Author Topic: Thrust Powered Motorcycle(s) Rules for it?  (Read 7309 times)

Offline JetBikeOwner1

• New folks
Thrust Powered Motorcycle(s) Rules for it?
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:37:32 AM »
What's the best way to aquire a complete rule book for LSR vehicles?  :?
I've had thousands of people ask me "How fast does it go?" It's run 250+ at an Air Show and delaminated both tires...LSR tires are being looked into, solving that problem.
I'm attempting to reconfigure my Jet Bike to run on the salt and/or dry lake to get the answer once and for all... providing I can get it set up to do it. Any help to point me in the right direction is greatly apprieciated!  :-D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 12:52:39 PM by JetBikeOwner1 »

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
Re: Thrust Powered Motorcycle(s) Rules for it?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:28:47 AM »
Contact Malcolm Pittwood in England. He coordinates speed records for several teams, and usually posts on this site. If you need, I can get you his details. Regards, Gabriel.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:13:06 AM »
If you are in the US, I would contact the Bub folks, I'd bet Denis would consider your bike part of the "draw" to his meet, I would sure like to see it run.  A link to their site is on the main page of his site. 
Unfortunately there is not 1 consolidated set of LSR rules anywhere, different organizations have different rules.  Most don't allow reaction propulsion due to risk of injury and liability.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »
SCTA/BNI does not have a class for thrust vehicles. One thing I see on the bike is that a lot of salt and dirt would be ingested into the intake on the turbine.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 12:37:26 PM »
Boy, Howdy - you actually ride that thing? :-o
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:56:53 PM »
Thrust driven jet machines are not compatible with natural surfaces, in part because they tend to inhale loose particles (FOD) into the intake on a jet turbine.
That is why turbine powered vehicles driving the wheels have their intake so high.
Others, including rocket powered land vehicles, often blow away the loose material on the track that would normally just be a soft spot for a wheel driven vehicle and it leaves a hole.
With that, they are not a good idea at a meet or surface used by wheel driven vehicles.
Unfortunately bad ideas seem to never end.
The 17,000 ft. main runway at Edwards would be just about the longest useble paved segment you can expect to have available, but you need more room to stop than most would imagine.
An open bike in particular is limited as to the stopping force because it is a good idea to have the rider that is sitting on top , stop at the same rate.
If you project to run 250 for any distance like a mile, there Street Bikes going faster than that now, and are available to run along side to film the action.  :|
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline JetBikeOwner1

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 01:08:19 PM »
Well, to anwser the questions...I live in Twin Falls, Idaho...about 4 1/2 hours from Bonneville Salt Flats.
The front end needs to be looked into as far as the inlet is concerned, that's another reason for not running on salt yet.
The reaction thrust you spoke of... ? the engine is brought up to full power at the  starting point and the afterburner is hit there as well.
the bike runs mid-low 8's @ 190+ 1/4 mi., however if quickness is not a factor, the tail pipe can be reduced in size to create greater static thrust. That's the way It's done at a drag strip, I need to get to an event to watch how you guys (and gals) do it!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 01:12:48 PM »
Speed Week starts on 8-18-08, come and enjoy the racing. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 01:44:08 PM »
take the tail off and i'll race it for ya..
Kent

Offline rockstar

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 02:07:13 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that there is no many things that Kent would not race :-D
you old adrenalin junkie you :-D
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline JetBikeOwner1

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 02:18:24 PM »
Thanks Glen, I think I can make that one!
I also have a little ethanol powered, turbo-charged, 1327cc KZ small tire drag bike I could always bring up as well to see what catagory it could run in or just for fun??? It runs 8's at over 160 in the 1/4 mile...9.2's with the street tire.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 04:01:04 PM »
You should be able to aquire a rule book for 2008 from the SCTA-BNI home page with a month or so. As Glen stated come out and enjoy the time trials but without specific approval I would leave your "trust" machine at home for a SCTA-BNI event. 4 wheel trust vehicles are not allowed;  so I can not see where a 2 wheel one would be.

As stated above the BUB meet would be a good starting point......Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 04:14:07 PM »
If you get past the logistics, we can also talk about directional stability that not only depends on the travel through the air from various directions over the distance, but lateral traction to keep it straight down the road as it is being pushed from the extreme rear.
It is not unlike shooting pool with a rope.

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 06:21:17 PM »
I'll race it for ya..!..... :-D
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »
I'll race it for ya..!..... :-D
kent
The line behind Kent is long, but if you look carefully, they are all pushing him. :-D