels.

If you were not so far away 'jetbikeowner' you could set records on airfields here in the UK - Auto Cycle Union for National British and FIM for International (World) - and I could arrange this, as Gabriel posted.

The ACU and FIM have a class for thrust powered two wheelers and you can run jet or rocket.  The Maximum Impulse team of Richard Brown has used both methods; jet and jet/rocket on a tarmac runway and then rockets only on the Bonneville salt.  The 'Boost Palouste' was a ride on bike (set the ACU British Record) and the 'Gillette Mach3 Challenger' was a lie down streamliner - moved the British record to 216 mph on a 1.9 mile runway.  See these projects at www.jet-pack.co.uk 

As others have indicated, Denis Manning and the Bub meeting can accommodate thrust powered two wheelers (Denis hates such bikes being called "motorcycles").  Best one way non record speed in this 'class' will be Richard's 332.877 mph for the kilo or 330.639 mph for the mile.

Should you need 'wobble room' some parts of Edwards AFB (including the groomed runway) were not suitable in 1998/1999, according to the Maximum Impulse technical director.  If you want tarmac try the Dolly Varden straight on Highway 93A south of Wendover, but again little safety margin to the sides.  (Maybe Kent would notwant to ride on this road?)

Malcolm Pittwood.
Team Administrator - Team Maximum Impulse.
UK 
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »
good asumption there Malcolm....
KENT